I know our rates vary so here is a break down of mine:
Infant ft: $35 per day
Pre school pt: $35 per day
Pre school ft: $30 per day
School age full day: $25
School age half day: $20
School age b/a (2.5 hrs) : $12
School age b or a (1 hr ): $10

I have a long term family and mom has just gotten a new job. She was four days per week pu at 4:30 but is going to be five days per week pu 5:30. I close at 5:30. On Fridays I need to keep her SA kids (kind and 5th) until 6 pm
Terming them isn't an option...
What would you charge for Fridays? I want to be fair to both of us...
Thanks!!
Play Care 03:46 AM 07-30-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I know our rates vary so here is a break down of mine:
Infant ft: $35 per day
Pre school pt: $35 per day
Pre school ft: $30 per day
School age full day: $25
School age half day: $20
School age b/a (2.5 hrs) : $12
School age b or a (1 hr ): $10

I have a long term family and mom has just gotten a new job. She was four days per week pu at 4:30 but is going to be five days per week pu 5:30. I close at 5:30. On Fridays I need to keep her SA kids (kind and 5th) until 6 pm
Terming them isn't an option...
What would you charge for Fridays? I want to be fair to both of us...
Thanks!!
My overtime rate is $12 per 1/2 hour after closing. But I close at 4:45 so that would be and extra $36 for the one night. Honestly, you need to make this worth your while and not worry about being fair to mom. Why would she take a new job with those hours knowing you close at 5:30?
AnneCordelia 04:49 AM 07-30-2013
Can I ask why terming isnt an option? I will be honest...6pm is late and will feel super late especially on a Friday. I want to see you set yourself up for success and I know that for me extending my hours on fridays would be killer. I make $19/hour with a full house during regular business hours and would not stay open past my regular hours especially on every friday for any less than that or resentment will set in. It would effect my life on friday more than any other day due to weekend excursions, date night, bday parties my own kids attend etc.
Familycare71 05:15 AM 07-30-2013
I said I would do it... She asked before she took the new job.
I am a bit worried about the extra half hour wearing on me but this will give me one extra day of payment and extra $ on fri- if we have plans (we rarely do) grandparents are available to pick up at 5:30.
Because the kids are older it can be relaxed- I've had them for 7 years and can't imagine not having this family. Plus we can use the extra $...
Unregistered 05:47 AM 07-30-2013
I charge $20 per hour after hours. That would be $45 per day on Fridays/per kid. I had a kid (for a few weeks) whose mom knew that the kid MUST be out of here by 5:15 (she signed an acknowledgement in her contract). We just couldn't get her out of here on time. Mom didn't mind paying my late fee at all-it was no deterrent, but it certainly wasn't enough to make it worth being "open" late. The other kid (high maintenance) was around while I was cooking for and feeding my own family, and it would throw the whole night off schedule. Kid was always gone by 6, but it was not worth it to me. You need to make sure it's worth it to YOU.
Familycare71 05:54 AM 07-30-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I charge $20 per hour after hours. That would be $45 per day on Fridays/per kid. I had a kid (for a few weeks) whose mom knew that the kid MUST be out of here by 5:15 (she signed an acknowledgement in her contract). We just couldn't get her out of here on time. Mom didn't mind paying my late fee at all-it was no deterrent, but it certainly wasn't enough to make it worth being "open" late. The other kid (high maintenance) was around while I was cooking for and feeding my own family, and it would throw the whole night off schedule. Kid was always gone by 6, but it was not worth it to me. You need to make sure it's worth it to YOU.
Yes- I agree... But the thing is I agreed. So I don't want to wallop her but also want it to be worth it.
The thing I'm most frustrated about is working an extra hour m-th for no increase! I think i will restructure my payments like others on here with a lower price for earlier pu...
Unregistered 06:49 AM 07-30-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
Yes- I agree... But the thing is I agreed. So I don't want to wallop her but also want it to be worth it.
The thing I'm most frustrated about is working an extra hour m-th for no increase! I think i will restructure my payments like others on here with a lower price for earlier pu...
You must increase for the extra hour M-T! Do you think that the MOM is not getting paid for that extra hour? She should expect to pay YOU for it, as well. I am guessing that you feel guilty for asking to be paid for your time. Be assured, MOM wouldn't work that extra hour for free, and you shouldn't either. ADD IT ON, and make sure that Friday is worth your time to prevent resentment and stress.
Blackcat31 06:58 AM 07-30-2013
There is one thing I have learned over the years....there is no amount of money that would make me want to work later than I already do.

I understand that the mother's job changed but why is it the provider who has to make the exception?

If this family has been with you for 7 years, why wouldn't they respect you and value you enough to not ask you to do something above and beyond what you already provide for them?

IMHO, that tells me they take you for granted and what they should have done was exhaust EVERY effort to make arrangements for pick up (through a family member/friend) before ever considering asking you to work longer....

If you agreed ahead of time, I suppose you are stuck doing it now but I would certainly not hesitate to charge accordingly...you are going above and beyond so the rate should reflect that.

IF I ever considered working over time, I would never charge less than 1.5 times my regular rate.
Childminder 07:21 AM 07-30-2013
I have no problem working overtime, but that is me. I charge an hourly rate for overtime at the rate of 1.5 times the regular rate which would be $6 instead of $4. I don't charge different rates for different ages and charge a $35 a day rate across the board with overtime rates applied as needed.
Familycare71 07:37 AM 07-30-2013
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I have no problem working overtime, but that is me. I charge an hourly rate for overtime at the rate of 1.5 times the regular rate which would be $6 instead of $4. I don't charge different rates for different ages and charge a $35 a day rate across the board with overtime rates applied as needed.
Ok- that makes sense to me... I was thinking $5 per kid extra on fri would work. Very rarely do I have somewhere to be on a fri pm so hopefully it won't effect much .
I do wish it hadnt ended up being a fri tho! Originally it was going to be thurs pms. Ah well
AnneCordelia 07:57 AM 07-30-2013
I have a family who needs a 6pm pickup but I close at 5pm. They had no problem finding a high school kid to pickup at 5 and bring the kids home. Just saying so you know there are options.
Reply Up