Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Developmental Delays
wdmmom 10:19 AM 09-19-2011
I have a DCB (just turned 1 this past weekend) that I have had since he was 6 months old. When he started with me, he could roll back to belly and belly to back but that's it. Fast forward 6 months. This child still isn't crawling, sitting, pulling himself up, walking, anything! I seriously think this child is developmentally delayed and should see a physical therapist. The only thing he does is holds his own bottle and will feed himself cheerios.

I have looked at the growth chart and the milestones that this child should be at or near and developmentally he's still at 6 months of age.

He can not sit up on his own, he scoots across the floor...not even an army crawl kind of scoot, like he's kicking off with 1 leg kind of scoot, we try to hold his hands or his body to get him to stand and he's on his tip toes and curls his feet.

DCM doesn't seem the least bit concerned and calls it laziness. Should I be this concerned?!
SilverSabre25 10:30 AM 09-19-2011
The one that concerns me is that he doesn't sit up on his own yet.

Hopefully, this will all be very apparent at his 12-month appointment and the doctor will get mom to have an evaluation.

In the meantime, you can continue doing whatever you can to help him develop those skills (sitting being the chief one at the moment probably).
cheerfuldom 10:35 AM 09-19-2011
has he had his 12 month checkup?
wdmmom 11:06 AM 09-19-2011
His appointment isn't until next month. He's about a month behind on shots so they said to postpone his appointment a month.

Even at his 9 month check he wasn't doing much of anything. I think DCM is fibbing and sugar coating his abilities to the doctor and telling him he can sit...which he can for a few seconds at a time but I doubt she's disclosing that. He can't get in the sitting position by himself nor does he sit for longer than 15 seconds.
cheerfuldom 01:33 PM 09-19-2011
There is nothing you can do if mom is not concerned enough to even talk to her doctor about it. If she is lying to her doctor, then she doesn't care enough right now to be open to a frank discussion with you. Just see what happens at the checkup and go from there. Hopefully she is honest and/or the doctor notices the delays. This exact thing happened to me. Mom was lying to the doctor and to me (find out about ALL of that much later). However, after the little one was not standing unassisted at 18 months, she finally got the child the therapy needed.
Tags:developmentally delayed
Reply Up