Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help With Holiday Closure Notice
Unregistered 11:27 AM 09-01-2015
I am not normally open on holidays but have two dcms who are nurses. I agreed to stay open for them on the holiday (with an added fee) but found out my rental application was accepted on a new house. Monday is the only day I have help to move and makes the most sense to move over the long weekend and reopen on Tuesday. How do I tell these families I will not be open, given that it is such short notice?
Thriftylady 11:31 AM 09-01-2015
Is there anyone who can sub for you for the day? With that short of notice it could be a big problem for nurses.
Cat Herder 11:32 AM 09-01-2015
Typically clients take short notice better with a discount or refunds.

You would charge if they did it?

Congrats on the new place.
organicdclady 11:39 AM 09-01-2015
They are both technically drop in clients. They give me the schedule a month or so in advance and if I am full or closed I tell them with as much notice as possible. I could have someone at the house to provide care but there are 3 children and 1 infant. I feel like they would really get in the way of moving, is that safe for them? Appropriate? Not to mention my father, brother and my sons father will be helping move, all of whom do not reside in the house and are not cleared by licensing to be here. Accommodating them seems like more of a headache than it's worth. I would not charge them at all for the day as they pay when they come.
Cat Herder 11:42 AM 09-01-2015
Originally Posted by Raishelle:
I would not charge them at all for the day as they pay when they come.
In your shoes I would just tell them the truth.

Also: Tell them how much better the new place will be for their kids (assuming you will be staying in business) and that this one time inconvenience will be worth it for them too.
rosieteddy 01:48 PM 09-01-2015
Everybody has emergency/sick or personal days.I would tell them now and let them figure out alternate care for the day.I can not imagine trying to move with daycare open.I would bet its against regs as well.
Play Care 01:53 PM 09-01-2015
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Everybody has emergency/sick or personal days.I would tell them now and let them figure out alternate care for the day.I can not imagine trying to move with daycare open.I would bet its against regs as well.
This. I know I wouldn't be allowed to do this.
Reply Up