Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Starting Over
Ms.Kay 04:22 PM 04-21-2020
So I had 9 families..5 wks ago....2 are now the only ones paying 50%...greatly appreciated. My instinct says the other 7 now have broken their contract. ...as well as the pandemic contract...offering 50%....to hold their spot. 5 families are at full pay at home. A. I want to offer a new contract.....with a new rate....as well as another deposit to the people who left. B. start over....and tell those people who left NO. What are your thoughts? TiA..and hope you are all well.
PB&J 04:39 PM 04-21-2020
You said it: they left. You offered a 50% deal. They refused. IMO, they are no longer your clients. PERIOD. If they call when this is over, treat them the same as any other person calling for services. Or, knowing their true colors, simply decline. Or at least be choosy.
Ariana 05:17 PM 04-21-2020
Originally Posted by PB&J:
You said it: they left. You offered a 50% deal. They refused. IMO, they are no longer your clients. PERIOD. If they call when this is over, treat them the same as any other person calling for services. Or, knowing their true colors, simply decline. Or at least be choosy.
Agreed! Here in Ontario we are not allowed to ask for payments if child is not attending or we are closed AND we have to keep their spot. Thank your lucky stars you are not in my situation!
Lil_Diddle 10:54 PM 04-21-2020
I’m in the exact same boat. I lost two of my families, one had multiple children. All of my families are working from home with pay. The ones that haven’t quit are paying the 50%, actually they’ve been really great about it. The families that did quit on me, I did not return any of their deposits. One was not happy because I was offering 50% tuition and did not return 50% of the deposit (because yes, while I’m losing money, let me take $300 out for you as you take advantage of the situation). The two families that did quit on me, pay monthly so I did agree to return what they would have overpayed when the shut down started. It has now been a couple weeks and these families have yet to pick up their money or their children’s belongings. If for some reason they should decide to come back I will recharge their deposit. Or re-bill them for what they missed with late fees. But honestly, I wouldn’t want to take them back. They are all still getting paid, and the fact they left me in hard times says enough. That and the fact they asked for refunds when im already financially struggling.
DaveA 03:43 AM 04-22-2020
Like the others have said- you offered a solution to maintain their spot and they declined it. If you want to take them back it's a new enrollment by your new rules/ contract. But honestly with exception of situations like moving for work then coming back to the area I don't resign previous families.
Josiegirl 03:45 AM 04-22-2020
If it were me, I'd be done with the disrespectful and unappreciative dcfs. Their actions speak much louder than anything. It's their choice to not pay you just as much as it's your choice to not take them back. The minute they refused to pay the holding fee became the minute they decided to stop being enrolled.
And Ariana, that's ridiculous. So you are forced to hold their spots for zero income?
Cat Herder 04:51 AM 04-22-2020
B.

It would be proven that they are a bad business risk. I would start filling their slots, now.

Not to mention the resentment that will build for you by Christmas.
rosieteddy 06:48 AM 04-22-2020
The other 7 have now broken their contract.I would think hard about excepting them back.However as my mother used to say "don't cut your nose off to spite your face".Meaning rewrite a contract for them.I would charge more than previous tuition at least 50.dollars.Then I would send them a copy.Put in a new stipulation about closures and payment .Take every holiday you want and get paid summer vacations.
grandmom 02:29 PM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Agreed! Here in Ontario we are not allowed to ask for payments if child is not attending or we are closed AND we have to keep their spot. Thank your lucky stars you are not in my situation!
What???!!! This makes me so angry for you. Is the government paying for their spot? What happened to being a small business? Ugh.
Unregistered 02:52 PM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by grandmom:
What???!!! This makes me so angry for you. Is the government paying for their spot? What happened to being a small business? Ugh.

It is creating a great deal of stress and confusion for some providers in Ontario. Some are wondering how in the world we are required to hold a spot for clients in our home daycares without pay, when some will not be able to keep their homes due to income loss. I see several home daycares in my city have already decided to close for good as soon as this was announced, yet others are wondering if they can or are aloud to close up.

Some providers are applying for the Canadian Emergency Relief Benefit (CERB) which is $2000 per month for up to 4 months. Others are insisting providers can not apply as were are considered essential, and you can't voluntarily stop working and apply for CERB.

Getting clear cut answers for independent home daycare providers in Ontario has been a challenge.
Jupadia 05:39 PM 04-22-2020
I only have one family left before the Ontario government put the no payment thing and have to hold spot for child into effect. I had already agreed not to accept payment from the family. Two other kids had left the month before this blew up, (got daycare subsidy I dont offer it and job loss for other). The other family I had ghosted me and wont even responded if they want their kids snowsuit. This was before we were told we have to keep spots so their gone.

I went ahead and applied for the Canadian cerb, because it stipulated if covid put you out of work or you had to be hone with your kids now that school was canceled. Since my family's left and I did not take payments beyond the first two weeks, and even though I am officially open (since hone daycare is essential), I did loss 100% of my income. My two family's would not have left if not due to covid. Also cant apply for jobs right now cause I have my boys at home

As for not filling a spot, I dont think in the end the government will be able to do alot if a provider fills up a child's spot while they are gone and not paying. As long as the provider not holding a deposit, that could be an issue if they were. Some providers will close and the government cant force them to stay in business either. Were I see this law mostly applying to centers, that have been closed.
Snowmom 06:05 PM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay:
So I had 9 families..5 wks ago....2 are now the only ones paying 50%...greatly appreciated. My instinct says the other 7 now have broken their contract. ...as well as the pandemic contract...offering 50%....to hold their spot. 5 families are at full pay at home. A. I want to offer a new contract.....with a new rate....as well as another deposit to the people who left. B. start over....and tell those people who left NO. What are your thoughts? TiA..and hope you are all well.
I wouldn't take them back. And I'm petty enough to keep that information to myself too.
I assume they think you will just take them back when it's all said and done (without communicating with you). So, let them find out the hard way that they no longer have a spot.
AmyKidsCo 01:15 PM 04-23-2020
ITA with everyone else. I'd look for new clients and not accept the other ones back if they ask. As a rule I don't take clients back after they leave.
Meeko 01:28 PM 04-24-2020
No pay and no attendance means they are no longer clients!
bubblegum 08:46 AM 05-01-2020
The only way I would take them back would be to change my policies to address a 50% pay during a pandemic and ask for a deposit.
Leigh 02:37 PM 05-01-2020
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay:
If the ones who didn't pay want to come back, I'd remind them that they haven't made payment for xx number of weeks, and that they'll need to get their account current before returning (18 weeks x 50% rate, for example). I wouldn't let them back without paying what the GOOD clients felt. If you let them back without paying what your other clients DID pay, how will those clients who respected you feel? They'll feel like you robbed them.
Unregistered 01:47 PM 05-06-2020
I suggest seeing what the situation is like when you decide to reopen. Will you be able to fill the slots with new clients, or not? And these new clients... what happened to their previous care situation? There isn't going to be a long line of parents who paid 50%+ throughout the pandemic that are in need of care.

I'd also take into consideration the situation of the few families who did lose income. If their income is stable again, it might be worth working with them if you had no previous problems.

With that information, do what is best for your business. If you have enough potential clients, you are in a strong position to not hold spots for those who didn't work with you during closure.
Tags:business management, risk management
Reply Up