Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM Constantly Later Than Her Contracted Hours To Pick Up Her Two Children!
Angelwings36 03:40 PM 03-14-2011
I took on this family about 2 months ago. DCM is a teacher so the hours that she needed me are from 8:00am - 4:15pm. There has been three times in the past two months that she has shown up right at 5:15pm to pick up her children without even calling to tell me she would be later. There are some days when my kids are all gone before 5:15pm and I really appreciate the days that I get off earlier. I do have in my contract that if you are later than your contracted hours I expect a phone call.

Should I...

Send DCM a letter stating that we agreed that she would need childcare from 8:00am - 4:15pm and that she needs to call and make arrangements with me if she is going to be later than that?

What can I do to make it so she no longer does this?
AfterSchoolMom 04:03 PM 03-14-2011
Do you have late fees in your contract? I speak from experience when I say that if you don't charge them right up front, they won't pay if you try to enforce it later. If you have fees, charge them! If you don't, change your policy, make her sign it, and tell her right now that you're going to enforce them.
jen 04:04 PM 03-14-2011
Yep, I think thats fair. I would address it in a super friendly way. Just let her know that you plan your time around contracted times and as such she needs to contact you if later care is required. You may also want to let her know that there will be times you will not be able to accomodate her REQUEST and of course, let her know what the fee is for additional time.

To be honest, once she has to pay for it, I highly doubt that she'll be late anymore.
Live and Learn 04:16 PM 03-14-2011
I WOULD NOT send a letter......tell her face to face!

Letters are for wimps!....and they give the parent an opportunity to say "I didn't see the letter." If you need something in writing then document that you spoke with her about the late pickups and have her sign it. Then put it in her file.

Parent behavior like this is rude. For all she knew everyone else was being picked up by 4:15 so that you could go to an important appointment.

Be sure to review your new LARGER late fees with her in the same conversation.

Good luck
DCMomOf3 04:16 PM 03-14-2011
DO you have a late pick-up fee? I charge $5 for every 15 minutes late starting 1 minute past the contracted times. Charging them for being late is usually very effective.
TBird 04:19 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
DO you have a late pick-up fee? I charge $5 for every 15 minutes late starting 1 minute past the contracted times. Charging them for being late is usually very effective.
I have a Late Fee for every 15 minutes past 5:30. Meaning that they don't get charged until 5:46...kind of like a 15 minute grace period for traffic. Do you think that's too lenient???
Christian Mother 10:26 PM 03-14-2011
My very first DCB mom is a teacher and her scheduled pick up time is 4:30pm...but she is almost always late. She is never past 5pm but, if she is.. she always calls or texts to let me know she will be a little late. Or if Dad will be picking him up. She works quite a ways from my home as well as hers so she is always stuck w/a parent or coming out of traffic on the frwy's. If I didn't have the kind of communication I do with these parents it would be very diff. but bc i know what is going on and it's beyond her/there control It doesn't bother me. She is always good with getting in touch with me and sometimes if she needs help I can drop him off to her. I don't charge late fees bc she's never abused me or lied to me about anything. I completely trust her. There has been a couple of time in the past 2 yrs that she was unable to pick up her son til 6pm and those where days that my children had actives so she was comfortable with my husband watching him. Those are very rare occasions. It happens... What I would do with your DCM is sit her down and tell her you need to discuss pick up times with her again. Tell her that lately pick up has been later then scheduled and you have things planned for your family and when she doesn't call or notify you about being late it throws everyone off. See if she can explain what is going on and see if she will be more communicative with you from here on out. I would tell her that this is just a warning but if she continues to pick up late then late fees will then apply. Tell her you've drawn up a new agreement with what you've just discussed bc it's now become a issue and make her sign it right in front of you. There shouldn't be any reason she should need to look it over further and give it to you in the morning. Make a copy for her and she can take it home so she has her own copy to look over. If she has questions she can call you or discuss the very next day.
QualiTcare 11:04 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
I WOULD NOT send a letter......tell her face to face!

Letters are for wimps!....and they give the parent an opportunity to say "I didn't see the letter." If you need something in writing then document that you spoke with her about the late pickups and have her sign it. Then put it in her file.

