Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Birthdays
nikia 08:55 AM 02-08-2011
What do you do for dcks birthdays?

I had a birthday today so I made cupcakes we sang and birthday girl got a present. I have an almost 4 year old who threw a fit because he didn't get sung to or didn't get to blow out candles. He is new so this is his first birthday with us. I explained to him that on his birthday he gets the special stuff like she did. I feel at his age he should know better does that make sense or am I expecting to much? They all got cake and ice cream but when the older ones throw a fit it makes me not want to do special things. Kwim? Maybe I'm just in a grumpy mood today lol I don't know
JenNJ 09:42 AM 02-08-2011
I bake cupcakes (well, we all do it together), we have a dance party, sing, and I get the child a few small items from the dollar store. We have the other children draw that child pictures or cards. I've never had anyone with an attitude about it though.
jojosmommy 09:58 AM 02-08-2011
I made a special birthday plate at Color Me Mine and the birthday person gets their own special cupcake on it. All the other kids sing and I usually buy one small thing. Next birthday kid is getting a Barbie. All the kids seem to enjoy it (especially the cupcake since we never have those kinds of treats)and have never had an issue. I always decorate the house the night before so the bday kid feels really special on "their day".
Little People 10:02 AM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
I made a special birthday plate at Color Me Mine and the birthday person gets their own special cupcake on it. All the other kids sing and I usually buy one small thing. Next birthday kid is getting a Barbie. All the kids seem to enjoy it (especially the cupcake since we never have those kinds of treats)and have never had an issue. I always decorate the house the night before so the bday kid feels really special on "their day".
I have a dcg with a birthday at the end of the month and I am baking cupcakes too and we will have the room decorated to and I have this cute Happy Birthday yard sign that we can change out names on. I try to make the birthday child feel very important on their special day.
lil angels 10:23 AM 02-08-2011
we make cupcakes or mom brings them in bought from the store. Sing happy birthday play with balloons and dance and I get them a gift and they also get to wear a crown. The others are very good about it because they know their time is coming. Your dcb will get used to it to after a couple or after his birthday.
lvt77 10:38 AM 02-08-2011
more than likely this child always get his way at home and is trying to see if you will give in. I say let him pout about it and stand your ground. He needs to learn that this is your house and he must follow your rules... If he is mad then let him be mad, sad, whatever it is that he is feeling.

I would be sure to tell the parents and I bet you they will feel sorry for him instead of being embarassed about the fact he acted like a spolied brat.

I have no problem admitting that my 3 yr old son is a spolied brat. there is a 12 yr age gap between him and my next child, so he is always spolied by everyone in the house. I could see my son doing this as he always gets his way with everyone in my house... it is so annoying. but I cant always stop my older kids from giving the little guy his way....ugh..
WImom 11:16 AM 02-08-2011
I let the child bring in a treat to share. We sing happy birthday and I buy them a small present from me and the other kids in care.(They open it at home though)
kendallina 11:17 AM 02-08-2011
They get to choose a special birthday book to keep (from a special basket) and we sing to them and make a crown. I don't do cupcakes or anything. I've never had one of my kiddos complain that only the birthday kid is getting a book. I think at 4.5, he should certainly understand that it's not his birthday and he doesn't get sung to/blow out candles.
momma2girls 12:16 PM 02-08-2011
I make birthday cutouts and hang whomever's birthday for that month on the front door.
I make a cake or cupcakes for that child, and we all share it at snacktime.
Then we sing happy birthday to the child, and the child will wear a birthday crown, of their choice.
Then we make simple cards out of construction paper for that child.
Everyone loves it!!
AAA713 03:11 PM 02-08-2011
We make cupcakes or a birthday cookie. We sing the birthday song and the dck's make a special card. I get the child a small gift to open at home. So far no one has had any outbursts!
melissa ann 03:52 AM 02-09-2011
We also bake cupcakes, sing happy b-day, I got the child a small gift and the other kids make a card/draw a picture whatever they want for the b-day child.
Tags:birthday
Reply Up