Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interview without the baby vs. with the baby
DaisyMamma 07:23 AM 01-04-2013
Wow. I just learned a valuable lesson, so I wanted to share.
Yesterday mom came without the baby during nap. I loved her, was ready to enroll her. Even gave her paperwork.
We decided she should come by with the baby while the kids are awake.
She was so overprotective I couldn't wait for her to leave! I'm so glad she didn't ask to leave a check!
PolkaTots 08:32 AM 01-04-2013
I always require the child accompany the parent on the first interview (unless they are pregnant) since I am interviewing them as much as they are interviewing me. I have had a few parents come without children for an interview, but I always make them come back with their child for a second interview before I will offer enrollment.
littlemissmuffet 08:39 AM 01-04-2013
I would never ever do an interview without the child present... it is very important for me to meet the child, see how they behave, see how parents handle the child, how the child deals with the parents, etc.
I would like to think that parents want to see me interacting with their child during the interview as well...

Glad you realized this is an important part of the interviewing process!
DaisyMamma 08:45 AM 01-04-2013
To be honest I was shocked that she didn't bring the baby.
KEG123 08:50 AM 01-04-2013
Child present, AFTER hours. No matter if it was during nap or not, AFTER HOURS INTERVIEWS ONLY!!
DaisyMamma 08:52 AM 01-04-2013
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Child present, AFTER hours. No matter if it was during nap or not, AFTER HOURS INTERVIEWS ONLY!!
How come you do it after hours?
Just curious because to me that's a waste of my personal time. LOL. I'd rather do it "on the clock"
Binkybobo 09:07 AM 01-04-2013
Originally Posted by PolkaTots:
I always require the child accompany the parent on the first interview (unless they are pregnant) since I am interviewing them as much as they are interviewing me. I have had a few parents come without children for an interview, but I always make them come back with their child for a second interview before I will offer enrollment.
I had to learn this the hard way. I have only had 2 intrviews without the child present. Both of these children tore my house apart on their first day, hit other kids, didn't listen etc.. Both are no longer in my care. The parents most likely knew that I would not accept them into my daycare had I met them beforehand. I also do after hour interviews. Always have. My main reason is that i will not be able to supervise my regular dcks during an interview. Kids tend to need to talk to you and get into things when your attention is elsewhere. I figured it would make me look bad? Also I don'tl liek to stray away from my preschool schedule.
blandino 09:17 AM 01-04-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
Just curious because to me that's a waste of my personal time. LOL. I'd rather do it "on the clock"
We do after hours also. Mostly so we can speak with the parents without distraction, and also observe the prospective child without distraction. Also as a safety measure, I don't allow strangers in the home while children are here. We allow parents to schedule a second interview during daycare hours AFTER we have met with them initially.

Also, my daycare kids tend to behave like the prospective parents/child are a shiny new toy - and want all their attention and use attention seeking behavior.
itlw8 11:07 AM 01-04-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I only do after hours also. one I can talk to the parents 2 if I am talking to adults my eyes are not on the children as they should be. 3 the children act up with new people here

and most important it is for the protection of my current children and dh is home in the evening with strangers coming into the house.
AnneCordelia 11:22 AM 01-04-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
We do after hours also. Mostly so we can speak with the parents without distraction, and also observe the prospective child without distraction. Also as a safety measure, I don't allow strangers in the home while children are here. We allow parents to schedule a second interview during daycare hours AFTER we have met with them initially.

Also, my daycare kids tend to behave like the prospective parents/child are a shiny new toy - and want all their attention and use attention seeking behavior.
This is how and why I do things too.
cheerfuldom 11:42 AM 01-04-2013
I dont allow strangers around my own kids or my current daycare kids. all interviews are after hours and the child must be present.
Blackcat31 11:43 AM 01-04-2013
I do ALL interviewing during daycare hours. I would never give up my personal time to do something work related (other than shopping for supplies).

I also require a minimum of two interviews. One WITHOUT the child and one WITH the child.

The one without is for the parents and I to talk and go over rules and policies as well as get a chance to get to know each other. This is usually easier to do with out the child present.

The interview done with the child present is to see how the parents are with their own child, see how the child is with the other children and for me to get to know the child too.

My other DCK's are all wonderfully behaved when someone else is here as they are pretty used to other adults coming into the house for other activities and such.

I am also lucky enough to live in an area where there is usually less than 6 degrees of separation from one person to the next so I don't really have to ever really give much concern to strangers, weird-o's and other unsavory people around my DCK's. Besides, I haven't had a new client that wasn't referred to me by someone I already had in care.
Reply Up