Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wasted Time at Interviews
PolkaTots 05:28 PM 04-28-2014
I have a question, when you can tell a potential family is not a good fit during an interview, how do you politely excuse yourself and end the interview? I had never really had this issue before, maybe 2-3 in 6 years. Over half of the interviews I've done in the past couple of weeks, the parents are either totally bizarre or have completely unrealistic expectations, I know within 5 mins I won't enroll their child I've had some great interviews too, but just want to find a way to excuse myself from a bad one so 1-2 hours of my time isn't wasted.
NoMoreJuice! 05:42 PM 04-28-2014
I find that hard to do also. I want so badly to remain polite, but I really just want to tell them to get out. Sometimes there is a policy that I stick to that they disagree with and I let them know they won't be a good fit unless they agree to it, then it's a mutual break-up because they want to leave as much as I want them to leave!
SignMeUp 06:21 PM 04-28-2014
I try to figure that out on a phone call. Because I can do that without combing my hair, making sure no one wiped his nose on my shirt during their last hug, or making sure the playroom looks nice. Heck , I can do it in my jammies
I try to only interview people in person that passed the phone test
midaycare 06:48 PM 04-28-2014
I'm interviewing a lot right now because I open in a few weeks. I'm full for the Summer, and almost for the Fall. I had great luck in interviews, mostly because I spend a lot of time weeding out people on the phone. I talk about the daycare, the policies, what we do in a day, etc. Then I ask them their expectations, what they are looking for ... If it's not a good fit, I don't schedule the interview.
Maria2013 07:05 PM 04-28-2014
Originally Posted by PolkaTots:
I have a question, when you can tell a potential family is not a good fit during an interview, how do you politely excuse yourself and end the interview? I had never really had this issue before, maybe 2-3 in 6 years. Over half of the interviews I've done in the past couple of weeks, the parents are either totally bizarre or have completely unrealistic expectations, I know within 5 mins I won't enroll their child I've had some great interviews too, but just want to find a way to excuse myself from a bad one so 1-2 hours of my time isn't wasted.
it happened to me twice in 9 yrs...I tell them straight out..."I can see that we wont be a good mach, lets not waste each others time, I wish you all the best in finding what you are looking for "
cheerfuldom 08:38 PM 04-28-2014
agree with Maria. You need to speak up and say "I can see that you are looking for XYZ and that is not something I offer. I don't want to waste any more of your time interviewing when it is clear that this program is not the right fit for your needs." Then stand up and start walking to the door "let me show you out. I appreciate your consideration. Thanks for coming" open the door and stand by the door waiting for them to go out. Keep guiding them to and out the door. It will be easier to end the thing when you can give a cheery goodbye and close the door on them
coolconfidentme 04:49 AM 04-29-2014
I have said, "You really sound like you would be a good fit for XXX's program. Have you interviewed over there?" It worked for me, lol.
Second Home 05:56 AM 04-29-2014
I had a bad interview where I knew I would not take the child . Even though I told them I would not change my policies for them they just kept on talking and asking for more changes . Finally I just stopped answering them and acted like I did not care about their questions , just looked at them . If I did answer it was just a one word answer .

I realize that what I did at the interview was probably not the best idea. I just wanted them to leave.
Kabob 06:58 AM 04-29-2014
Like others said, you can tell them it's not a good fit and good luck or...you can tell them all their "special" requests will cost them extra....a lot extra. It got one mom that just wouldn't leave (she argued that there was no one else that would take her and she got kicked out of her other daycare because the provider was too "lazy" to carry dcg around all day....gee I wonder why) to leave literally in seconds. I told her that carrying 2 yo dcg around all day would cost her an extra $10 per half hour... $5 per 15 minutes of her needing to use one of my pacifiers....$10 extra per day that I had to keep her up during nap time.....etc....dh struggled keeping a straight face...
spinnymarie 07:28 AM 04-29-2014
Originally Posted by PolkaTots:
so 1-2 hours of my time isn't wasted.
Holy cow that's a long interview! Mine are 30 minutes, max. We do several emails where I ask a bunch of question and send them the handbook and try to get that sort of thing out of the way, maybe that would help? I don't like phone calls because it takes up my precious family time since there is no way I could do it while the kids are here, so email is my preferred contact method. But I especially like that they've seen all my policies ahead of time, we can ask specific questions and be done!
Tags:bad interview
Reply Up