Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Honestly, How Do I Stop All The Hitting?!
sahm2three 07:36 AM 02-04-2011
I just am worn out. They all constantly wrestle, kick, hit, punch, swing toys at eachother. Someone is constantly in time out. I have been taking the toys away that are thrown and hit with, but they don't seem to care. It makes them more wild and rowdy. I attempted reading to them, and they were all climbing all over eachother, crowding eachother, getting in eachothers personal space, and I was constantly getting after someone, so I just gave up. I need a boxing ring I think. I just don't know what to do with them. And like I said, I am so worn out and completely tired of hearing my own voice. Ugh.
Little People 07:38 AM 02-04-2011
Velcro a big piece of velcro to the wall....make velcro vests for kids...Stick kids to wall!!!
kendallina 07:48 AM 02-04-2011
How many boys and how many girls and what ages do you have?
boysx5 07:49 AM 02-04-2011
I have had a bit of this going on as well and I can say I think its from having to be inside and not getting out we as adults get frustrated so I think its there way of reliving stress not saying its easy to deal with. Hang in there hoping spring is right around the corner
sahm2three 07:56 AM 02-04-2011
Today I have a 4 yo dcg, my own 4 yo ds, a 2.5 yo dcb, 2 year old dcb, 19 mo dcb, 16 mo dcb, and a 10 month old (who isn't involved except when he gets trampled on the floor!). The 2.5 dcb is my ring leader. My other 2 yo dcb isn't so aggressive when this 2.5 yo isn't here. I am just at a loss. I can't get them to do nice, non-contact things. I got out blocks but they became weapons. We got out cars and they became weapons too. I already said how miserabley I failed at reading books. Thought about playdough, but I am sure it would be a nightmare. I have a rice table (I use elbow noodles instead), but there is no way I am bringing that out today. Ugh. TGIF. That is the only positive I can think of!
jenh171 07:58 AM 02-04-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I just am worn out. They all constantly wrestle, kick, hit, punch, swing toys at eachother. Someone is constantly in time out. I have been taking the toys away that are thrown and hit with, but they don't seem to care. It makes them more wild and rowdy. I attempted reading to them, and they were all climbing all over eachother, crowding eachother, getting in eachothers personal space, and I was constantly getting after someone, so I just gave up. I need a boxing ring I think. I just don't know what to do with them. And like I said, I am so worn out and completely tired of hearing my own voice. Ugh.
Hang in there, I know exactly how you feel! I went through that with my 2 year old girls all of the spring and summer this past year. I felt just like you did...tired of hearing my own voice and the time outs started to seem ineffective because I was constantly putting them in TO for hitting each other. Anyway, I really think it was just a phase they went through, because now they rarely hit, and I don't really think it was any remarkable thing I did to fix it. Also, they're good kids....not really the "hitting" type, either one of them. I just kept punishing them with time outs, just like you are. Eventually, I really think they just outgrew it.
MommyMuffin 08:04 AM 02-04-2011
I only have 4 kids but will have 6 by the middle of summer so I know this will be a problem for me then too.

Not sure if this will help at all but after talking to catherder and seeing her pictures I think I am going to make something like she has.
Its is like "rooms" inside the big daycare room. Infants can have their own space so they arent trampled and toddlers can play in their own if they become "destructo-boy/girl" like my toddlers. Just a way to give the kids their own space. Now I am not sure what to do about the 4 year olds....as I have never had one that age.....but good luck!!! And remember its FRIDAY!!!!
lvt77 08:33 AM 02-04-2011
I am not sure how old your DCK are, but we had an issue like this awhile back. My kids are ages 2-5. I sat everyone down at circle time and we talked about our feelings and when someone hurts us how it makes us feel, why we love our friends, and then have a hug it out session. I told them how much I loved my friends and that friends are kind and nice. I told them what we can do with our hands, legs and etc... hand are for holding, hands are for giving high 5's, legs are for walking.......

You could do this for any age group, just change how you would explain it.
kendallina 08:37 AM 02-04-2011
Any chance you can get outside today? Sounds like they are definitely needing some very physical play. You have a lot of boys and sometimes they are their own species.

If you can't go outside, I would get out the sensory stuff. The playdough, the rice table, whatever you've got. Even bring in a tub of snow. When children need to move physically, they need to move and if they don't have a positive outlet for it, they will find a way to get their physical needs met.

I know you're worried that it might be a disaster, but I would talk to them first about how to behave with it (keep playdo on table, if it gets on floor pick it right away), then I might lead them in some structured ways of playing with it first so that it's not a free-for-all. "Everybody pound your playdough as hard as you can" "Now pound it soft" "Now hard!" And keep it really fun. I would stick close to them and quickly correct any behaviors that aren't appropriate (not by using time out, but by telling them that what they're doing is not okay and if they do it again they are done with that activity).

Good luck and yes, it's Friday!!
laundrymom 10:51 AM 02-04-2011
I vote for a physical game. Have them lay down and roll back and forth across the room one at a timetimethem. Fastestgets a prize, do an obstacle course. Simon says marching band, monkey dance,....
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Any chance you can get outside today? Sounds like they are definitely needing some very physical play. You have a lot of boys and sometimes they are their own species.

If you can't go outside, I would get out the sensory stuff. The playdough, the rice table, whatever you've got. Even bring in a tub of snow. When children need to move physically, they need to move and if they don't have a positive outlet for it, they will find a way to get their physical needs met.

I know you're worried that it might be a disaster, but I would talk to them first about how to behave with it (keep playdo on table, if it gets on floor pick it right away), then I might lead them in some structured ways of playing with it first so that it's not a free-for-all. "Everybody pound your playdough as hard as you can" "Now pound it soft" "Now hard!" And keep it really fun. I would stick close to them and quickly correct any behaviors that aren't appropriate (not by using time out, but by telling them that what they're doing is not okay and if they do it again they are done with that activity).

Good luck and yes, it's Friday!!

kendallina 10:54 AM 02-04-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I vote for a physical game. Have them lay down and roll back and forth across the room one at a timetimethem. Fastestgets a prize, do an obstacle course. Simon says marching band, monkey dance,....
Good ideas! We just did a cotton ball race where children had to blow a cotton ball across the floor of the room. It was a hit. I also tape squares and other shapes on my carpet and have them try to jump from one to the other.
lil angels 11:19 AM 02-04-2011
I like the idea of taping squares to the floor I will have to try that. I have alot of boys to and if they get crazy I will separate them and have one sit at a table and work on "beads" (perlor beads that you put on peg boards and I iron), one can sit at the other end and work on a dry erase board and so on I find them all things that they have to be on their bottoms for. We also like a dvd call get fit with Jo Jo Bear it is a kids exercise dvd and that seems to tire them out. We are not aloud any type of wrestling I don't want any broken bone on my watch.
Cat Herder 11:22 AM 02-04-2011
Divide and conquer...
Reply Up