Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Above Ground Pool?
AnythingsPossible 08:49 AM 05-03-2011
Anyone ever put one of the large above ground pools up? I'm thinking like 16' diameter. The concern I have is not knowing how to level the ground for it. We have really bumpy ground with a bit of a slope. Has anyone ever put one up, and if so, how did you level the ground? I am up in the air on if we are doing a hard side or one with the inflatable top ring. I appreciate any insight anyone can offer!
This is for my own children and not daycare related at all, so that is not a concern.
Michelle 08:52 AM 05-03-2011
no way!! never!!!
If you're going to do it, better get that thing fenced
PitterPatter 09:04 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
Anyone ever put one of the large above ground pools up? I'm thinking like 16' diameter. The concern I have is not knowing how to level the ground for it. We have really bumpy ground with a bit of a slope. Has anyone ever put one up, and if so, how did you level the ground? I am up in the air on if we are doing a hard side or one with the inflatable top ring. I appreciate any insight anyone can offer!
This is for my own children and not daycare related at all, so that is not a concern.
I put 1 up every year but I have a flat yard. A neighbor had to level theirs tho, they used a CAT mini bulldozer type thing. A family member built a wood deck for thiers to sit on because the ground was uneven.

Do u have that section of the yard fenced? I have my whole yard fenced then another 5ft fence dividing the yard for the section where the pool goes. During the summer the gate is locked and off limits. Rest of the year the gate is open and access permitted to the flower garden and extra play space.
AnythingsPossible 09:27 AM 05-03-2011
Thanks for the concerns, but as I stated it is for my children not daycare. The area where the pool will be is completly fenced off from all daycare yard areas. As a licensed provider, I couldn't have a pool like that in a daycare area. Nor would I want to, licensed or not for daycare!
Thanks for the response PitterPatter! I am hoping we can logisticlly get this done! It is the one thing my kids have always wanted but have been told "no" because of daycare. With the reconfiguration of daycare space, it is possible, but not sure if it is feasible!!
laundrymom 09:32 AM 05-03-2011
I have one( hard sided) and love it. Had it about 10 years. Our installer cut away the sod, then dug it out to make level. Laid sand for the base, then set the walls and liner. I have no wrinkles, and a flat pool. I do have one side of the pool that is easier for me to look over the rail on. Lol. Just because of the land slope. Lol. Mine is in my back yard. It's top rail is 4 1/2 feet from ground at lowest point and we remove the ladder when not in use. I've passed inspection for insurance, licensing, paths to quality and accreditation with it simply being in the back yard, enclosed by privacy fence. My day friends play in front yard. They never venture to back. I fully endorse a pool!!! We use it almost every night and sometimes in the mornings before work. One note, the more you swim, the easier to keep it clean.
Meeko 10:14 AM 05-03-2011
We have an 16 foot inflatable top ring pool at my home (I do day care at my son's home). Our yard is big, but not too level in places. Hubby bought a bunch of sand and levelled under the pool area. Makes the pool level and makes the floor less likely to wear. We love it!
Meeko 10:16 AM 05-03-2011
Invest in a salt water pump if you decide to get the pool. Sooooo easy to take care of! No checking PH levels and adding chemicals and no strong chlorine smell! Our pool stays sparkling clear all summer.
laundrymom 10:27 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Invest in a salt water pump if you decide to get the pool. Sooooo easy to take care of! No checking PH levels and adding chemicals and no strong chlorine smell! Our pool stays sparkling clear all summer.
We had thought about that. What type of upkeep is required? We've done typical chlorine but are sure to get a new filter system in the next year or so. Ours is 27 foot. I wonder if cost wise it would be better
Michelle 10:31 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
Thanks for the concerns, but as I stated it is for my children not daycare. The area where the pool will be is completly fenced off from all daycare yard areas. As a licensed provider, I couldn't have a pool like that in a daycare area. Nor would I want to, licensed or not for daycare!
Thanks for the response PitterPatter! I am hoping we can logisticlly get this done! It is the one thing my kids have always wanted but have been told "no" because of daycare. With the reconfiguration of daycare space, it is possible, but not sure if it is feasible!!
sorry , it's just my best friends son drowned in her little kiddy pool in just 3 in. of water
AnythingsPossible 10:48 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
sorry , it's just my best friends son drowned in her little kiddy pool in just 3 in. of water
No worries! Just wanted to assure all that it wasn't in daycare space. My own children are 10, 12, and 15 and avid swimmers, it will be 4ft deep so I'm not to concerned about them in it, but certainly wouldn't want littles in it!
WDW 10:51 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I'm so sorry about your friends son. How sad.
Meeko 12:48 PM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
We had thought about that. What type of upkeep is required? We've done typical chlorine but are sure to get a new filter system in the next year or so. Ours is 27 foot. I wonder if cost wise it would be better
The initial expense can be more...but my husband was a happy camper last year! Just run the machine for an hour or two each day and that's it! We did add some salt about half way through the summer...took two minutes.....but no sampling water daily, no ph strips, no smell, and I noticed a difference in my daughters eyes. They used to burn after hours in a chemical pool. The salt content is low enough that it doesn't make the pool water taste bad or sting your eyes. I highly recommend it!
JJPlaycare 12:59 PM 05-03-2011
Do you allow your own kids to swim in it while daycare is there? What do the other kids and their parents think of this?? Just wondering because I never know what is okay to let my kids do and not the daycare kids and what their parents would think! Not sure if it is better to keep everything equal or to let my kids live in their HOME! : S
QualiTcare 01:02 PM 05-03-2011
i wouldn't let my kids swim and not the other kids bc i wouldn't want my kids not being able to swim while other kids were allowed. just my personal opinion.

