Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Impossible Outings To The Park With 20 Months Old...
jenny31052 12:13 PM 03-26-2012
I guess today it is Monday!!!

Well, here where I live is getting hot during the day, so I started to take the kids outside mid-morning, instead that after naptime.

This one little girl is usually already gone when we go out, but she is here during the new morning outings. I do not use my backyard for childcar because it is small, and our 3 big dogs have taken over the space, so I walk literally across the street to a beautiful park that has about 2 acres of perfectly trimmed lawn, and a beautiful playground, where the kids LOVE to play ball, run, and just be silly...
For me and them, it is just (or was) a nice, relaxing, fun time...

Now this one girl doesn't play with others; I bring toys for her (balls, push and ride toys etc..) because I realized that they only thing she wants to do is just running away...

If I ask her to come back because she is going to far, she stops, looks at me, and then keeps running away, like a puppy off the leash, that won't come when you call... one day I waited before going after her, to see how far she would go before stopping and coming back... she just keeps going... never once she looks back to see where we are...

It's either, I physically keep her close to me, by keep holding her hand, or by leaving her in a stroller for the whole time, or we don't go out... if I keep her by me, by holding her hand, she scream, and cry, and throw herself on the ground.

I'm now dreading this time outiside... I'm constantly running, I mean running, after her...
itlw8 12:21 PM 03-26-2012
guess you can't put her on a long dog lead... LOL or take a super size play yard

So the park is not fenced??? I would say just keep walking and go where she goes so you are always a few feet away. Play stop go. and praise when she does it. Then when you need her to stop she will

my grandson we found if we need him to stop for safely I yell SIT and he does.
daycare 12:27 PM 03-26-2012
i do two things... I would put her in the stoller when she tried to run away. I trained my 19 month old like this. Then I would have her come out and play with you. When she gets more than 3 arms reach, I would tell her SIT or STOP. if she does not, then I would pick her up and put her in the stroller.

never let the child get further away than 3 arms... You don't want them too far away from you should they decide not to stop...
Meeko 12:35 PM 03-26-2012
I WOULD tether her!

Lots on the market to chose from. There have been discussions on here about who likes them and who doesn't...but I think it would be perfect for your situation. She could still wander about and yet not get too far. Both she AND the other kids would be safer (because you wouldn't have to turn your back on the other kids to chase her.) And she would have more fun than just sitting beside you the whole time. (She should sit beside you if she fussed about the tether.)

It's not unfair or abusive to control a child. Let's face it, we put them in "cages" (cribs/playpens) for their safety. We "tie them up" in carseats......It's OK to "leash" them too!

Other than that....don't take her to the park. Even keeping her right by you is not the best scenario. She is a liability. Who is watching the other kids if you have to chase her? What happens if another child gets a scraped knee for instance? She could take off while you are tending the other child.
Heidi 12:46 PM 03-26-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I WOULD tether her!

Lots on the market to chose from. There have been discussions on here about who likes them and who doesn't...but I think it would be perfect for your situation. She could still wander about and yet not get too far. Both she AND the other kids would be safer (because you wouldn't have to turn your back on the other kids to chase her.) And she would have more fun than just sitting beside you the whole time. (She should sit beside you if she fussed about the tether.)

It's not unfair or abusive to control a child. Let's face it, we put them in "cages" (cribs/playpens) for their safety. We "tie them up" in carseats......It's OK to "leash" them too!

Other than that....don't take her to the park. Even keeping her right by you is not the best scenario. She is a liability. Who is watching the other kids if you have to chase her? What happens if another child gets a scraped knee for instance? She could take off while you are tending the other child.

I agree...a harness would keep her close, allow you to supervise the others as well. She may still fuss, but oh well!
nannyde 12:47 PM 03-26-2012
Time to purchase a "tot-a-long" Google them they are great.
MrsB 01:01 PM 03-26-2012
I got the buddy tethers for like 2.60 a piece with free super savers shipping on Amazon a couple weeks ago. I needed them for our trips to the bus stop.
Bella99 01:06 PM 03-26-2012
Can you make a game out of it, and let her run after YOU? Kind of like tag.
Sunchimes 01:17 PM 03-26-2012
I'm another one for a tether. I made my dck really cute vests with a ribbon lead. They like to wear them and we all feel much, much better.
Reply Up