Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tough Spot... WWYD?
KDC 09:46 AM 05-30-2012
This summer is getting to be rough. I'm losing 1 FT'er and 2 PT children. The 1FT'er will return in August, and the 2 PT's will also return in August, but with even more reduced time due to preschool/Kindergarten schedules.

So, basically this summer I'm down to only 1 full-timer and 1 part-timer (Mon, Wed, Fri). I also have three children (3, 5, & 6).

I received the following e-mail based on a craigslist ad...

I'm interested in care for an 18 month old daughter and are looking into the possibility of changing her daycare situtation.
I work part-time one MWF afternoons and evenings and my Husband an 8-5 M-F type of job. Thus we are looking for a place where Sylvia could be cared for on a part-time basis (MWF from 1PM-5:30PM) with the possibility for some flexibility in adding in the occasional extra day. We would hope to start the first of June.
We live only a few blocks south of you and like that you are a small home-based facility with a small number of children.
What would be the possibility coming to visit you and your facility? Tuesday or Thursday would work best for me.

Red flags... changing daycare situation... 5:30 is the absolute latest I want a child here. I have a family and need to close at 5:30 promptly. We live in a far suburb from a major city and traffic is a b**ch... my blood pressure is rising just thinking about it. The 'extra' day could be an issue as well. I would plan to charge this family close to the full day rate, because I can't really find someone opposite their schedule (M, W, & F, 8-1). I normally charge $45/day for 9.5 hours. I would charge them $35/day for their part-time (does this sound right?) For the additional days, I would consider them a drop-in if I had the space available and charge ($50/day) for 9.5 hours of work. Does this seem reasonable? They didn't ask for my charges up front... giving me time to think about it. I could really use the $$ this summer, but wish this were a full-time position. WWYD?
Up