Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This for Real?!
organicdclady 08:41 PM 12-08-2015
I did a quick search on Google "why kids get sick at daycare" trying to find an article to post on my Facebook page. With flu season in full swing I was looking for something to ease parents frustration with sickness and hoping to find some proactive ways to keep sickness down. Well I stumbled across this article. mom.me/parenting/3916-how-drop-yolur-sick-kid-daycare/
I am so sickened. I don't know when this article was written or if the author was actually serious. But wth!!! This is why kids are sick. Parents who do this would have to be worrying about finding a new daycare if they pulled that crap here!! I don't know why I let it bother me so much but I know this is exactly how some parents feel.
Laurel 04:05 AM 12-09-2015
Originally Posted by organicdclady:
I did a quick search on Google "why kids get sick at daycare" trying to find an article to post on my Facebook page. With flu season in full swing I was looking for something to ease parents frustration with sickness and hoping to find some proactive ways to keep sickness down. Well I stumbled across this article. mom.me/parenting/3916-how-drop-yolur-sick-kid-daycare/
I am so sickened. I don't know when this article was written or if the author was actually serious. But wth!!! This is why kids are sick. Parents who do this would have to be worrying about finding a new daycare if they pulled that crap here!! I don't know why I let it bother me so much but I know this is exactly how some parents feel.
If you click on the link at the end of the article, it takes you here. http://shttymom.com/

It's a humor book about bad moments parents have apparently.
childcaremom 04:14 AM 12-09-2015
Hm. i've had a few parents that used this as a guideline apparently. Key word: 'had'
Play Care 05:13 AM 12-09-2015
One of the things I learned to do very quickly once I started day care was to avoid parenting forums

On there they think we work for them, we're their employees, we should do as they say, keep sick kids, not take days off, not care if they are neglecting their kids, etc etc etc

If you were to get your advice from them you would burn out quickly.

While I think the author was attempting to be humorous, the sad fact is many parents neglect their kids health because "we have to get to work!" And "we pay you to take care of them!" And truly believe that if they are paying day care then once the kids get dumped there then they are "free" of parental responsibility. And I agree there's not much humor in that.
auntymimi 11:41 AM 12-09-2015
Sh!tty mom is right! This site is actually pretty funny. Sad thing is, many parents truly feel this way.
Blackcat31 12:30 PM 12-09-2015
We've had this come up on the forum before.
(https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...p+sick+daycare)

My friend wrote a great reply in her blog. Here is her response:

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
"I was engaging in my usual browsing of the Internet this morning over my first cup of coffee when I came across this:

How To Drop Your Sick Kid At Daycare

(please do not forget to click page "two" on that article and read the helpful list of exact methods of skirting parental responsibility while dumping your sick kid in the care of others)

I realize this article is perhaps intended to be satirical but it seems to exhibit a sense of seriousness as well. I am having a hard time actually believing in its acrimoniousness.

What can I say? I could say I was appalled but that would be a lie. It is hard to use the word appalled when you honesty aren't surprised that a parent would actually knowingly dump their sick child in daycare. So, I will have to use the word dismay to describe the feeling I got while reading this. Dismay at the thought of a sick child being forced into a group environment when all they really want is their own bed and their warm, soft mommy or daddy. Dismay at the thought of every other child in close proximity to the sick child suffering the same fate a few days later. And, last but not least, dismay with the fact that the providers(s) will most likely suffer the same fate, and, if a home daycare provider, likely work while sick as a dog as to not inconvenience the very parent who selfishly caused the rampant virus spreading in the first place.

Most daycare providers I know have policies in place that boldly and clearly state that a child can not attend while ill. Knowingly sending a sick child to daycare will likely get you terminated from care. Yes, that's right, I said terminated from care. Too harsh? I think not! Our responsibility is to ALL the children in our care and that includes protecting them from selfish, inconsiderate parents who think nothing of infecting everyone because they are too all-important to stay home and tend to their own sick child.

I would love to address the list of so called "nuts and bolts" to dropping off your sick kid at daycare. Let's do that right now.

1. Daycare providers know. Yes, we KNOW when your child was dropped off sick. It is one of our numerous omnipotent powers.

2. Don't even think of medicating to mask a fever and then run and drop. When your kid spikes a fever suddenly at 11am we KNOW that it's because the medication just wore off. The gig is up.

3. If you decide to not answer your phone we will start to call your emergency contacts. When they can not be contacted we WILL call Children's Aid or Protective Services. Not being available for your child when called is considered abandonment.

4. If we actually get you on the phone because you were "considerate" enough to actually answer don't even think about stalling and not picking up until an hour before the day is over; it won't cut it. This is not our first rodeo.

5. ALL of the above WILL result in immediate termination of services. Just consider us 'doing it for America or Canada' and all the other innocent, well-children who don't want to be contaminated by your self-righteous selfishness.

And to all those parents who would never think of so selfishly dumping your sick child in daycare - thank you. YOU are the people who make us want to get up every day and continue to serve your children."

~ This was written by a good friend of mine. She is no longer a provider but I thought she had a great rebuttal to sh1tty mom's idea of humor.

Michael 12:37 PM 12-09-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
One of the things I learned to do very quickly once I started day care was to avoid parenting forums(
Its one of the reasons we don't get a lot of parents on the Parents and Guardians category.

Many see it negatively as Us and Them.
auntymimi 12:44 PM 12-09-2015
Originally Posted by auntymimi:
Sh!tty mom is right! This site is actually pretty funny. Sad thing is, many parents truly feel this way.
I mean if you would do this, you are a sh!tty mom, not that she's correct. Dang inter web, so easy to be taken out of context!
Tags:sickness
Reply Up