Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Posters
Boymom 09:15 AM 05-18-2016
Do you all have educational posters, such as shapes, colors, etc on your walls? My daycare walls have absolutely nothing on them and I feel bad! I have tons of toys/puzzles, and I teach them all of that stuff, I just don't know if I should make my daycare walls more presentable!
Josiegirl 09:24 AM 05-18-2016
I have different kinds of posters up, but the dcks don't even pay attention to them anymore. And to be honest I only put them up to please STARS.
I bought a nice set of manners posters through Lakeshore. I have a couple posters I bought at the dollar store. I also have a colors and shapes posters but can't remember where those came from. I think I have one that has a few spanish/english words that I may have gotten from the Boogie Wipes mailing awhile back. I rotate them out but like I said, they get little attention from anyone.
laundrymom 09:29 AM 05-18-2016
I used to. And then I looked around at my space. I had pictures up of the things in their hands. I chose to remove the cheap posters and label the shelves and totes with them at the kids eye level. I have a ledge around my room that I rotate artwork on. Some kids make. Others I just enjoy looking at. My space is much calmer.
organicdclady 09:34 AM 05-18-2016
I hope you can see the photos. We have large numbers on another wall and our bulletin board on another.
We use the calendar wall for circle time, our letter and color of the week are usually on the wall near the shape/color poster.
My theory is to only put up when what your going to use. If your not going to discuss those colors, shapes, etc then don't put them up. The other thing is nothing is permanent. I change out our circle time posters every week.
Attached: 12278641_144027419289781_8356001496615637734_n.jpg (62.0 KB) 12246852_144027755956414_662240823207866033_n.jpg (99.5 KB) 
thrivingchildcarecom 09:45 AM 05-18-2016
Apparently depending on the analyst (or their mood) fcc's in my territory are discouraged from making our environments look too much like a "preschool". That being said we use creative ways to decorate our child cares.

I am so thankful that my dch bought me a die cutting machine years ago. It is so useful when we want new decor we just cut it out. It also is great for projects and holidays too.

Another way to decorate on the cheap would be to get some of the really cute gift bags at the dollar stores and mount them on a plain canvas frame or even some cardboard would work. Instant oversized child themed prints to hang on your walls.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:48 AM 05-18-2016
Right now I have a one year old that takes anything she can reach off the wall! So, anything I have is up above where I would "like" it. I don't have a lot of wall space. I do have up the kids art work (high) and we color color a calendar at the beginning of the year- kids colored the months, I laminated the sheets and we work our way through the year. They like seeing who's birthdays are where and how many are left etc. I have done letter strips before. I do have a magnetic dry erase board that is at floor level. I have various magnet sets that I trade out. They do like sitting and playing with those and it is colorful and at their eye level.
Oh and I have up some of the food progam posters.... they have kids eating food! I feel it is a good reminder to parents. In my breakfast nook I have some photos of real food that I was gifted from a photograper. They have been published so it is kind of cool. https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...af&oe=57DA0234
tomato 11:24 AM 05-18-2016
Are wall posters really that important?
I haven't read anything by this writer, but I understand that there is a writer named Sullivan who posted a picture of a snowman with its nose missing, just to see if the children would notice.
If any of the children noticed, they didn't comment.
CalCare 11:37 AM 05-18-2016
Maybe you can ask your local referral office for a copy of the fccers (family childcare environmental rating scale) book. In there it will list what would be considered beneficial to display. For example: Current/ recent children's artwork, pictures showing a variety of ages, abilities, genders, skin tones, all actively doing things that aren't stereotypes (mom in her police uniform, child in a wheel chair throwing a basketball, etc). Also real people from different areas of the world and different cultures but not dressed in special celebration clothing, but dressed in their real clothing and not ancient historical clothing but the modern clothing they wear every day. As far as numbers and letters- the fccers, iters and eccers books will give a million little details of what is considered best. That said, it's your own house. So, do it however you like of course! Some philosophies flat out disagree with letters and numbers displayed or taught in ECE. Some philosophies disagree with using unnaturally bright primary colors. Some philosophies disagree with having much on display at all (too much over stimulation), some philosophies want their three year olds to know how to read and would need a print rich environment to encourage it... So much to choose from!
Thriftylady 12:18 PM 05-18-2016
I just got my shipment from the pears people today on the freebie post BC posted a week or so ago. Some cute Bert and Ernie and Cookie Monster ones!
Pepperth 12:21 PM 05-18-2016
The only thing I have on the walls right now are my bulletin board and a few quotes by Dr. Seuss.
Blackcat31 12:35 PM 05-18-2016
I have poster frames and I put photos of the kids in them.

I have pictures of their faces crying, laughing and other emotions...

I also have pictures of them doing different activities in poster frames too!

They love looking at themselves and at other kids they recognize.

I rotate the photos out every so often so that they don't just blend into the wall and become obscure.

They notice instantly when I change the photos out.
Miss A 12:39 PM 05-18-2016
I have a few color, number, and letter posters from the Dollar Tree up on my walls, but I use more photos of the children in my care than anything. They like to look at themselves doing activities, and see the friends that may be home for the day.

That said, I run legally unlicensed, so I do not follow FCCERS. I worked in a center as a lead teacher though for 2 years and know that ITERS requires photos of different races interacting, as well as children of all abilities. As I live in a rural area, all children in my care are white, and one has a small disability, but as I said, I do not worry too much about that being represented in my photos. We read books that help us to learn about those around us.
kendallina 04:45 PM 05-18-2016
I don't have any posters up, I find the kids ignore them.

I do own a poster about ants that I put up when we study ants and they pay attention to that.

I do have an alphabet up on the wall in front of the writing table, they use that poster.

