Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Not To Say In An Interview
Unregistered 08:48 AM 10-05-2017
What not to say in the same sentence when interviewing for a spot:

My child uses bottles still.....they are still in a crib/play pen.....I want to start potty training. (insert eye roll)

NEXT!
MarinaVanessa 09:02 AM 10-05-2017
Not even kidding ... this was written in a recent application for a family I interviewed:

What makes your child upset?
When you take something from him and when you say no for something he wants

What do you find is the best way of handling your child?
Give him what he wants

NEXT!
Cat Herder 09:06 AM 10-05-2017
That is a good one.

"My last babysitter was so uptight about being there at 6 on the dot. I mean, like, I am rarely late, like once a month, maybe. I can't help traffic."

"What is your discount for college students?"

"I don't have a court order, but....Dad is not allowed to pick up."

"I might be able to afford that."

"My husbands ex is ****, I am more a mother, so...."

I could go on for days.
daycarediva 09:11 AM 10-05-2017
"He only eats like 5 foods"

"I lay down with him to sleep so he won't take naps" (a 2 year old)

"My daughter has final say of where she will go and we are touring every place in this area." (3yo, asked to attend, too. NEXT)

It's like a gong show.
amberrose3dg 09:19 AM 10-05-2017
I have had that too. You let your kids run the show huh.
I had a family show up and there was like 5 cars all around my house. Next thing I know like 10 people in my house. Aunts uncles cousins im like wtf. It was supposed to be a dad with his daughter and his sister with her daughter. They had went to the same daycare and it closed down. They had nerve to say my house was too small. No sh*t there are 10 of you and you aren't small people!(my house isn't small they are just being picky and obnoxious) Guess who never called them back.
LysesKids 10:07 AM 10-05-2017
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
I have had that too. You let your kids run the show huh.
I had a family show up and there was like 5 cars all around my house. Next thing I know like 10 people in my house. Aunts uncles cousins im like wtf. It was supposed to be a dad with his daughter and his sister with her daughter. They had went to the same daycare and it closed down. They had nerve to say my house was too small. No sh*t there are 10 of you and you aren't small people!(my house isn't small they are just being picky and obnoxious) Guess who never called them back.
I specifically have a policy on my website that says I don't allow extra people from coming to the interview; I explain it's the 2 parents or guardians & the BABY (if born)... no extra siblings, grands or friends. I do this because it is only me, and I too am in a small space and it's a safety issue. They show up with extra people, I cancel the interview. Right there it tells me they will disregard my rules
Blackcat31 10:42 AM 10-05-2017
I don't mind or care if kids sleep in cribs at home until they are 5, I don't care if they aren't potty trained until the month before Kindergarten and I don't care if they are served every meal in a bottle. NONE of those things are my concern.

What happens at home is the parent's issue/concern.

What happens here is my only concern.

If I am unable to accommodate a child due to what happens at home, the trial period serves me well.

It really is that simple.
Ariana 10:48 AM 10-05-2017

How about “we are potty training our 10 month old and the other day she said “butterfly” and she only sleeps 8 hours a day” Ummmm what?
e.j. 11:01 AM 10-05-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What not to say in the same sentence when interviewing for a spot:
"We recently moved to the area; my ex isn't aware I've left with the kids. If the sheriff shows up at your house.... "
HappyEverAfter 11:02 AM 10-05-2017
Potential DCM once asked how many children I care for. I told her 3 total, one of which is only here part time. Her response? With obvious fear in her voice, she said "Wow, that seems like a lot to handle."

How is 3 kids too much to handle? 😆 It took everything I had not to be sarcastic and say "honey, you're not looking for an in home daycare. What you're looking for is a private nanny."
Mom2Two 03:56 PM 10-05-2017
Dcb has a melt down in interview, and parents say "We think he'll improve if he has a little socialization."

Last week an interviewing mom asks if I have space for her six year old daughter too. I ask if the girl is in kindergarten, and she says, "No, first grade. I guess I'll get around to registering her for school sometime here."

Then she says, "My daughter is just like me" as mom is rolling her eyes to show what she thinks of her daughter.
DaveA 05:00 PM 10-05-2017
While thumbing through my contract-“Do you really expect people to actually do this stuff?” Um yeah that’s kind of the whole point of a contract. Needless to say the interview didn’t last long. She was stunned at the idea I could actually refuse to care for her kid.
MyAngels 08:52 PM 10-05-2017
"You'll need to rock him to sleep." How old is he again? "He's 4."

They were shocked, shocked I tell you, when I refused to enroll
Josiegirl 10:30 AM 10-06-2017
OMG you guys are all too funny! I guess it's not funny since this is all real life but oh wow is all I can say.
Uneffingbelievable
Jupadia 09:12 AM 10-07-2017
Originally Posted by Starrygirl:
Potential DCM once asked how many children I care for. I told her 3 total, one of which is only here part time. Her response? With obvious fear in her voice, she said "Wow, that seems like a lot to handle."

How is 3 kids too much to handle? 😆 It took everything I had not to be sarcastic and say "honey, you're not looking for an in home daycare. What you're looking for is a private nanny."

I think I get this question from almost every interviews I do or a variation of it except my total kids is 5 to 6 depending on time of year and ages.
Jamie 03:28 AM 10-10-2017
My interviews are in my open hours, which means the kids are there.
A mom showed up with her 8-month-old in trousers, white shirt and vest - the 8-month-old!! Meanwhile, my crew were running around in onesies and joggers.
Mom asked: "Do any of them have a language?"
Me: "They... have as much language as you do when you're a toddler." (Besides, they're right there, why don't you just talk to them?)
Mom: "Do you sing with them? No, that can't be done since they have no language..."
Me: "???? We... actually sing a lot..."

It didn't work out
Unregistered 12:39 PM 10-14-2017
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Not even kidding ... this was written in a recent application for a family I interviewed:

What makes your child upset?
When you take something from him and when you say no for something he wants

What do you find is the best way of handling your child?
Give him what he wants

NEXT!
They fill out an application before touring? Is that by email or something on your website?
Unregistered 03:21 AM 10-16-2017
"He's been biting at his current day care, but that's because the other kids were doing it too!"

"They just don't understand her where she is now"
As the child they are speaking of is busy tearing my playroom apart and pushing the other kids around.
nanglgrl 07:11 AM 10-17-2017
He's outgrown naps (at 18 months).
CeriBear 07:01 AM 10-19-2017
My child doesn’t nap anymore but if you sit beside her and pat her back or read to her she will be quiet and not fuss.
MarinaVanessa 08:10 AM 10-19-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
They fill out an application before touring? Is that by email or something on your website?
I have an "All About Me" form in the parent packet that I pass out to families interested in enrolling (emailed or printed out) and those some of the questions that I ask. I used to hand it to parents after they decided to enroll but it's very telling so I hand it out along with the handbook now.
Unregistered 06:53 PM 10-23-2017
Prospective parent: How much do you charge?

Me: $XYZ.00

Not so prospective parent: Oh, well could you do it for $YZ.00? ($30.00 less than the rate I gave her)

Me: Nope.
Tags:interview - checklist, interview - questions, interview - red flag
Reply Up