Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Newbie!! License on the Way!!
AllDeezBabies 02:13 PM 11-01-2011
And I'm becoming more nervous by the day.

I'm in the city of Chicago and we are required to be inspected by the Cook County Fire Marshall and I passed.

I thought I had everything figured out but now that my license is enroute, I drew a blank. I have to advertise.................I thought about it but I didn't think about it. I was just chasing my dream. I planned everything carefully but I forgot this part.

How did you all go about getting customers? What advertising tactics did you use? Did you all use local schools? In what places did you take flyers? Where did you go for flyers? Cards?

I have a ton of questions...... Pwease help me....I'm excited, anxious, scared.....and rambling
Michael 03:05 PM 11-01-2011
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.
AllDeezBabies 03:19 PM 11-01-2011
Thank you kindly!!!
Sugar Magnolia 04:18 PM 11-02-2011
Welcome and congrats! I have found the best advertising is to make a website (try weebly.com) and get a window decal for the back of your car. Also magnets for the side of your car. Someone on the forum bought some cheap books and took them to pediatrician and write on the inside "compliments of _____ Daycare. Some here use craigslist, but....um I'm not a fan....creepy replies sometimes. Real estate signs by elementary schools could work, but only if your city allows them. Just a hint- don't waste your money on newspaper ads-USELESS and expensive. Good luck!! Have fun!!
AllDeezBabies 08:22 AM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Welcome and congrats! I have found the best advertising is to make a website (try weebly.com) and get a window decal for the back of your car. Also magnets for the side of your car. Someone on the forum bought some cheap books and took them to pediatrician and write on the inside "compliments of _____ Daycare. Some here use craigslist, but....um I'm not a fan....creepy replies sometimes. Real estate signs by elementary schools could work, but only if your city allows them. Just a hint- don't waste your money on newspaper ads-USELESS and expensive. Good luck!! Have fun!!
Thank you, thank you, and thank you again. I'm on the weebly.com site and it looks fun!!! I appreciate the suggestions. I'll be looking into them.
dEHmom 08:59 AM 11-09-2011
I'm not sure how it works there, but where I am in Canada, as soon as you're licensed, you get a waiting list of ALOT of people waiting for licensed daycares. You get to go through them, and look at the ages of the kids and whether they are looking for fulltime or partime, and you call them and let them know you have openings. And if anyone calls saying they are looking for someone in such and such an area, they refer them to you.

Congrats on the license! I just got officially approved yesterday, my license is in the mail too, and I open my doors Monday!
beachgrl 08:20 PM 11-10-2011
Congrats! I have car door magnets (will prolly be doing a decal for my back window too thanks to anprevious response), website, Facebook page. I also paid for the last month to be the only provider listed on a daycare website for this state but haven't gotten one call through that sight so will be canceling it soon. I have advertised on craigslist and gotten mostnof my calls from there.

I have also done a booth at a local craft fair and participated in out towns trunk or treat. I put business cards anywhere I notice I can, put flyers anywhere there is a board that let's people put stuff up. I got a large yard sign for out by the road and a couple smaller ones to put near the grocery store and in town.
AllDeezBabies 02:50 PM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
I'm not sure how it works there, but where I am in Canada, as soon as you're licensed, you get a waiting list of ALOT of people waiting for licensed daycares. You get to go through them, and look at the ages of the kids and whether they are looking for fulltime or partime, and you call them and let them know you have openings. And if anyone calls saying they are looking for someone in such and such an area, they refer them to you.

Congrats on the license! I just got officially approved yesterday, my license is in the mail too, and I open my doors Monday!
I really don't think we have that type of service in Illinois. That sounds great. We do have the child care referrals where we can register to be on a list. Parents looking for childcare in certain areas can request the list based on zipcode, area.
AllDeezBabies 02:52 PM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by beachgrl:
Congrats! I have car door magnets (will prolly be doing a decal for my back window too thanks to anprevious response), website, Facebook page. I also paid for the last month to be the only provider listed on a daycare website for this state but haven't gotten one call through that sight so will be canceling it soon. I have advertised on craigslist and gotten mostnof my calls from there.

I have also done a booth at a local craft fair and participated in out towns trunk or treat. I put business cards anywhere I notice I can, put flyers anywhere there is a board that let's people put stuff up. I got a large yard sign for out by the road and a couple smaller ones to put near the grocery store and in town.
Thank you!!!

I need to look into the car magnets. Can you believe I'm still waiting on them to send my license? I'm unable to operate my daycare until the physical license is in hand. I'm so ready to do this...
AllDeezBabies 06:05 PM 12-31-2011
I received it right before Christmas. What a great Christmas present, right?
Blackcat31 08:00 AM 01-01-2012
Congratulations and good luck! This job is a different adventure everyday!
AllDeezBabies 07:54 AM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Congratulations and good luck! This job is a different adventure everyday!
Thank you Blackcat. I'm so ready for the adventure. I read the stories provided on here and I'm elated.
lil angels 09:22 AM 01-03-2012
I print out my fliers myself but a found a great place called vista print online. And you can get everything for magnets to stationary and business cards and yard signs I put in an order and I get emails often for free items I just have to pay shipping. Good luck.
Fruitloops1 04:08 PM 01-03-2012
JayChanel, how long did it take from the moment you turned in your app to DCFS for them to assign a rep to you?

Try leaving some fliers at your local church. Have you told anyone yet? Tell as many people as you can, word of mouth spreads quick
AllDeezBabies 05:12 PM 01-10-2012
When I first submitted the form to request additional information they sent me the application and included was a cover letter telling me who my rep was and to contact her with any concerns.

I've told tons of people.
AllDeezBabies 05:13 PM 01-10-2012
Originally Posted by lil angels:
I print out my fliers myself but a found a great place called vista print online. And you can get everything for magnets to stationary and business cards and yard signs I put in an order and I get emails often for free items I just have to pay shipping. Good luck.
I just found out about vistaprint in October. I'm using them for business cards too.
My Daycare 06:33 AM 01-11-2012
Care.com & sittercity.com. In your area sittercity has more traffic, but I always get lost in it and don't get many calls because It has a lot of sitters/daycares. I get most of my calls from Care.com. The more you log in the higher you will be on a search for both sites.

Good Luck!
AllDeezBabies 07:59 AM 01-13-2012
I'm registered at care.com and check everyday. I haven't got any leads as of yet. I have a few clients that have called me from craigslist.org. I'll have to try sittercity.com
Tags:chicago, illinois
Reply Up