Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sigh.....Leave Your Personal Items At Home....
TwinMama 07:34 AM 02-01-2016
So my families don't seem to remember us discussing the whole don't bring toys here.

I have a toy singing Christmas carols here today. The first sign of fighting over it I'm going to put away.

I also have an issue with them bringing breakfast here when I serve breakfast. I've told them this from the beginning. So they bring their bag of dry cereal that they don't eat any of because they eat the yogurt and fresh fruit I serve.

It's always....."dck wouldn't leave without this."

Anyone else deal with this too? I know...it's not a big dea and I end up throwing it away or putting away the toy, but it's just annoying.
Ariana 08:04 AM 02-01-2016
I make the parents leave with the toys and with the food. "give toy back to mommy, give mommy the cereal....ok bye bye mommy". She will eventually get it. All of my parents got it after the first or second time after doing that. Nothing like having to bring a half eaten bagel with cream cheese back to the car with you

If they don't eat what I serve then it's not my problem!
Thriftylady 08:08 AM 02-01-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I make the parents leave with the toys and with the food. "give toy back to mommy, give mommy the cereal....ok bye bye mommy". She will eventually get it. All of my parents got it after the first or second time after doing that. Nothing like having to bring a half eaten bagel with cream cheese back to the car with you

I agree with this. And any toys that I didn't catch at the door get put in the cubby until time to go home.
ChelseaB 08:15 AM 02-01-2016
For me I do things a little differently -- I don't forbid toys or items from home except electronics. However, I have it written into my policies that while I don't forbid some items, I am also not responsible for them. I will try to give them back at the end of the day, but I will not go out of my way to keep track either. In short, if it's valuable or sentimental, you're better off to leave them home, otherwise, it may find a new home here or it could possibly get broken. On the other hand, if the item causes fighting or interruptions, it will get taken away promptly and put up. As for food, I'm not on the food program, so I don't usually mind the occasional food from home...but DCK may have to share! And if it's junk food, forget it. I just throw it away after mom or dad leaves. I don't have time to parent the parent, so I just pick my battles lol
daycare 08:35 AM 02-01-2016
I have no problem being the mean guy in this situation.

Either give it back to mom or dad or I am going to take it and I won't give it back.

Then I give the parents the stink eye.
Snowmom 08:47 AM 02-01-2016
I hand toys back.
I do have a show/tell day and that is the only time anything from home is allowed and it immediately goes back in their cubby once we complete the activity.

Food:
I've actually threatened to terminate a contract once to a family that would not say no to dck everyday.
Dad kept bringing in snack food at drop off. No matter how many times I handed it back and told him it was not allowed (I have 2 kids with food allergies and he knows this).
Some parents just don't get that it's ok to say no to their children.
mamamanda 08:55 AM 02-01-2016
Dcg brought new toys today. She got them for her birthday. I don't forbid it, but neither do I accept responsibility for them and if there is the slightest bit of fighting it goes in their cubby until pickup. The rule is if you bring it you have to share it. And as always, it was in the cubby by breakfast time. No one ever wants to share things from home.
Boymom 09:30 AM 02-01-2016
I swear we have the exact same family lol! This exact situation happens allllll the time!
Blackcat31 09:33 AM 02-01-2016
'Hotel California' rule for toys.....

"They can check in but they can never leave."

Makes kids think twice about bringing toys etc in from home.

I've had a few parents "test" this rule.

I thanked them for their donation and it never happened again.
HL0605 09:34 AM 02-01-2016
This happens here all the time, sigh. Today I have a 4 yo dcg with a small choking hazard toy and a bobby pin loosely in her hair. I took both away and am the meanest person ever to her today.
daycarediva 09:37 AM 02-01-2016
Toys are for share days only. I hand them back to the parent. If it IS a share day, it goes into the cubby for sharing time and goes back in the cubby after share time.
Unregistered 10:47 AM 02-01-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Oh my gawd! I'm soooooo using this!!
MunchkinWrangler 10:53 AM 02-01-2016
I also find the "bringer" can never share these toys as well as them being hazards for infants. Personal toys always get directed back to the entryway. I'm considering adding a policy about it.
kendallina 11:39 AM 02-01-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:

Yes, this exactly. Make the parents take it right away, they will not keep doing it.
Blackcat31 11:39 AM 02-01-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Oh my gawd! I'm soooooo using this!!
This is how it's addressed in my handbook

Toys/Items From Home:

We have what we like to call the "Hotel California" rule for this situation. Any toys brought from home will NOT be returned to the child so please do not allow your child to bring toys or items from home into the child care facility.

I have spent an enormous amount of time purchasing developmentally appropriate and educational toys/activities for the children in my care.

