Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Ever Feel Like You Are Grouchy All Day?
mamamanda 09:43 AM 07-08-2014
I feel like I've had to use my firm voice almost constantly lately because I've had so many behavior issues. I really hate that. I want to be the fun daycare lady, but every time I try to join in play or just relax and enjoy the kids a particular 2 cause all sorts of chaos so it's back to a firm "get yourself in line," kwim? I didn't notice how true that is until we had a four day weekend. I honestly didn't realize what was so different at first, but I kept commenting to DH that I just felt so relaxed compared to normal. It's like I could actually breathe and enjoy my own child for the first time in forever. I was firm when I needed to be, but mostly I spoke to him in a cheerful voice, we played at the park and had fun, a lot of play and fun activities, and I felt good. Within 10 minutes of 2 particular dcks coming in today, I was shaky, heart pounding, felt my chest tighten up, and back to having to use a firm voice all.morning.long again. And of course my 3 y.o. who behaves pretty well when dcks are not here acts just like them when they are. Sometimes I feel so defeated.
Play Care 09:53 AM 07-08-2014
YES!! The last two summers I felt as though I were "yelling" all summer. I realized in my case I had a couple of kids who just were too big to be here. I've been making some big changes and already there is a HUGE difference this year. Yes, I have less kids for the summer, but I'm okay with that. It certainly beats me feeling like a big meanie
Unregistered 10:02 AM 07-08-2014
I think I scared someone walking by today, when I used a stern voice to say "STOP THAT!" to one of my kids who was about to push the other off the picnic bench.
Pretty sure it was an adult (couldn't tell through the fence) and pretty sure they jumped
Shell 10:03 AM 07-08-2014
Yes, this was me yesterday. I know what you are saying about being more laid back when it is just your own kids. I had such a lovely and long weekend with just my family, that I guess deep down I really wasn't looking forward to being back at work, back to kids messing up my house, and back to having to remind everyone of their manners and rules since they seem to have forgotten them. Ds was acting up in rare form yesterday as well, and I thought about how nice it would be if we could financially afford for me to only take care of my own kids...oh it is nice to dream.
Shell 10:04 AM 07-08-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think I scared someone walking by today, when I used a stern voice to say "STOP THAT!" to one of my kids who was about to push the other off the picnic bench.
Pretty sure it was an adult (couldn't tell through the fence) and pretty sure they jumped
That's an effective stern voice
Play Care 10:17 AM 07-08-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Several years ago one of my dcb went to bite another child on their FACE because I was right there I was able to intervene before he got a hold of him and I said so firmly "NO BITING! BITING HURTS!" That I scared myself

We've never had a biting issue here before, and we haven't since
KiddieCahoots 10:17 AM 07-08-2014
Oh heck yay I feel like the grouchy day care lady all day sometimes, and that's usually when I come here! Lol!

Reading everybody's similar struggles, talks me down.

I know it's not always doable, but less kids or less trouble makers helps me too. Right now, my pampered baby dictates our days. Today he's telling me.....it's another grouchy day care lady day. ........
Christina72684 10:19 AM 07-08-2014
I feel grouchy a lot too Like today I had the morning off to go workout which felt amazing. Then I get to the preschool and as soon as I walk in the door I have to say things like "Billy, don't put that toy in your mouth." or "Sarah, don't take toys from your friends".......and it was non-stop the first 15 minutes I was here. They weren't being super bad, but I was having to continually comment about things to get them to behave. And of course none of them wanted to nap yesterday or today which if they were laying down quietly I wouldn't care but they talk to themselves or move around a lot and it disrupts the ones that need to sleep, which drives me crazy.
Josiegirl 11:05 AM 07-08-2014
I admit my tolerance is low for a particular child in my daycare also. Everyone was getting ready to go outside so I ran in to use the bathroom real quick. While I was in there, I could hear 2 kids yelling at A### to stop that, don't do that....several times. So I came right out and looked him in the eye and said Go Sit Down. He gives me a rolling the eyes type look and mocks me. I ignore it because he sits. We wait a couple minutes, then I say you can get up now, let's go outside. 'I don't want to.' I repeat what I said. He repeats 'I don't want to.' I said 'WE ARE GOING OUT AND YOU JUST LOST WATER PLAY.' Not yelling really but he knew I meant business.
I detest disrespect from a 6 yo. And it constantly comes from him.
mamamanda 12:06 PM 07-08-2014
Thanks everyone. It makes me feel better just knowing I'm not the only one. Sometimes I feel so bad for my kids, but then I think if I worked a job away from home they would still be dealing with the same issues in someone else's home or daycare. At least I get to be with them. I guess sometimes we have to take the bad with the good.
melilley 12:15 PM 07-08-2014
I admit I have one here who is hard to tolerate also. He hasn't been here for half of last week or isn't going to be here all this week and it's made such a difference! He's only 2.5 (will be 3 in Sept.) and I keep hoping it's a phase, but he's been like this since he came here at 18 mo. My other dck's or my ds isn't like that, I can't even walk away for a min without someone yelling at the challenging dcb because he has done something. I feel like I'm always being stern and I don't like it either.
SignMeUp 12:19 PM 07-08-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I admit I have one here who is hard to tolerate also. He hasn't been here for half of last week or isn't going to be here all this week and it's made such a difference! He's only 2.5 (will be 3 in Sept.) and I keep hoping it's a phase, but he's been like this since he came here at 18 mo. My other dck's or my ds isn't like that, I can't even walk away for a min without someone yelling at the challenging dcb because he has done something. I feel like I'm always being stern and I don't like it either.
Oh my, I had/have this kid
Now mine will be four in the fall and he is such a different person.
Hang in there
Meeko 04:35 PM 07-08-2014
I think I have Oscar's DNA......
Josiegirl 02:27 AM 07-09-2014
Ugh, the dcb I mentioned in my reply yesterday, he had one helluva day yesterday. I hope he's better today. So YES I was super grouchy because of him, most of the day. Plus I kept thinking 'It's ONLY TUESDAY'.
Laurel 06:32 AM 07-09-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:

