Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>New to a 2 Year Old Class!
coffee116 07:43 PM 02-28-2011
Hi everyone!
I recently started a new job at a daycare working with two year olds. I have experience in other daycares and with this age..but the set-up here just doesn't feel right. I definitely could use some tips and strategies, but the set-up just doesn't feel safe. A few of the problems:

1. No changing table or restroom in the classroom.
They are "pottiers", which means that they need to be going to the restroom every 30-45 minutes- learning to potty (Most are still in diapers and pull-ups though). But the bathroom and changing table is down the hall. So practically every 30 minutes we are doing the huge ordeal of cleaning up, lining up, and doing a massive bathroom routine. So everything is interrupted, if one little pottier needs to go, or one diaper is wet, EVERYONE has to line up and start the grueling routine of going down there.

2. The "bathroom routine" has been a complete disaster!
There is a changing table next to the toilets. While I am changing a child on the table, the rest of the kids are supposed to be sitting on a bench out in the hall. Instead, they are running all over the hall and actually going out of my sight. There are times when not ONE of the kids is sitting on the bench. I'm not able to do anything because I have a child on the changing table. So I'm yelling, "Come back, sit down, etc!"
I have tried several strategies and nothing seems to work.

Also, there is a child-level "sink" of sorts where all the kids go crazy washing their hands and playing in the water while I am changing diapers. It's almost like they know that when we are out there, my hands are tied, they have the entire hallway to themselves, and they win.

There are so many other little things, like the classroom has no windows. It's like a dark little cave and I feel so bad for the kids having to spend time in there.

If anyone has made it through this post and has any ideas or feedback, please respond. And does anyone know-- is a room supposed to have a changing table in the room at age 2?
Thank you!
Michael 07:48 PM 02-28-2011
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! PM me if you need any help.
Hunni Bee 08:13 PM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by coffee116:
Hi everyone!
I recently started a new job at a daycare working with two year olds. I have experience in other daycares and with this age..but the set-up here just doesn't feel right. I definitely could use some tips and strategies, but the set-up just doesn't feel safe. A few of the problems:

1. No changing table or restroom in the classroom.
They are "pottiers", which means that they need to be going to the restroom every 30-45 minutes- learning to potty (Most are still in diapers and pull-ups though). But the bathroom and changing table is down the hall. So practically every 30 minutes we are doing the huge ordeal of cleaning up, lining up, and doing a massive bathroom routine. So everything is interrupted, if one little pottier needs to go, or one diaper is wet, EVERYONE has to line up and start the grueling routine of going down there.

2. The "bathroom routine" has been a complete disaster!
There is a changing table next to the toilets. While I am changing a child on the table, the rest of the kids are supposed to be sitting on a bench out in the hall. Instead, they are running all over the hall and actually going out of my sight. There are times when not ONE of the kids is sitting on the bench. I'm not able to do anything because I have a child on the changing table. So I'm yelling, "Come back, sit down, etc!"
I have tried several strategies and nothing seems to work.

Also, there is a child-level "sink" of sorts where all the kids go crazy washing their hands and playing in the water while I am changing diapers. It's almost like they know that when we are out there, my hands are tied, they have the entire hallway to themselves, and they win.

There are so many other little things, like the classroom has no windows. It's like a dark little cave and I feel so bad for the kids having to spend time in there.

If anyone has made it through this post and has any ideas or feedback, please respond. And does anyone know-- is a room supposed to have a changing table in the room at age 2?
Thank you!
My first two questions are: how many guys do you have and do you have an assistant (or at least someone to help you during potty time)?

In most places the two-year-old ratio is either 1:8 or 1:10...but for 16 - 24 months (at least here) its 1:5, and the ratio is based on the youngest child in the room.

Also, its unrealistic to expect two-year-olds to wait quietly on a bench while you change and take EVERY child to the potty, especially since they have to be out of the room and there's nothing for them to do while they wait. The set-up sucks, and there's probably nothing to be done about that. BTW our guys only to go the potty every hour and a half. Sounds like you're pottying all day!!

I would ask if I could get another body in the room for potty time. Someone who could either stay in the room while you take a few at a time to the potty or keep charge of the "waiters" in the hall and occupy them with songs, fingerplays, etc.
Cat Herder 05:13 AM 03-01-2011
I am sorry you are dealing with this...and yes, I have seen it before in centers. Along with them splashing in the hall water fountain, getting into the hall storage/laundry rooms and running into other classrooms and disrupting their kids as well... Non-stop chaos....

It just does not work, there is no structure... It can become so stressful and exhausting leading to burnout, fast. The poor kids stay so hyped up they never get calm and comfortable the entire day...

1. Is it possible to get each child their own changing mat (kept in their cubbies) for changing on the floor in a dedicated corner? Then do toileting only hourly or when a child requests it (then call up front for another adult to take just that child?)?

2. Is it possible to have someone from the kitchen/front desk work as a floater to assist in the hall during toileting by calling up front if they won't let you change in the room?

3. I know you are still new, but do you feel comfortable enough with your director to point out the issues and offer solutions? (can't do one without the other and stay employed long )

4. Have you considered making an anonymous call to your licensor or childcare resource center asking for help...not so much for you, but for those kids..?

Good luck, hun.... I don't miss the center world at all......
Tags:changing table, compliance, new member
Reply Up