Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>MMR Confirmed To Cause Autism?
Denali 06:19 PM 02-06-2017
That was what I was just told from a potential DCM. That it has now been confirmed beyond a doubt that the MMR vaccine causes Autism. She found that out from her hours of research on parenting forums.

I can't. I just can't...

But the real kicker? She actually had the balls to ask if my son (special needs) had gotten the shot.

I had to walk away. DH had to diplomatically show her the door.

Has anyone else ever had an interview like this before? I'm just completely 😳
DaveA 04:01 AM 02-07-2017
Not an interview, but yeah I've had that "There's never a hand grenade when you need one" moment with some people. It's one thing when a first time parent is asking me concerned about doing what's best for their child. It's the "I saw it on the internet- it must be true" stuff that drives me nuts. I can't talk to people on that subject without wanting to throat punch somebody.
Pestle 06:37 AM 02-07-2017

Blackcat31 06:54 AM 02-07-2017
@ Pestle

Leigh 07:49 AM 02-07-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Sadly, it's totally accurate!
Sumshine 09:50 AM 02-07-2017
Originally Posted by Denali:
That was what I was just told from a potential DCM. That it has now been confirmed beyond a doubt that the MMR vaccine causes Autism. She found that out from her hours of research on parenting forums.

I can't. I just can't...

But the real kicker? She actually had the balls to ask if my son (special needs) had gotten the shot.

I had to walk away. DH had to diplomatically show her the door.

Has anyone else ever had an interview like this before? I'm just completely 😳
I haven't necessarily had an interview where they were clearly being offensive even if they didn't mean it. I don't know what I would have done in that scenario.

I did however have an interview when I very first opened. The child was high functioning autistic which doesn't scare me as both my younger siblings are high functioning autistic as well but I did explain to Mom that sometimes a group environment is in the best environment and if they do do well in a group environment they literally need somebody by their side the whole time and I didn't know if I would be able to provide that but would be willing to set up an interview.

The child had a few meltdowns nothing serious but what mom was telling me was appalling me and I didn't know what to do because I just wanted to be done with the interview because I knew I wouldn't want to take her requests on! She asked me if I would serve him chicken nuggets every day because that is all he would eat and she asked me to please never let him nap as she likes to lay him down around 7pm and if he naps he won't go down. She said he will try to nap and get cranky but she does not want him taking a nap. She wanted to use me all 12 6-6 hours and even asked if I could open early for her.
I tried to end the interview as soon as I could and I just explained as she left I had a few other interviews for the same opening and I would let her know my decision in a few days.

She seemed okay with that but the child literally would not leave and she sat there fighting with him in the entryway while I was making the daycare kids lunch it was the most awkward moment of my life I didn't really know what to do! If it was me in that position I would have just carried him out and been done but she literally sat there arguing with him and kept saying "we need to go... we don't do this... we don't hit/kick mom... etc" but not actually doing anything to make him get his shoes on and go. It lasted all through me cooking lunch and my kiddos eating. I kept awkwardly peeking over to see if they were making progress but didn't know if I should say or do anything!

Less than an hour later she texted me and said that I was for sure where she wanted to go. I tried to again explain that I still had interviews to conduct and I would let her know my decision. She kept texting me like it was a done deal lol!

Finally at the end of the night I just lied and said I had another interview later that day and filled the spot!

I have luckily not ran into any other crazy interviews but it is definitely a really awkward position because you want to just kick them out and be done because you know this isn't going to work but they don't really understand that!
daycarediva 09:57 AM 02-07-2017
Yes, I have had numerous non vaxing parent interviews, I now ask during the phone interview. I have an autistic son, try me with that BS.
Pestle 10:11 AM 02-07-2017
Yes, I always respond to inquiries with:

"My hours are M-F, X to X. We have two cats in the house, if allergies are an issue. Because I follow state regulations, I can only take kids who are on schedule with their immunizations. Would you like to set up an interview?"

But man. "Did you break your child or something?" is pretty awful. My family has a member with severe Autism and got drawn into that con back when it first broke, and it's pretty infuriating that people are still spreading it around.

I had a DCD who was talking about juicing and natural foods. I said, "When my grandmother was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer she changed her diet completely and starting eating raw foods." To which he responded:

"Cancer is a joke. It's 100% curable. All you have to do is take treatment in a sensory deprivation tank; cancer cells can't survive in a pure oxygen environment."

So apparently my grandma died of a pharmaceutical conspiracy.
Denali 11:20 AM 02-07-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Yes, I always respond to inquiries with:

"My hours are M-F, X to X. We have two cats in the house, if allergies are an issue. Because I follow state regulations, I can only take kids who are on schedule with their immunizations. Would you like to set up an interview?"

But man. "Did you break your child or something?" is pretty awful. My family has a member with severe Autism and got drawn into that con back when it first broke, and it's pretty infuriating that people are still spreading it around.

I had a DCD who was talking about juicing and natural foods. I said, "When my grandmother was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer she changed her diet completely and starting eating raw foods." To which he responded:

"Cancer is a joke. It's 100% curable. All you have to do is take treatment in a sensory deprivation tank; cancer cells can't survive in a pure oxygen environment."

So apparently my grandma died of a pharmaceutical conspiracy.
I would have flipped! Nothing gets me angry like that kind of ignorance. It just... grrr. Then they get all mad that I tell them I will not be taking them because of state regs (have to be fully vaccinated. Can have a doctors note but that's up to the daycare to take it or not, and I don't know a doctor that will give a note for "MMR causes Autism" and no, A note from your herbalist does not count...).

It's their choice to not vaccinate, sure, but with their choice there are consequences. Like having a hard time finding a good licensed daycare. What really gets me mad is the fit they throw when they're choice effects them.

I'm sorry about that DCD... that's was a cruel thing to say, and I would have had a very hard time not saying something about it.
Pestle 07:10 AM 02-08-2017
You know what else can't survive in a pure oxygen environment? All of the rest of us.

But anyhow, it's two separate issues. Four, really:

1. Being wrong about something that gets people steamed up
2. Being wrong about something and directing your behavior according to that wrong belief
3. Being wrong about something and making bad parenting decisions according to that wrong belief

and

4. Being a jerk who rubs your aggressive, disapproving opinion (whether right or wrong) in other people's faces in order to feel superior

#1 is none of our business and takes up 67% of the internet (the other 33% is cat/doge memes)
#2 is a gray area where family, neighbors, churches, and governments have to decide what's worthy of intervention
#3 is another gray area where those same groups plus care providers, schools, and social services have to decide if it's worth stepping in
#4 is wretched and shouldn't happen, but it's not illegal and the best you can do is to take the high ground and then rapidly distance yourself from the person

I don't like conflict, so I only mess with #3 and leave the others alone.
Tags:autism, difficult parent, vaccinations
Reply Up