Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM Not Responding To Texts
debbiedoeszip 04:10 AM 04-03-2017
I'm not opening the daycare today due to my own illness. I've left dcm two texts letting her know. Though I only contact her via text, about 50% of the time she calls me (which costs me money, grrr). Should I call her to make sure she got the texts, or if she tries to drop off dcb just say: "I left you two texts informing..."?
childcaremom 04:14 AM 04-03-2017
Originally Posted by debbiedoeszip:
I'm not opening the daycare today due to my own illness. I've left dcm two texts letting her know. Though I only contact her via text, about 50% of the time she calls me (which costs me money, grrr). Should I call her to make sure she got the texts, or if she tries to drop off dcb just say: "I left you two texts informing..."?
I'd lock the door and put a note on the door.

I have a form for parents to fill out that has a spot for one sure way to contact them so if I need to close I only send one message.
debbiedoeszip 04:30 AM 04-03-2017
It was super awkward but I called her. Ugh! One of the few things I miss about working outside of the home is being able to call in sick easily (not only logistically easier but also having 10 sick/personal days per year - I'm Canadian).
Ariana 05:05 AM 04-03-2017
I would call as well if no response from text
LysesKids 06:36 AM 04-03-2017
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I'd lock the door and put a note on the door.

I have a form for parents to fill out that has a spot for one sure way to contact them so if I need to close I only send one message.
I'm the same way, I leave a note on the door if my texts go unanswered. If I'm sick enough to close, I'm probably to sick to talk on the phone and I have already buried myself under covers
Blackcat31 08:49 AM 04-03-2017
I require parents to reply to ANY text I send.
If I didn't get a reply, I'd post on the parent board on my website (parents are expected to check it daily for notices) and if they still showed up, I'd have a closed sign posted on the door.
I probably wouldn't have had an issue calling her quickly just to make sure she was aware but honestly I'd prefer that parents just read and replied to their texts. Makes it so much easier.

@debbiedoeszip

I hope it's nothing serious and that you feel better soon!

Unregistered 05:07 PM 04-03-2017
Depending on what time you called she may not have read your text message yet. I personally don't have my cell phone on me 24 hours a day. Once I get home my cell goes on its charger and then I don't pick it up until the morning when I am getting ready to leave for the day. It stays downstairs in the kitchen with the ringer off. We have a landline that we use for regular calls at home.
debbiedoeszip 03:59 AM 04-04-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I require parents to reply to ANY text I send.
If I didn't get a reply, I'd post on the parent board on my website (parents are expected to check it daily for notices) and if they still showed up, I'd have a closed sign posted on the door.
I probably wouldn't have had an issue calling her quickly just to make sure she was aware but honestly I'd prefer that parents just read and replied to their texts. Makes it so much easier.

@debbiedoeszip

I hope it's nothing serious and that you feel better soon!
It's just a cold, and not even a really terrible one, but I was coughing so often (despite cough meds) that I couldn't fall asleep the entire night. I don't work on zero sleep. When I was working at a call center, one shift after having only 1-2 hours of sleep, I offered a customer a service with 30 months risk free rather than 30 days risk free. I don't even remember what I said, it was the person sitting next to me who caught it. My awesome supervisor sent me home "sick" (not paid but no penalty).
debbiedoeszip 04:35 AM 04-04-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Depending on what time you called she may not have read your text message yet. I personally don't have my cell phone on me 24 hours a day. Once I get home my cell goes on its charger and then I don't pick it up until the morning when I am getting ready to leave for the day. It stays downstairs in the kitchen with the ringer off. We have a landline that we use for regular calls at home.
They don't have a landline and texting is how she contacts me 50% of the time. I contact her by text about 99% of the time (and only use another method when texting fails). It's dumb of her to not check her texts first thing in the morning since she can't work if she doesn't have childcare for her youngest child. Checking her texts early means having more time to make other arrangements if need be.
lovemykidstoo 04:55 AM 04-04-2017
Do you have a daycare facebook page or group? I have one and when I post on it you can see who has seen the post. It will say "seen by so and so". That way you can confirm that someone has seen it even if they don't reply.
Tags:closing - short notice, closing due to illness, communicating with parents, texting - policy
Reply Up