a good way to make decisions like that is to think about how you would feel if your kids were the ones (fill in the blank) (not getting to swim, not getting to eat ice cream, etc)
AnythingsPossible 01:08 PM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by JJPlaycare:
Do you allow your own kids to swim in it while daycare is there? What do the other kids and their parents think of this?? Just wondering because I never know what is okay to let my kids do and not the daycare kids and what their parents would think! Not sure if it is better to keep everything equal or to let my kids live in their HOME! : S
If we are able to make it work, I will let them swim in it while daycare is here. Where we want to put the pool is seperated from the daycare yard by a five foot wooden fence, I could supervise them while watching the daycare kids, but the little guys wouldn't have a clear view of what my kids were doing. We used to have a trampoline that my kids could use and daycare couldn't and nobody made an issue out of it. The majority of my families are long term and all understand that this is my children's home. They do many things that daycare doesn't. They can go down and watch tv if they want to, if they don't want the same thing daycare has for lunch, they can make something different, if they want to go for a walk they can.
I don't, however, let them gloat or be obnoxious about it. It is harder for my SA kids then the little ones, because they look at it that my kids get to do other things because they are older, not because they are mine.
PitterPatter 04:16 PM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by JJPlaycare:
My pool is closed until after daycare hours. I don't even unlock that section of the yard/gate while kids are here. My DCP have said things like they want to come over and swim on the weekend. Another DCM actually got upset that her child would not be permitted to swim. Even after I explained NO ONE uses it during daycare hours she still didn't get it and said well what's it there for? I said my family's personal use AFTER daycare.

I just don't think it would be fair for the kids to see my son swimming in and enjoying a big pool and them be excluded so I don't allow it. Just my opinion tho. I do put up small baby type pools for everyone. 1 has a slide another a sprayer but they are just for sitting and playing only about 12 inches if that.
AnythingsPossible 07:05 AM 05-04-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
My pool is closed until after daycare hours. I don't even unlock that section of the yard/gate while kids are here. My DCP have said things like they want to come over and swim on the weekend. Another DCM actually got upset that her child would not be permitted to swim. Even after I explained NO ONE uses it during daycare hours she still didn't get it and said well what's it there for? I said my family's personal use AFTER daycare.

