Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Me- Really Don’t Like This Kid.....
rubyecro 12:58 PM 03-31-2015
I know we aren't going to "love" every child we take on. But I pretty much adore all of mine... except ONE. I don't know what to do. I've known her parents along time, and she is 8 years old. Everything she does just irritates me. I have a 7 Year old And they like to play, but I knOW she gets on her nerves too.

She lies, constantly. about the most random things. She's been here a year and can't seem to get the rules. Basic things like don't Leave your backpack on the kitchen floor, Unzipped with everything falling out, put your dish in the sink, close the baby gate, take your shoes off when you come in (even my 1-year olds do this!) ....she whines...won't eat anything I serve, cries if a 7 month old pulls onher hair or dothes, actually pushed down one of my 1 year olds and when I Asked her why she cried and said he was pushing her first ... she's just not into babies which is fine but not Condusive to being in daycare.

I'M the onlthe only one who works on HW with her, and she's really struggling and does not listen or use logic or follow basic instructions.

Not onlythat but I chargenext to nothing for her to come. She's here all day this week for spring Break which is a precursor to the Summer, HELP ME!

I won't be taking her next fall because I told her parents I will not offer school drop Off or pick up anymore. So, its just the summer.

But, do I just suck it up? Since its only until the end of Summer? Do I charge them regular rates? (contract is finished as of now)
If I do term, what do I say All I can think of is "Your Kid is Awful" ... I know that sounds awful, please forgive me.

Also, I feel like it complicates it that they are our neighbors and that even though she probably wouldn't admit it, she really idolizes my 7yo dd And tells everyone they are " BFFs" ...my dd does not feel this way at All... *sigh* Advice is welcome. And if this is like some personal issue I have tell me!
Heidi 01:02 PM 03-31-2015
"you know, I've been thinking a lot about this, but DCG seems pretty bored here, so honestly, I'm worried about this summer. I think the babies kind of drive her up the wall, too. I honestly think that maybe instead of saddling her with these little friends all summer, you might want to consider a summer school age program or camp."

A week later..."How is the summer camp search going?"
Unregistered 01:04 PM 03-31-2015
Charge her regular rates. Maybe she will leave.
Martha Stewart 01:06 PM 03-31-2015
1. charge normal rates. Maybe you harbor a bit of this hostility because her rates are too low for the amount of work required
2. regular rates for summer (not reduced) if you keep her. If you do not, that's your business.

Personal advice? I don't like SA kids other than my own, so I don't keep them. I used to, and my kids hated it and resented their presence and I ended up sending my own children (the entire reason I started doing daycare in the first place) away. I discontinued my SA program by giving parents a 2 week notice. That's it.
rubyecro 01:10 PM 03-31-2015
Thank you guys for not making me feel like a monster lol....glad to know I'm not the only one who has had this Halen.
daycare 01:31 PM 03-31-2015
Originally Posted by rubyecro:
Thank you guys for not making me feel like a monster lol....glad to know I'm not the only one who has had this Halen.
any povider that says they have never had a child they didn't click with or like is either lying or should never play lotto cuz that was all the luck they had.

i agree with maybe telling the parents as much as you love having DCG here, she just really seems to have out grown your program. Like PP said, list it out.

Shes bored with the babies and often says she doesn't like them and etc. I really feel she would be much happier in a program with kids her own age. Have you heard about summer camp? I would even go as far as printing something out a few days later and hand it to the parents...

I have to let go of my only school age child, because they are just becoming too rough. My group is young and I really need to make sure that no one gets hurt, so I have to drop that bomb too.

hugs to you and your daughter for putting up with this for so long, it's not easy to do.
NeedaVaca 01:43 PM 03-31-2015
I agree with what everyone else said! Is she your only school age child (besides your own)? You could just say you are no longer providing school age care anymore. No way would I deal with it all summer.
crazydaycarelady 02:31 PM 03-31-2015
If you can afford it stop taking school-agers. It's a life changer!
rubyecro 05:34 PM 03-31-2015
Yah honestly I think that is what I will do. .....they think their kids are so easy.......they are so much more work! !!!
rubyecro 05:38 PM 03-31-2015
Today I sent out a newsletter with my new rates for the year (do it every June) I usually never change this familys rates, but I know they are going to be shocked to see that I normally charge double what they pay....at least!

I feel just awful sending it, I know they can't afford it...I'm willing to wiggle a little bit but I want them to see what I charge other people. ......
DaisyMamma 03:35 AM 04-01-2015
I know we aren't going to "love" every child we take on. But I pretty much adore all of mine... except ONE. I don't know what to do. I've known her parents along time, and she is 8 years old. Everything she does just irritates me. I have a 7 Year old And they like to play, but I knOW she gets on her nerves too.

She lies, constantly. about the most random things. She's been here a year and can't seem to get the rules. Basic things like don't Leave your backpack on the kitchen floor, Unzipped with everything falling out, put your dish in the sink, close the baby gate, take your shoes off when you come in (even my 1-year olds do this!) ....she whines...won't eat anything I serve, cries if a 7 month old pulls onher hair or dothes, actually pushed down one of my 1 year olds and when I Asked her why she cried and said he was pushing her first ... she's just not into babies which is fine but not Condusive to being in daycare.

I'M the onlthe only one who works on HW with her, and she's really struggling and does not listen or use logic or follow basic instructions.

Not onlythat but I chargenext to nothing for her to come. She's here all day this week for spring Break which is a precursor to the Summer, HELP ME!

I won't be taking her next fall because I told her parents I will not offer school drop Off or pick up anymore. So, its just the summer.

But, do I just suck it up? Since its only until the end of Summer? Do I charge them regular rates? (contract is finished as of now)
If I do term, what do I say All I can think of is "Your Kid is Awful" ... I know that sounds awful, please forgive me.

Also, I feel like it complicates it that they are our neighbors and that even though she probably wouldn't admit it, she really idolizes my 7yo dd And tells everyone they are " BFFs" ...my dd does not feel this way at All... *sigh* Advice is welcome. And if this is like some personal issue I have tell me!
No, don't just do the summer, be finished.
tell the parents that you decided to cancel your SA program early and it will end at the end of the school year.
Remember, it's business. You don't need to feel obligated to do anything. The parents would never hesitate to make a change if it were in their own best interest, and you should do the same.
CraftyMom 05:11 AM 04-01-2015
My own SA kids are hard enough.

I wouldn't suck it up all summer, you'll be miserable. Not just you but your daughter. My kids have lots of friends, but to be stuck with them all day every day all summer is another story.

The others had some great suggestions. Personally I would go with "As of June ___ I am no longer providing care for SA kids." This way it isn't an option.
Sunchimes 05:50 AM 04-02-2015
I dropped mine too. One of the few affordable options for SA here is Boys and Girls Club. I had planned to give notice the end of April. But in January, I heard that they had opened sign up, and they fill up fast, so I told her that care would end when school did and she'd better get over there to sign him up asap. I haven't mentioned it again so I don't know if she took my advice or not. He begged to stay here last fall, I needed the $, and I regret it every day. My husband does pick up and it is such a pain.
Gemma 05:59 AM 04-02-2015
You're not alone, I'm going through the same thing right now!
..in my case, dck is a toddler and I blame the parents 100% for the way this child is behaving, that's what kept me from Terming!
It helps me thinking I've got 3 more yrs to go (if I last that long) then it'll be their problem!
Reply Up