Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terming My PT Infant
Blissful Kids 12:04 PM 01-18-2013
Hello All

I have posted on here before about the issues I am having with my part time infant. Things have not gotten any better. He continues to cry, be very needy of attention, and in my opinion not ready for group care. I feel like a different person on days he is not here and my poor dh is tired of hearing about him. I am on edge, grumpy, and negative when he is here because all he does is cry. Today I was vacuuming, I looked at him to ask if he was ok and he burst into tears. Seriously? I feel bad because his parents have been very cooperative, but I don't feel I can give him the same attention that grandma does on days he's not here. Finally today my dh told me to just talk to his parents and tell them that I can't watch him anymore. I'm going to talk to them this afternoon.

As far as a replacement goes, I know a girl from church who needs part time care for her ten month old. She's been in daycare since she was little at her mom's work and I've played with her in the church nursery. I read that she needed someone on the exact days I have my other part time infant and took it as a sign.

Any advice before I break the news? Time to get a backbone pretty darn quick! And as usual thanks for letting me vent!
cheerfuldom 12:13 PM 01-18-2013
Give them a simple letter with a reasonable time frame to end care, usually 2 to 4 weeks from now. Dont blame anyway, just let them know that you arent the right fit for his needs. You want him to be happy and have the best situation and right now, your program is not the right fit.

sorry things didnt work out but I am not surprised. Part time infants are notoriously ill prepared for daycare, especially when grandma is the other caregiver.
Kym2098 01:05 PM 01-18-2013
I agree with the other provider.
I also have a 5mo screamer. He has acid reflux which he is on meds for but he is so miserable! Can't be put down for a min and wants more attention then I can give.
I have to find a replacement before I can term him tho which I'm looking for!
He's only been here since Nov. but I'm on edge when he's here and we are all suffering from it!
I hope it all woks out for the best for you!
Blackcat31 01:11 PM 01-18-2013
Dear DCP

This is written intent to discontinue our child care services agreement. The last day I am able to provide care is January XX, 2013.

I feel that at this time, I am unable to provide the level of care that Billy requires and think it would be best if alternate care arrangements are made.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me so we can arrange a time to discuss the matter further.

Thank you,

Provider.

Keep it short, sweet and honest. HTH
Blissful Kids 04:09 PM 01-19-2013
It went about as well as it could. His dad picked up (I would've preferred mom). He made the comment, "Well I don't want him here if you don't." I said that it wasn't that I didn't want him there, I just didn't feel he was happy in my care. I made reference to how important continuity of care is to infants. (Something they emphasize in Early Head Start.) I said that I would watch him until they make other arrangements.

I'm glad I got it over with. I only have him one day next week. Only other annoying thing is that they forgot to paye. :/
providerandmomof4 04:18 PM 01-20-2013
I think that you will feel so much now. It's so hard when parents try to make you feel bad. I don't know...I can't imagine acting that way if the situation were reversed and I was asked to find alternate care.. I am in a similar situation with a crying baby. She has become increasingly demanding of my every moment and when I have tried to talk with dcd about it, he acts as if I'm not trying everything I should. I may end up doing the same thing you have had to. There comes a point when enough is enough, and if dcp aren't willing to even listen...what more can you do?
Heidi 04:45 PM 01-20-2013
I have one 7mo that is very sweet, and is doing better, but her mom's schedule is so erratic, it is tough.

The other day I watched her with mom...cute but very funny

Mom got her ready to go, put her in the car seat, then picked the seat up and started to talk to me. Baby fussed, mom started rocking the seat. I said nothing. She paused...baby fussed. She started again. Mom stood there for about 4-5 minutes, and each time mom stopped, baby fussed.

I almost burst out "Boy, has she got YOU trained!"

This is the same little dcg who CAN sit up, but wont try on her own. If she's on her back, she fusses for help (although she can roll over just fine). If hold out her bottle, I have to say "use your hands" every time, or she''ll just fuss for it. If she's on her tummy and a toy is out of reach...fuss fuss. Oh boy...

I'd certainly get a lot further with her if she were here 5 days a week. At least she sleeps, though, although she falls asleep screeching and generally wakes up screeching. Good thing she's on the other end of the house....
PolkaTots 05:46 PM 01-20-2013
I just termed a PT 1 year old this past week. She just enrolled a few weeks ago...but has never been in daycare before, and is only here 2 days a week (with grandma the other 3) Drop offs were horrible, and anytime I went out of sight, she went on a mad screaming fit...literally, it didn't matter if I was using the restroom or standing right behind her, she was screaming. It got to the point that so much time was spent consoling her, it was taking too much time away from the other children and our regularly scheduled activities. If this DCK would have been FT, I would have been more willing to work on it, because she would have been here more to learn our routine, but being PT, I knew that was going to be a lot harder with this child...not to mention, she still was mainly formula fed with only stage 2 baby foods (my other 1's are self feeding what we eat, just cut up smaller)

It just comes down to not every child is a perfect fit for every provider, and not every provider is a perfect fit for every child...write them a letter specifying a final date of care and include the number to the local CCR&R.
Reply Up