Laurel
KiddieCahoots 08:10 AM 07-09-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:

Ahhhhh....daycare forum humor, gotta love it!
daycarediva 09:53 AM 07-09-2014
I feel like I need to be stern most of the time. The constant reminders of rules that have NEVER CHANGED gets old. By Friday, I am super happy it's FRIDAY! I don't mean just with the kids, either.
jokalima 10:07 AM 07-09-2014
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I feel like I've had to use my firm voice almost constantly lately because I've had so many behavior issues. I really hate that. I want to be the fun daycare lady, but every time I try to join in play or just relax and enjoy the kids a particular 2 cause all sorts of chaos so it's back to a firm "get yourself in line," kwim? I didn't notice how true that is until we had a four day weekend. I honestly didn't realize what was so different at first, but I kept commenting to DH that I just felt so relaxed compared to normal. It's like I could actually breathe and enjoy my own child for the first time in forever. I was firm when I needed to be, but mostly I spoke to him in a cheerful voice, we played at the park and had fun, a lot of play and fun activities, and I felt good. Within 10 minutes of 2 particular dcks coming in today, I was shaky, heart pounding, felt my chest tighten up, and back to having to use a firm voice all.morning.long again. And of course my 3 y.o. who behaves pretty well when dcks are not here acts just like them when they are. Sometimes I feel so defeated.
Yes! I had a very long weekend and today all of them are back. It is just so stressful, I don't find it in me to do projects just to avoid more chaos so I am just letting them play for the summer. My own child is the worst one, during non dc hours he is very good, but when other kids are here he is just terrible and it drives me crazy. I had a very easy year , only 3 kids for most of the year since last September. It was heaven! Now for the summer I am full and can't wait for them to go back to school. I know something for sure, I won't be filling all my spaces during the fall. My own child just does better with less kids here.
Josiegirl 10:14 AM 07-09-2014
Another freakin' grouchy day in paradise. Wanna make somethin' out of it?

I swear none of my dcks tell me the truth anymore except the toddlers. And 3 yo dcg tries to boss every one around, is sassy, and has started hitting in frustration. Her 6 yo brother lies all the time and instigates almost everything.

Of course, I'm merely venting cause I can't exactly tell dcm all this. Especially since dcb's mom says he's very honest at home.
WImom 01:09 PM 07-09-2014
I had/have three, one left at beginning of summer, one leaves in a week, and then one not until school starts. With each one leaving though I feel a grouchy weight lifted off!!
KiddieCahoots 08:43 AM 07-10-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Another freakin' grouchy day in paradise. Wanna make somethin' out of it?
I swear none of my dcks tell me the truth anymore except the toddlers. And 3 yo dcg tries to boss every one around, is sassy, and has started hitting in frustration. Her 6 yo brother lies all the time and instigates almost everything.

Of course, I'm merely venting cause I can't exactly tell dcm all this. Especially since dcb's mom says he's very honest at home.
Lol! ...........
jgcp 03:55 PM 07-10-2014
Ahh so happy i found this thread!! Gosh everyday is like this latley! DCG 2.5 has been horrible all week telling me NO for everything ( which is my biggest pet peeve) and after reminding kids no running in the house today she tells me NO turns around and head butts ds!!! WTH i was so mad and she wont stay in timeout so im having a talk with dcm tonight! My ds was so great all weekend then Mon came and BAM started acting just like dcg. I need a vacation soon... a long one... a real one, by myself!! not even my DH can come! HAHAHA a girl can dream right?
Unregistered 07:41 PM 07-10-2014
I have felt this way ever since I took dcg's (11 months) older sister (7). She is Horrible! She lies, starts fights, instigates everything, and interrupts me all the time! She needs validation for every little thing! I can't stand her, but her sister is my favorite! I'm at the point where I'll be discussing with dcm that once schools strays I will no longer take her. I had my mother-in-law here a few weeks ago substituting for me and dcg slapped my son who is 3 so hard he had a perfect handprint on his arm and then when he started to cry she took a hard doll and smacked him across the face!! Mom said she handled it but she has been getting progressively worse! Dcm said yesterday that no matter where she is in the summer they always have issues. Ugh, gee thanks for that info 5 months ago...
hope 08:07 PM 07-10-2014
Once dcks were picked up and Dh came home I went straight to the shower bc it is the only place I could be alone with no one asking me questions or to do something for them. Dh popped his head in the bathroom and asked if I needed anything. I replied "yes I do. Some time to myself please". Poor Dh and my own kids did nothing wrong, the day was just too long.
Unregistered 04:40 PM 07-11-2014
I have nick named myself all this week " Miss Cranky Pants' mostly to friends and family
but due to couple of my children ( a sibling group ) and life and heat
it is friday and my week is almost done and some loose ends tied up too
and then Miss Cranky Pants will refuel for the next week
hopefully with the new nick name " miss Silly Pants "
Josiegirl 04:44 PM 07-11-2014
The grouchies have left the building.
Reply Up