Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Starting a Daycare while rental home-searching
Unregistered 10:26 AM 05-13-2014
I have a few issues that I'd like advice for.

We have a dog, a 4 month old, and me and daddy moving into a house soon (within the next few months).

I want to start daycare as soon as possible once in the home (I'm currently a SAHM) and daddy works 1 job and can support us at our 2BR apt right now. We're looking at a 3/2 with ample space for the daycare but I'm worried to ask if 1) they take dogs and 2) if me having a daycare is ok.

I am willing to get liability insurance if they insist on it and I've created a Pros and Cons sheet of renting to a daycare home owner that I'd like to hand to the person who is renting out the home (agent/landlord, etc).

My problem is that I know a landlord can say "no" to daycare initially but that once I move in and give 30-days written notice of me doing daycare that they cannot refuse permission for me to do so. I also don't want to get kicked out of the home early or at the 1-year mark for numerous reasons.

What would you advise we do ? We don't have a lot of $ in savings to pay double rent or to make a mistake (deposit + rent = $2500-$3000 minimum in my area). Any and all ideas are welcome (including crazy-seeming ones) !
daycarediva 10:31 AM 05-13-2014
I WOULD NOT be dishonest and do a switch and bait. My husband used to manage rental properties, they would just turn off a tenants water and the city would put up a 24 hour vacate notice. It's EASY to boot a tenant. I would call every available leasing and rental place in the area, tell them you're looking to rent in X area, with X size space in the X price range.

You would most likely have to put a larger deposit down for a pet anyway.

I would offer to provide proof of insurance, and sign a special contract stating that you're liable for OOP costs related to the daycare.
Blackcat31 10:57 AM 05-13-2014
I agree with Diva....don't do the switch and bait thing... I am sure it's not wise to begin building a business reputation dishonestly.

I would check with your state's rules and regulations. Some states say landlords can't deny you wanting to run a child care and some can.

I would familiarize myself with rental and child care laws in your area and go from there.

Running a child care in a rental isn't always a bad thing for a landlord...especially because running a business out of a rented home means you plan to be there awhile and long term renters seem to be a good thing.
TwinKristi 10:57 AM 05-13-2014
Check the laws in your state, in CA they can't prohibit you from running a small licensed daycare in your home. They can require you to meet certain criteria like insurance and such. I did have someone tell me no, the homeowner wasn't okay with me doing daycare, but I didn't know my rights and that as long as we met the financial requirements to rent the home that they couldn't tell me no. I wasn't planning on running a home daycare when we moved into this house, but the opportunity just landed in my lap and it worked out. If anything you would think daycare tenants would take good care of the home because they have to meet state standards and keep a clean and safe environment. My landlord CAN prohibit me from running a large family daycare but I'm not interested in that at this point.
Second Home 11:15 AM 05-13-2014
Be sure to read your lease carefully , some state that you are not allowed to run any type of business out of the rental home .
mountainside13 11:22 AM 05-13-2014
I had a hard time finding a rental unit that allowed daycare at first. In my state most landlords don't allow any business in your home. We finally found someone, we lived there for 4 years. Looking back I understand why many don't allow daycares. It's a big liability for the landlord. But don't worry, you will find somewhere!
Reply Up