When items are brought from home, it can cause undue stress and anxiety for a child. Any item brought into the child care home becomes my responsibility as well as my liability, so please make sure ALL toys/items from home remain in your vehicle so they do not pose an issue here.

Occasionally a child may be invited to bring something from home for sharing purposes. In these situations, items need to be clearly marked with child's name. These items should also be handed directly to the provider and will then be returned directly from provider to parent upon pick up.

TwinMama 04:35 AM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by ChelseaB:
For me I do things a little differently -- I don't forbid toys or items from home except electronics. However, I have it written into my policies that while I don't forbid some items, I am also not responsible for them. I will try to give them back at the end of the day, but I will not go out of my way to keep track either. In short, if it's valuable or sentimental, you're better off to leave them home, otherwise, it may find a new home here or it could possibly get broken. On the other hand, if the item causes fighting or interruptions, it will get taken away promptly and put up. As for food, I'm not on the food program, so I don't usually mind the occasional food from home...but DCK may have to share! And if it's junk food, forget it. I just throw it away after mom or dad leaves. I don't have time to parent the parent, so I just pick my battles lol
Omg....yes. All my parents claim they have healthy eating habits yet they bring disgusting foods that their kids didn't finish for breakfast. The one has an overweight child that they actually have wear a fit bit and the Dad brought chocolate milk and glazed donuts for her. Drives me nuts.
TwinMama 04:36 AM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I love this!!!!
TwinMama 04:39 AM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I hand toys back.
I do have a show/tell day and that is the only time anything from home is allowed and it immediately goes back in their cubby once we complete the activity.

Food:
I've actually threatened to terminate a contract once to a family that would not say no to dck everyday.
Dad kept bringing in snack food at drop off. No matter how many times I handed it back and told him it was not allowed (I have 2 kids with food allergies and he knows this).
Some parents just don't get that it's ok to say no to their children.
Yes!!! Omg....I can't believe how my parents come and say...."he/she wouldn't leave home without it."

Um...dance parent dance. I can clearly see who is in charge.
midaycare 06:32 AM 02-03-2016
Toys from home cause a big issue. There is not much purpose bringing a toy here, because it goes straight to the cubby, not to be seen again until pickup.

I also "lose" toys that come in that aren't appropriate. One dcg brought a rock shaped like a heart. Dcf's know that is a toy comes through my door, I do not guarantee it's return.

I have this same rule about socks Man, where do the socks GO???
Lorna 06:45 AM 02-03-2016
I make the parents take the toy when they leave. Then they can be the bad guy taking it from them.
Unregistered 06:46 AM 02-03-2016
I am always amazed by the inappropriate toys that kids con their parents into bringing. In the last month I have had a child bring the cats toy from home and another child from a different family bring a dog chew toy!! GROSS!! What kind of nitwit thinks it's okay to let toddlers carry around those germ infested items then bring them into a daycare?
midaycare 08:03 AM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am always amazed by the inappropriate toys that kids con their parents into bringing. In the last month I have had a child bring the cats toy from home and another child from a different family bring a dog chew toy!! GROSS!! What kind of nitwit thinks it's okay to let toddlers carry around those germ infested items then bring them into a daycare?
"But I couldn't tell them no..."
Unregistered 09:22 AM 02-03-2016
Dance my puppets! Dance!
Crazy Baby 11:38 AM 02-04-2016
I just posted something similar to this on another thread. I have been taking the toy and putting it out of the childrens' reach as soon as the parent leaves. Sometimes I even throw the food directly into the garbage because I am so fed up with families who are unable to follow the rules.
thrivingchildcarecom 12:29 PM 02-04-2016
All the time! Well I should say until I starting asking mom or dad to take it with them when they leave. I explain that its their child's toy and they may not want to share it here, but all of my toys they understand they need to share. Usually they get it and take it with them. If they insist on leaving it, I ask them to put it in their cubbie and not get it again until its time to go home (which is why they should not bring it).

I actually have a short note that you could use to kind of "remind" the parents about this policy. If you would like me to share it just send me a PM with your email and I will forward it.
Unregistered 09:56 AM 02-06-2016
Opposite here....I purposely allow one toy from home each day. If a toy is left from a previous day that toy must leave with the parent in the morning. I want kids to have something from home. They are not required to share it. BUT they can NOT choose to share it with one or two close friends only. If they are playing power tricks with the toy it must in their cubby.

Yes, here and there I have a few squabbles, but they learn quickly and sometimes they are just happy to have a toy from home in their cubby.

I feel kids have to share everything here and I love that they have a special item from home if they want. It's a bit extra work, but in the long run I feel it adds so much!
Reply Up