Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What have you neglected?
MissAnn 04:25 AM 01-12-2018
OK...I will fess up first. One thing I have neglected this year to teach is birthdays. It started out that I just kind of forgot. I think today we will start....but part of me is just being a little rebellious. I noticed that none of my kids know their birthdays! None! I just keep thinking.....can't parent's teach them about the most important day of their lives? How can a kid be 5 and not know when his birthday is??????

OK, I confessed. Now it's your turn.
Cat Herder 04:46 AM 01-12-2018
I had to think for a minute. I have not taught this group bundle of sticks, yet. I usually do that in September. I may have forgotten stone soup, too. I have to look back in my book. This group is so laid back that citizenship takes a backseat to emergent science often.
MissAnn 04:49 AM 01-12-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I had to think for a minute. I have not taught this group bundle of sticks, yet. I usually do that in September. I may have forgotten stone soup, too. I have to look back in my book. This group is so laid back that citizenship takes a backseat to emergent science often.
I guess I've neglected bundle of sticks too.....because I don't know what that is!
Cat Herder 05:02 AM 01-12-2018
One of my favorites

You hand each child a twig, tell them to break it in half and lay it on the rug in front of them. You then hand each child another twig, then have them bundle them up together with twine. Have the kids pass the bundle around and try to break it. They can't. (if you have strong kids use dried twigs then greenstick for effect)

We are stronger when we work together.
Blackcat31 06:00 AM 01-12-2018
Fun. We've neglected fun this last year.
Between QRIS responsibilities, re-licensing, state changes, new paperwork requirements and a plethora of other silly regulation happening we've neglected to have as much fun as we used to have.
Sadly I see this trend getting worse not better.
Annalee 06:01 AM 01-12-2018
Not sure about the neglecting anything, but I feel the kids today do not "retain" things because they don't use their brains enough. Forget that I grew up without all the technology but I also grew up WITH responsibility/expectations/consequences. I am finding kids today start all over in my program every morning because too many homes are "chaos". It is becoming challenging to get one child, much less a group, to focus long enough to learn and the "retaining" just goes out the window. Just my rant for the morning.
Cat Herder 06:11 AM 01-12-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Between QRIS responsibilities, re-licensing, state changes, new paperwork requirements and a plethora of other silly regulation happening we've neglected to have as much fun as we used to have.
Get out of my head.

I was (figuratively) biting my tongue to not post that, deleted part of it. Trying to stay positive this morning. It is raining, foggy, dark and muggy. And my running notes and observations have to be uploaded today. I want to write about 4yo digging in his nose, with left hand, for the full 10 minutes, but I should chose something else, I guess.
Annalee 06:13 AM 01-12-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
YEP, that, too!
Reply Up