Everything else up on the wall are pictures of the kids and their artwork or charts that we make, etc. They like to revisit their previous work.
lovemydaycare0912 06:36 PM 05-18-2016
I have the ABC border on one of my walls. I also have shapes. The color ones have different animals to match the color. I have a Dr.Seuss 1-20 one. I have paper kids and animals hanging from my ceiling. I have the kids artworks that I rotate on another wall. I have a chalkboard wall as well. It's more so for when parents interview. Kids don't pay attention and 1/2 or 3/4 of my parents don't come inside anymore lol.
Boymom 06:13 AM 05-19-2016
Thank you, everyone! I love the idea of having their pictures in frames and hanging their artwork!
Crazy8 06:18 AM 05-19-2016
My walls are pretty blank right now. But I have a few of the posters on the backs of cubbies/bookshelves. I had some posters where I bought 2 of the same ones, had them laminated and then cut the shapes/colors out of one and used velcro on the backs of the pieces so they became an interactive tool.
sleepinghart 06:27 AM 05-19-2016
~I have a map of the United States & a world map on my walls; I think it's important for children to get used to and know a little geography as soon as possible. I also have a world globe .
284878 06:54 AM 05-19-2016
I got more positive comments on my playroom by parents once I put up posters.
Blackcat31 07:50 AM 05-19-2016
Originally Posted by tomato:
Are wall posters really that important?
If any of the children noticed, they didn't comment.
YES! I believe they are important.

The kids may have noticed even if they didn't say anything. The more important thing here though is what did YOU say about them?

Posters are a great way to ignite a conversation about something. It's a great way to start an open ended discussion about "what do you think/see/feel about" etc.

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I have different kinds of posters up, but the dcks don't even pay attention to them anymore.
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I don't have any posters up, I find the kids ignore them.
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
Kids don't pay attention and 1/2 or 3/4 of my parents don't come inside anymore lol.
They may notice but not tell you or say anything to you.

If they aren't noticing then that is a clear message to you that what you do or don't have up is not supportive of your environment and that you may need to re-think what posters, sign and pictures you do display.

I read an article a while back about the importance of displaying photos, posters and art and how the kids glance at, study or look at the signs/posters hanging on the walls dozens of times during the day and that the images and actions depicted in the photos will spark memories, connections and imaginative thoughts and ideas within their brains so it is SUPER important to have things displayed (and rotated) on your walls.

(If I find the link I'll post it)
organicdclady 08:06 AM 05-19-2016
I agree black cat. My kids show their parents their art work hanging on the walls and will show off the rotating posters. The kids are excited about what theyre learning and will regularly walk up to a poster and Point of things they know like colors, faces, shapes, states, presidents, animals, etc.
My educational posters are there to engage the kids, not just to look nice. I think it helps engage parents to, when they have a visual of what we're working on they encourage the conversation at home. Not all of them are like that, but a few are and I think it's been a better tool than sending home art work or worksheets that get lost in the car.
Unregistered 07:35 PM 05-20-2016
I use Kids art work and I've gotten great posters from the dollar tree also. Besides posters I've also gotten small individual sets. Sets like shapes or colors.
Unregistered 07:57 PM 05-20-2016
Right now my posters are
Butterflies
Native trees
Native birds

I always have a poster of my current children, oldest at the top to youngest at the bottom, with theirs pictures, and their names.

Then I have some of their own art, some cards and postcards with sayings that I like, or children from around the world, or laminated pics from calendars (nature, children, Anne Geddes babies.)

Oh, and native birds are on a wall mural too. The mural was done by several of my old dcps.

I have a large dedicated childcare space so that makes it easy.
Unregistered 07:24 AM 05-21-2016
I am the unregistered directly above this message.

Meant to say that my posters reflect the toys that are out. Audubon birds, wooden bird houses, small tree cookies in the block area, silk leaves, butterfly finger puppets.
childcaremom 04:43 AM 06-04-2016
I have pictures of the dcks laminated and put those around the room. Also pictures of things that we love to do. The dcks love to check those out. I put their artwork around the room also. On one wall I have a large piece of fabric hung. I used to have a large nature mobile but took it down. Will be making another one of those. And then I have a wall hanging with pockets for them to add little things to.

I do have an ABC poster but it isn't up permanently. It is in the magnet area and gets used a lot with an older crew.
Unregistered 06:52 PM 06-04-2016
I have a lot of posters up, and I rotate them quite frequently.

If we are "studying bees", I put up one about bees. I just rotate depending on what we are working on that month. I have regular things that tie in to my calendar space. I have numbers up to 20, months of the year, days of the week. We go over those every day so kids see them whether they want to or not.

I have a couple of parent pleasers up, and the kids only notice those once in a while.

I like to put pictures of the kids up in a poster frame that they can move around the room, or I can move around the room. It's not tacked up on the wall, though.

I also have an exercise one on the wall with 5 kids doing different exercises. If the dck's are acting a little crazy, we will all come together and get our wiggles out with some exercise. The poster helps them see what to do, and know what to do next.
284878 05:36 AM 06-05-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I have pictures of the dcks laminated and put those around the room. Also pictures of things that we love to do. The dcks love to check those out. I put their artwork around the room also. On one wall I have a large piece of fabric hung. I used to have a large nature mobile but took it down. Will be making another one of those. And then I have a wall hanging with pockets for them to add little things to.

I do have an ABC poster but it isn't up permanently. It is in the magnet area and gets used a lot with an older crew.
What is the large fabric for?
Can you post a picture of wall hanging with pockets?
thrivingchildcarecom 09:48 AM 06-07-2016
Hey check out these colorful banners that you can use to decorate your space.
Tags:posters
Reply Up