Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>24/48 Rule And Sick On Friday
childcaremom 09:33 AM 01-12-2017
If I send home, it's a 48 hour exclusion. So if I send home ill on Friday, they can return to care on Monday.

I have noticed a pattern with a family that they will keep child home if ill during the beginning of the week but on Fridays they will risk it.

Those of you with the same illness policy, how do you handle this?
JackandJill 09:36 AM 01-12-2017
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
If I send home, it's a 48 hour exclusion. So if I send home ill on Friday, they can return to care on Monday.

I have noticed a pattern with a family that they will keep child home if ill during the beginning of the week but on Fridays they will risk it.

Honestly, if I was seeing a pattern, I would start excluding on Mondays for sending home on Friday. Its seems like they found a "loop hole" and are trying to exploit it.

I would just make an adjustment to the sick policy saying children sent home on Fridays will not be allowed back until Tuesday.
Indoorvoice 09:53 AM 01-12-2017
In this situation, I might not bring the 48 hr rule into it because they will probably argue that since they do actually stay home 48 hours. Idk, I would just find it hard to enforce that many hours at home. Instead I might make a policy like "repeated instances of sending home for illnesses could result in termination of your contract." It's really ridiculous how there's always that one family who finds all the loopholes.
daycarediva 10:05 AM 01-12-2017
I haven't found a loophole yet. I just end up letting them go if it becomes an issue for me.
Ariana 10:50 AM 01-12-2017
Maybe revise your contract to state that repeatedly sending in sick kids could result in termination?

I personally would accept them back into care for Monday. My contract doesn't support it otherwise.
Cat Herder 10:58 AM 01-12-2017
Turn them away at the door.

When you have had enough "no longer a good fit" works nicely. Explaining your reason will simply create more conflict or accusations. Parents like that don't really want to be taught anything or accept personal accountability.

Maintain your peace.
lovemykidstoo 12:47 PM 01-12-2017

Maybe it's because I have this dumb cold and my brain is not at capacity, but I"m not understanding this. So their child is sick at the beginning of the week, so they stay home the 48 hours and that's ok. So is the problem that they're sending a sick child on Friday? If the child is sick just send the child back home and count the 48 hours as the weekend. I know I'm missing something lol
Indoorvoice 03:03 PM 01-12-2017
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Maybe it's because I have this dumb cold and my brain is not at capacity, but I"m not understanding this. So their child is sick at the beginning of the week, so they stay home the 48 hours and that's ok. So is the problem that they're sending a sick child on Friday? If the child is sick just send the child back home and count the 48 hours as the weekend. I know I'm missing something lol
I think she is upset because she is noticing that when the child is sick on a Friday, they knowingly send the child because they know the 48 hour rule won't affect them.
childcaremom 03:24 PM 01-12-2017
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I think she is upset because she is noticing that when the child is sick on a Friday, they knowingly send the child because they know the 48 hour rule won't affect them.
Yes, this is it exactly.
childcaremom 03:39 PM 01-12-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Turn them away at the door.

When you have had enough "no longer a good fit" works nicely. Explaining your reason will simply create more conflict or accusations. Parents like that don't really want to be taught anything or accept personal accountability.

Maintain your peace.

If I wasn't closing soon (like next few months soon), she would def. not be a good fit much longer.

I was just hoping to find a way to plug the loophole in the short term. She's been out sick all week and I fully expect her back tomorrow and not ready to be back. I plan to meet them with the thermometer at the door.
lovemykidstoo 05:29 PM 01-12-2017
Yes, this is it exactly.
Got ya. So I did have it right that they're sending a sick one on Friday. That's BS, I would be standing with the thermometer too, but you know she'll dope and drop.
knoxmomof2 08:18 AM 01-13-2017

I plan to meet them with the thermometer at the door.
Hahaha!
Tags:24/48 rule, illness policy, sending home
Reply Up