Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Leaves Child in Care Longer than stated in interview
Ac114 02:33 PM 01-20-2020
So I know I should have said something within the first week or so that child started (the week before thanksgiving) and now I’m kicking myself in the behind for not speaking up but would like to maybe nip it in the bud, is possible.

DCB 15 months started the week before thanksgiving. Mom is expecting and baby will start in June. This family worked for 2 reasons. They hours they stated were 7:30-7:45am to 4:30pm. Mom works from home literally 1/4 mile down the road. She goes into the office about 4 times a month and would never pick up past 5:10. 2nd reason- one of my current families is also expecting and due in may but will be leaving and not returning to become a stay at home mom.

Fast forward to the past 2 months, child has never been picked up before 5:20, sometimes pulling into the driveway at 5:28. I refuse to have an infant for more than 10 hours but I would also have 2 early days (more in the summer) where I would be done by 4:30. This is not possible with them not coming until 5:30 when mom states she would be here by 4:30.

My hours are 7:00-5:30 am and I do not have contracted hours so I don’t know what leg I have to stand on by bringing this up and how to even bring it up considering it’s been 2 months. Any ideas?
Unregistered 02:41 PM 01-20-2020
If interested switch to contracted hours and give 4-6 weeks notice of the change. The creep to open to close care happens quickly with some.
CountryRoads 02:52 PM 01-20-2020
Originally Posted by Ac114:
So I know I should have said something within the first week or so that child started (the week before thanksgiving) and now I’m kicking myself in the behind for not speaking up but would like to maybe nip it in the bud, is possible.

DCB 15 months started the week before thanksgiving. Mom is expecting and baby will start in June. This family worked for 2 reasons. They hours they stated were 7:30-7:45am to 4:30pm. Mom works from home literally 1/4 mile down the road. She goes into the office about 4 times a month and would never pick up past 5:10. 2nd reason- one of my current families is also expecting and due in may but will be leaving and not returning to become a stay at home mom.

Fast forward to the past 2 months, child has never been picked up before 5:20, sometimes pulling into the driveway at 5:28. I refuse to have an infant for more than 10 hours but I would also have 2 early days (more in the summer) where I would be done by 4:30. This is not possible with them not coming until 5:30 when mom states she would be here by 4:30.

My hours are 7:00-5:30 am and I do not have contracted hours so I don’t know what leg I have to stand on by bringing this up and how to even bring it up considering it’s been 2 months. Any ideas?
Could you maybe let her know that pick-up must be done by 4:30 on those days you would be done early?

I don't do contracted hours, either. I just plan on not having the last kid out until closing, which for me is 5:30. Everyone is gone by then, but I just assume someone will be here until then so I don't get my hopes up lol

BUT, I would be very annoyed if a dcm told me pick-up would be by X time, and then didn't show up until later. I make plans and have other things to do after kids go home, as I'm sure you do, too!

If it were me, I would send her a message. I'm not sure how I would phrase it (sorry, no help there), but I would remind her of what she said at the interview and that you planned on those times. Since you're open, I would allow pick-up until 5:30 but would ask that pick-up be done by 4:30 on whatever days you would be done early.

On a side note, I have a dcm whose kids are the last ones here everyday. She knows everyone else is gone by 5 and that I'm waiting on her kids every night. I'm pretty sure she could get them earlier, but she doesn't. I know it doesn't work this way, but I wish parents understood that we have our own families to spend time with and a million things to do after the last kid goes home - so when you know your kids are the last ones..hurry up
Snowmom 03:42 PM 01-20-2020
Just throwing this idea out there...

Mom & Dad:
We've now completed our initial trial period. While I do feel baby is adjusting well to the routine and environment, I would like to touch on a few things.
You mentioned at the interview and during our paperwork that your daily pick up would be 4:30 with the exception of 4 days a month, where it would be 5:10. In the past 6 weeks, this has not been the case as pick up has been between 5-5:30 99% of the time. I do feel we need to reevaluate our agreement due to this.

If you can make the original agreement work, I am happy to continue our working relationship as is. I would expect that little Maddie be picked up by 4:30 with the exception of the 4 days/month where you'd let me know in advance.
If you do not think you can make those hours work, then I need to increase your weekly fee to account for the added time and supplies.
Please let me know how you'd like to proceed by Friday.
Thank you!
Provider
sunshst 03:53 PM 01-20-2020
I would remind mom of originally contracted pick up hours. If she says it will still be after 4:30 p.m. I would advise her that that pick up time is is outside her contracted hours and extra charge for extended pick up hours will be added every time pick up occurs after agreed 4:30 p.m. This extra pick up charge would be anything that works for you. I would do $25 and go have a manicure after hours or nice dinner with my kid
Cat Herder 04:12 AM 01-21-2020
This is every single one of my clients. All have 3:30-4:30 written on their enrollment forms. Not one has picked up before 5 pm other than doctor's appointments for over a year.

Once they get comfortable with their children in care, they begin using their time in the afternoon to meet other goals like grocery shopping, picking up clothes from cleaners, taking the dog to the vet/groomers, etc so they don't have to drag the kids with them on errands.

None have picked up late, yet, though. That $1 per minute/ termination on 3rd offense solves that pretty quickly.
rosieteddy 05:02 AM 01-21-2020
I would go with snowmoms letter.Then I would send a notice to everyone that contracted hours would be instituted.Pick a basic 9 hour window say 7am -4pm anything over 4pm and an additional charge is added to tuition.I would make no adjustments for late daily arrival only pickup.So say a parent wants 8am -5pm I would charge a fee for 4-5 pm.At least 5 dollars a day.That would give you 25 dollars more per client after 4 pm.I would change my hours to state last pick up is 5 pm if that works for your client base.If you're open they will come and stay the entire time.Only if it costs more will they usually think about picking up earlier.Or in this case at their original stated hour.
Ariana 08:25 AM 01-21-2020
i did exactly what Snowmom suggested! Wrote an email letting her know I noticed they seem to need longer hours than originally agreed upon and that I let it go for a few weeks thinking it was just an adjustment to care phase but now it seems to be a regular thing. Then I asked her if these are the hours they need and if they do it will cost $X amount and we need a new contract. She ended up paying more money which I was happy with. If you don’t want these long hours I would let mom know that you only took her on because her hours worked for you and now it is no longer working and can she do the originally agreed upon hours.
Tags:contracted hours, contracted hours vs open hours, open hours
Reply Up