Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Kids Friends Coming Over During Business Hours
Lovisa 05:05 PM 07-01-2016
I'm sure this has been discussed but I couldn't find anything (although my search skills ARE lacking lol). My kids (my OWN kids, not daycare kiddos) are home for summer vacation. We live in the kind of neighborhood where they have friends all over that they play with who live right near our home. They run all over and play during the day at friends houses, and they have friends who would like to come here to hang out as well. More specifically, one kiddo 2 doors down from me. Up until I got licensed over a year ago, one of my kids' friends was here almost as much as she was at home (same for my kids at her house). They are besties

What are the rules on my kids having their friend over during daycare hours? My kids are older (8, 10 and 12) so only 1 of them count towards my capacity for licensing. The friend in question is also old enough that she wouldn't be counted either. I also have a very light load over the summer so being over my limit is never a problem.

Can my kids have a friend over during the day? All they wanna do is hang out in their rooms and play minecraft lol. It is SO hot outside that kicking them out to play kinda sucks right now.

Any help is appreciated!

ps. I'm in Ca
organicdclady 05:33 PM 07-01-2016
I'm in CA also. My analyst told me that my son can have friends over during the day as long as they are over 10 and can get home on their own. Meaning they can walk there and are allowed to be home alone, and you can't be getting compensated for them being there because you're not supposed to be "watching" them.
Controlled Chaos 05:34 PM 07-01-2016
I would have the parent of the kid fill out an admission form and medical release (that's the paperwork my state requires) to have on file and then as long as you are within ratio I can't imagine there being a problem. Hopefully someone from Cali will chime in
Play Care 06:20 AM 07-02-2016
Until my kids friends were 13 and aged out of DC, they couldn't be on my property. And once they are 13+ you have to be able to prove that you are not "watching" them or that your attention is away from DC. The only exception to the age rule is if my husband were home, they could have friends over regardless of age, but the regs say that he has to be on property and clearly avalible for supervision (i.e. He can't be out mowing the lawn while I'm the one with the kids ) If my kids were off riding bikes off my property or playing in the neighbors yard, that would be okay.

But this is why we sign our own kids (who are 10 and 11) up for camps during the summer. They get to see their friends and have fun, and I don't have to worry about licensing showing up and getting a ding for supervision. I am off every Friday in July and August so those are their days to have friends over here. I never wanted to set the precedent that neighborhood kids/ friends could "hang" here because I am home - I'm working and my primary focus is the day care.
AmyKidsCo 11:52 AM 07-03-2016
Check CA licensing rules. In WI we can have friends over as long as they can go home immediately if they need to.
sharlan 02:59 PM 07-04-2016
Originally Posted by organicdclady:
I'm in CA also. My analyst told me that my son can have friends over during the day as long as they are over 10 and can get home on their own. Meaning they can walk there and are allowed to be home alone, and you can't be getting compensated for them being there because you're not supposed to be "watching" them.
This is what I was told
daycarediva 11:01 AM 07-05-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Until my kids friends were 13 and aged out of DC, they couldn't be on my property. And once they are 13+ you have to be able to prove that you are not "watching" them or that your attention is away from DC. The only exception to the age rule is if my husband were home, they could have friends over regardless of age, but the regs say that he has to be on property and clearly avalible for supervision (i.e. He can't be out mowing the lawn while I'm the one with the kids ) If my kids were off riding bikes off my property or playing in the neighbors yard, that would be okay.

But this is why we sign our own kids (who are 10 and 11) up for camps during the summer. They get to see their friends and have fun, and I don't have to worry about licensing showing up and getting a ding for supervision. I am off every Friday in July and August so those are their days to have friends over here. I never wanted to set the precedent that neighborhood kids/ friends could "hang" here because I am home - I'm working and my primary focus is the day care.
Same. Same state, same regs, same solution (except the Friday's off part. JEALOUS!)
LindseyA 06:30 AM 07-06-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Same. Same state, same regs, same solution (except the Friday's off part. JEALOUS!)
Same!!
Lovisa 02:23 PM 07-06-2016
Thanks everyone for your input!

I went ahead and emailed my analyst just to be sure. She got back to me today and said it is perfectly fine as long as my kids friends can go home on their own whenever needed. So we're good!
Michael 10:40 PM 07-07-2016
Originally Posted by Lovisa:
I'm sure this has been discussed but I couldn't find anything (although my search skills ARE lacking lol).
Try the TAG Search

Here are some similar threads on Friend's Children.
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...d%27s+children
Tags:friend's children
Reply Up