Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Naps??
daycare 02:59 PM 07-01-2013
I usually only have DCK ages 2 and up. Well I decided to take a DCK that is 16 months. DCP say DCK takes one nap a day.

Since I have had the child in the last month, I am noticing that the child often falls asleep at the meal table around 11:30-12:00. Sometimes DCK will jjust go lay down on the floor and look like they are going to pass out around 1030am. They arrive at 7:25am......We nap from 1-330. DCK will always sleep longer than everyone else, even if they feel asleep early.

I have also noticed that this child has been sick quite a bit since they started here, but I know this is often normal for a new child. THe child also mouths everything, so I know that this is another factor.

I really don't want to nap the child 2x a day, but it just seems like they need two naps...Often when DCK falls asleep in the highchair, I get them up so that I can keep them on routine with the rest of the kids...

would you have them nap 2x?? I have no clue what time this child goes to bed at night. parents tell me 9pm...
spud912 03:25 PM 07-01-2013
I started a dcb a couple of years ago who was 13 months old. Like you, I take the older children aged 2-5, but the fact that he was only on one nap a day and was great at self-feeding, I decided to start him. Our nap is from 1 to 3/3:30ish and his at home was closer to 12 pm. The first few weeks, he would fall asleep on occasion during lunch time and the time around it, but eventually he was able to stay awake. I did put him to sleep before everyone else almost immediately after lunch. Usually there is a 30 minute block of time for going potty/brushing teeth, reading stories, but he skipped it all at first. To this day, there are still occasional days that he konks out at lunch .

As far as mouthing things, my dcb was terrible at first! I even caught him eating dirt outside on a few occasions...it used to drive me bonkers. Just like the sleep, he eventually got out of that stage. It was frustrating at the time, but it slowly became a non-issue to the point at which I was wondering at what point it stopped . I did have to section him off from our sensory bin in the beginning too, for this very reason.
daycare 03:38 PM 07-01-2013
I am sure that he will eventually catch on. it has been about two months. I am just wondering if I should keep things the way that they are or let him take two naps????
Crystal 05:11 PM 07-01-2013
I'd put him down for a short nap around 8:30. Then again at 1:00
Heidi 06:16 PM 07-01-2013
If he's going to sleep at 9:00 and arriving at your house at 7:30, then a 2 hour nap once a day is probably not enough sleep for the little guy. He needs 14hours of sleep in a 24 hour period.

They probably have him up by 6:30, so he's getting 10.5 hours at night, and 2.5 hours at nap time, so an hour nap from 8:30-9:30 or 9:00-10:00 would probably help the little guy tremendously.

This would be a great time to do an activity that he's too young for.

I remember when my son was that age (he's 23), just between that one nap and two nap stage. He fell asleep in his spaghetti bowl one time. Quite a sight!
Meyou 02:28 AM 07-02-2013
I do morning naps until about 18 months. Even 30 minutes can refresh a little one enough to make it to lunchtime happy.
wdmmom 07:59 AM 07-02-2013
Does he eat breakfast before he comes to your house or do you feed him?

If he eats at home, I would put him to bed upon drop off for an hour to an hour and a half.

If you have to feed him, I'd feed him right upon arrival and put him right down for an hour nap.
daycare 08:05 AM 07-02-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Does he eat breakfast before he comes to your house or do you feed him?

If he eats at home, I would put him to bed upon drop off for an hour to an hour and a half.

If you have to feed him, I'd feed him right upon arrival and put him right down for an hour nap.
so interesting enough, we found out that the child is suffering from some kind of illness.......DCP have not given me full details yet. Child has been out this week so far and said that once they hear back from the doc later today they will keep me posted....

I knew something was up.....
AmyKidsCo 04:20 PM 07-02-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I'd put him down for a short nap around 8:30. Then again at 1:00
ITA. I had a girl who napped 8-9 every morning, then 1-3 every afternoon, until she was 2. She arrived at 6:45 so she needed the morning nap.
momma2girls 12:29 PM 07-29-2013
I do 2 naps, am and afternoon to 18m-2 yrs. Some even after 18 months, cannot go without their first nap.
Reply Up