I just don't think it would be fair for the kids to see my son swimming in and enjoying a big pool and them be excluded so I don't allow it. Just my opinion tho. I do put up small baby type pools for everyone. 1 has a slide another a sprayer but they are just for sitting and playing only about 12 inches if that.
Very valid point. I guess I don't so much worry about the "fair" factor because life isn't fair!! In every job I've ever had or my husbands job now, the boss does things the employees can't do. When I worked at a small store when I was younger the bosses kids got away with lots of things I could never have done and I guess that's how I look at issues with daycare. I'm the boss, their my kids, that's the way it is.

But that is a concept that the littles aren't going to get! And I suppose it's a rather harsh lesson to try to teach them!! I don't think I would want to only let my kids use it after daycare hours as I sometimes work till 6 in the summer. This is an area I am going to have to spend some time thinking on to figure the best way to handle it! Even though the DCK's won't be able to see them, they will be able to hear them, and overlooking the fairness factor of it, it could potentially be a pain dealing with the "why can't we" type questions and more then likely whining involved.

I keep thinking there is a magical way to blend daycare and my family, but I've yet to figure it out! It was so much easier when my kids were younger as they just did what daycare did for the most part. As they have gotten older, it has gotten tricky, for me atleast. Maybe I make it harder then it needs to be, who knows!
Meyou 07:09 AM 05-04-2011
I have a 16' with the blowup ring and have never had any problems with leveling in either of my homes we used it in. It's in a corner of my yard and I remove the ladder when there is noone in the pool. I've never had a problem with DCK's. They aren't allowed in the "big" pool unless I'm in it which is once a day in the afternoon after nap. They use the "little" pool (a wader with 3" of water) or I put the sprinkler on for them. The SA kids are allowed in the pool when I'm outside with them. If I have to run into the house everyone gets out first and waits until I get back.
QualiTcare 07:20 AM 05-04-2011
i just think i would be irked if i knew my kids could see/hear/smell other kids doing something super fun that every kid lives to do (like swimming) and weren't allowed to because "it's my house, my rules."

no, life isn't fair, but we can make "fair" the things that we DO have control over.
sharlan 02:46 PM 05-06-2011
I've had above ground pools over the past 10 yrs, keep getting bigger ones. We just rake the ground really well and make sure there are no rocks where the pool is going. I always use a heavy tarp under the pool.

My daycare kids have always used the pool. They have the same rules as my grandkids have - NO CHILD IN THE POOL WITHOUT AN ADULT. The pool is behind a keylocked mesh fence so the kids don't have access unless I open the gate. The ladder is kept up and locked with a padlock when I'm not in the pool.

Why have an expensive piece of equipment in your yard to be used an hour or so a day?
PitterPatter 07:09 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I've had above ground pools over the past 10 yrs, keep getting bigger ones. We just rake the ground really well and make sure there are no rocks where the pool is going. I always use a heavy tarp under the pool.

My daycare kids have always used the pool. They have the same rules as my grandkids have - NO CHILD IN THE POOL WITHOUT AN ADULT. The pool is behind a keylocked mesh fence so the kids don't have access unless I open the gate. The ladder is kept up and locked with a padlock when I'm not in the pool.

Why have an expensive piece of equipment in your yard to be used an hour or so a day?
Because I don't want P in my ool. Seriously tho I don't allow the DCKs in because I usually have at least 1 that isn't potty trained and I don't want pee and poop in my pool. I do however want my son to be able to swim without traveling to a local park and paying an admission to swim. So for our family we use it after 6:30 and on the weekends. Plus I think it's just too risky for a bunch of toddlers to be in a deep pool with 1 adult. (I have all toddlers)
Tags:pool, pool - above ground
Reply Up