Parent behavior like this is rude. For all she knew everyone else was being picked up by 4:15 so that you could go to an important appointment.

Be sure to review your new LARGER late fees with her in the same conversation.

Good luck
i agree that i'd tell her face to face. i don't like letters unless it's something EVERYONE needs to know or if it's something that really needs to be documented (and even then i think it should be said face to face when delivering the letter). since it has been 3 times in 2 months, i would venture to guess that she had to stay over at work for a meeting. she may not realize that since you have other children in care at that time that she's considered late. i'm just giving the benefit of the doubt here, but maybe she doesn't realize that just because you're still working and your daycare is OPEN until 6pm (or whatever the time is) that she still HAS to be there by 4:15.
Kaddidle Care 03:48 AM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:
I took on this family about 2 months ago. DCM is a teacher so the hours that she needed me are from 8:00am - 4:15pm. There has been three times in the past two months that she has shown up right at 5:15pm to pick up her children without even calling to tell me she would be later.
She's probably under the impression that you are open later. 3 times in 2 months - I wouldn't exactly call "constantly" late.

Does she pay your late fee when she picks up late? If not, I would have a little chat with her to remind her of her contract time and that you would like the courtesy of a call if she is going to be late. If she has made you late for something scheduled after her pick up time, let her know.

I watched a neighbor's child after school (for FREE) and she started to pick up late, at first she would call and then she would just come late with no call, no apology, etc. I told her it wasn't working out and that she needed to arrange for other care for her child after school. Talk about being taken advantage of! Phooey!
DCMomOf3 04:36 AM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
I have a Late Fee for every 15 minutes past 5:30. Meaning that they don't get charged until 5:46...kind of like a 15 minute grace period for traffic. Do you think that's too lenient???
Yes, because they will start treating it as you close at 5:45 because they know that there is nothing you will do about it. You allow them to be late for free, they will be late.

I contract the commute times into my day. I live in a weather heavy state so I give more time than needed in my contracted times to allow for traffic,snow, etc. There is no reason they should be late.
Cat Herder 04:45 AM 03-15-2011
Yes, because they will start treating it as you close at 5:45 because they know that there is nothing you will do about it. You allow them to be late for free, they will be late.

I contract the commute times into my day. I live in a weather heavy state so I give more time than needed in my contracted times to allow for traffic,snow, etc. There is no reason they should be late.
This exactly....

It is time to schedule a conference and tell her the issue at hand. Give her/remind her of the policies and let her know they will be enforced from now on.

Once it is over, the stress and tension will stop.. So worth a few uncomfortable minutes
Blackcat31 10:18 AM 03-15-2011
I say nothing until the third time they go outside their contracted hours. a
After the third time I adjust their contracted hours to reflect the new hours (I adjust the rate as well.)

If they do not want to keep the new rates/hours, I tell them we will revert back to old hours and rates after three weeks of consistent and on time drop offs/pick ups.
TBird 10:54 AM 03-15-2011

Soooooo...if your parents come at 5:31 they get charged??? Do your parents give you a hard time about paying??? Do you collect at pickup and how do you ask??? I just termed my late parents (for other reasons) but I'd like to put my mind at ease for the next set. Thanks so much for your advice!
krystamichelle 12:13 PM 03-15-2011
I have it in my contract that I charge double time for late arrivals and a three strikes policy for no call, no shows of any sort. After three strikes, the parent will be given a two week notice to find another provider.
kendallina 12:20 PM 03-15-2011
Haven't read all responses...

Have you talked to her about why this is happening? I would say to her that you were under the impression that she would be there daily at 4:15 but some days she comes at 5:15. And ask why that might be?

Give her the benefit of the doubt, perhaps she has an appointment once a month or something.

Then I would reiterate that you need to know in advance of when she's going to come that late (that is, if it's okay with you that she comes that late...). If you need her to not be that late ever, then tell her that you are already closed at that time, so you need the children picked up no later than ...whatever time. And if you have a late policy, tell her that you will be enforcing it.
daycare 12:23 PM 03-15-2011
If you would like I can share with you my contacted hours contract that I have for each family. This way there is no guessing on either side what time someone will be there or what time they have to puck up/drop off.
Pm me if u want
Tags:late pickup, late policy
Reply Up