Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Making a web page
Thriftylady 12:06 PM 08-07-2014
I have no clue how. Anyone have a link to someplace to get me started? Is it expensive?
MarinaVanessa 12:22 PM 08-07-2014
I use webs.com and it's free to make with 10 pages. If you want more pages you pay (I paid $80 for 2 years or something).

I tried a few different sites but really liked webs because of the easy to use web editor. You pick a template style, then a page layout and then drag and drop the content. I type what I want to say in Word, spell check it and then copy and paste it onto my website. Easy peasy,

Webs also has the ability now for you to upload PDF files that people can download so you can put your contract, handbook etc. right on your site

http://www.webs.com/

Here's my site to see an example of what you can do: http://myhelpinghandschildcare.webs.com/
Blackcat31 12:25 PM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
I use webs.com and it's free to make with 10 pages. If you want more pages you pay (I paid $80 for 2 years or something).

I tried a few different sites but really liked webs because of the easy to use web editor. You pick a template style, then a page layout and then drag and drop the content. I type what I want to say in Word, spell check it and then copy and paste it onto my website. Easy peasy,

Webs also has the ability now for you to upload PDF files that people can download so you can put your contract, handbook etc. right on your site

http://www.webs.com/

Here's my site to see an example of what you can do: http://myhelpinghandschildcare.webs.com/

Another vote for Webs.

I tried several other sites (Wix, 1to1, and godaddy) but I found Webs to be the easiest to create a page and the one with the most options. Both for free users and paid users.

I, like MV paid for the premium version of the site and thought it was also one of the least expensive for upgrades.
AmyKidsCo 12:36 PM 08-07-2014
I wouldn't go with Wix - I've never been impressed with the child care sites I've seen that used Wix. For one, they all used the same template so they all looked the same.
Blackcat31 12:42 PM 08-07-2014
Here are a couple more threads about websites.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=web+site

This one has the most info. It is also a sticky-thread on the front page of the Daycare and Family Home forum.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35323
midaycare 12:53 PM 08-07-2014
I use weebly and love it! I get a lot of calls from my website, so it must look okay.
melilley 01:01 PM 08-07-2014
I have the free version of webs and I really like it! It is very user friendly. I'm kind of computer illiterate and thought it would be difficult to make my own website, bit it was a piece of cake! I have even gotten compliments on it.
kendallina 07:49 PM 08-07-2014
Another vote for weebly. Love it! It's easy and free or you can pay like a $40 annual fee for more features. But, really, it's super easy and looks really professional.
MsLisa 08:09 PM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I wouldn't go with Wix - I've never been impressed with the child care sites I've seen that used Wix. For one, they all used the same template so they all looked the same.
Well...gee.....Ouch,
My website is made from Wix & I like it.
AmyKidsCo 08:32 PM 08-07-2014
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend! The ones I've seen have been really bad... Different sized type from one paragraph to another, bad grammar, typos, etc. And they were all the same template.

I haven't seen yours though.

Edited to add: I took a peek at your website and it's really cute! Definitely NOT the same template as the others I saw. I amend my original statement... I've never been impressed with the child care sites I've seen that used Wix, except for MsLisa's. There are probably other cute ones but I haven't seen them.
midaycare 10:48 PM 08-07-2014
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend! The ones I've seen have been really bad... Different sized type from one paragraph to another, bad grammar, typos, etc. And they were all the same template.

Edited to add: I took a peek at your website and it's really cute! Definitely NOT the same template as the others I saw. I amend my original statement... I've never been impressed with the child care sites I've seen that used Wix, except for MsLisa's. There are probably other cute ones but I haven't seen them.
Sounds like it is more the user error in making it than the website. Also sounds like MsLisa knows what she is doing. Go MsLisa!

I've put together several websites and the difference from my first to my last is incredible. But I still need to work hard on my weebly website compared to some of the pros here!
MarinaVanessa 11:16 PM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by MsLisa:
Well...gee.....Ouch,
I really like how your Info page is set up. Would you mind if I used your setup?
Josiegirl 03:17 AM 08-08-2014
How easy IS it to set up a web page? I mean, is it 3 yo easy, 10 yo easy, or tech savvy easy?
I'm completely tech illiterate and can't do much with my computer. My 23 yo dd had to do my budget forms for me.
midaycare 05:00 AM 08-08-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
How easy IS it to set up a web page? I mean, is it 3 yo easy, 10 yo easy, or tech savvy easy?
I'm completely tech illiterate and can't do much with my computer. My 23 yo dd had to do my budget forms for me.
I think it is not too hard, but if you end up using a site one of us is also using, like webs, wix, and weebly, I'm sure one of us can help walk you through it.
DaisyMamma 05:38 AM 08-08-2014
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I have no clue how. Anyone have a link to someplace to get me started? Is it expensive?
If you would like a quote on a professionally designed website please PM me. And no, it doesnt have to be expensive!
MsLisa 06:30 AM 08-08-2014

It's all good & Thank you.
I've never really seen other Wix ones but it all really depends on how much time and effort the person puts into it. Everything is a template, its all on how you use it.

Originally Posted by midaycare:
Sounds like it is more the user error in making it than the website. Also sounds like MsLisa knows what she is doing. Go MsLisa!

I've put together several websites and the difference from my first to my last is incredible. But I still need to work hard on my weebly website compared to some of the pros here!
Exactly!
I STILL nit-pick at my website. Heck, I totally revamped it yesterday AGAIN. I am never satisfied but i'm getting better. Its my graphic designer curse! lol.

Originally Posted by MV:
I really like how your Info page is set up. Would you mind if I used your setup?
Go for it!
Its the only thing I ever kept from when you ladies helped me. I literally just added the graphics yesterday cause I though it look too plain {like a wall of text}.
MsLisa 06:37 AM 08-08-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Wix is moderately easy. A lot of just double click and add. Pick a template with the general "feel" that you like and go from there. To me, its having all the info you want to put in it that's the hard part.
I will say this if you use Wix.....SAVE OFTEN!!!!!!!
{It has a tendency to "flash crash" if you do too much for a long time.}
MarinaVanessa 07:13 AM 08-08-2014
Wix is moderately easy. A lot of just double click and add. Pick a template with the general "feel" that you like and go from there. To me, its having all the info you want to put in it that's the hard part.
I will say this if you use Wix.....SAVE OFTEN!!!!!!!
{It has a tendency to "flash crash" if you do too much for a long time.
}
I think with any web editor you should save often, I think programs tend to freeze up no matter what web building site you use. It's good practice to save often and refresh the page every 10 minutes or so or get into the habit of saving after you complete a section/paragraph.

OP if you decide to go with Webs I would be more than happy to help you get started. I have a step-by-step on getting started with Webs here and you can always PM me for my email and ask me questions as you go along
Thriftylady 02:05 PM 08-08-2014
Thanks for all the help guys. I have not started looking to hard yet, I have spent the afternoon printing, cutting and laminating pictures for sorting and lacing cards. I will be glad when DD gets home from her summer job, she loves this creative stuff to me it is a chore lol. But I would rather do it than pay for someone else to.
missy 05:19 AM 08-09-2014
Well...gee.....Ouch,
I use Wix too and like it. Although it does work best if you start with a blank template rather than edit a sample one (that was a nightmare, for me anyway). It is very easy to edit and add to also:-)
Tags:website - how to
Reply Up