Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Why Preschool Shouldn't Be Like Schools
MommyMuffin 07:01 AM 04-06-2011
I came across this article today and I really enjoyed it and wanted to share.

Why Preschool Shouldn't Be Like School
New research shows that teaching kids more and more, at ever-younger ages, may backfire.
By Alison Gopnik
Posted Wednesday, March 16, 2011, at 2:15 PM ET

To see the whole article here is the link:

http://www.slate.com/id/2288402/
ninosqueridos 07:14 AM 04-06-2011
thank you for sharing
3kidzmama 07:25 AM 04-06-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I came across this article today and I really enjoyed it and wanted to share.

Why Preschool Shouldn't Be Like School
New research shows that teaching kids more and more, at ever-younger ages, may backfire.
By Alison Gopnik
Posted Wednesday, March 16, 2011, at 2:15 PM ET

To see the whole article here is the link:

http://www.slate.com/id/2288402/
So completely true. I've been saying this for years.
Meeko 06:29 AM 04-07-2011
I have printed it off and will be showing it to those parents I meet now and then who think I should be sitting their kids down at a desk and teaching them French!

I also include the pamphlet "Play is FUNdamental" with every contract I give out.
Crystal 06:46 AM 04-07-2011
This is why "preschool" should be play-based, hands-on, real-life experiences rather than cookie cutter academics. That's why I do not buy pre-packaged "curriculum"

The children and the environment ARE the curriculum here
Evansmom 06:51 AM 04-07-2011
Yup, my philosophy exactly. The only reason I do curriculum is that it brings in clients and impresses parents. Otherwise I would have a different thing going. But even with the curriculum we have LOTS of free time. VERY important in my book!

Plus I believe that these early years should have a real basis in social development. How can children learn when they do get to school if they do not have the social skills needed to share, trade and negotiate with other children? How can they learn if they don't know how to respect the teacher and the other students and their environment?
Meeko 11:13 AM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
Yup, my philosophy exactly. The only reason I do curriculum is that it brings in clients and impresses parents. Otherwise I would have a different thing going. But even with the curriculum we have LOTS of free time. VERY important in my book!

Plus I believe that these early years should have a real basis in social development. How can children learn when they do get to school if they do not have the social skills needed to share, trade and negotiate with other children? How can they learn if they don't know how to respect the teacher and the other students and their environment?
One of my best friends is a kindergarten teacher. She once told me she hates getting kids who can already rattle off their ABC's, count to 100 etc....but can't sit still, can't share. can't take turns, etc etc. She ends up with a problem child,,,,,and parents who can't understand that their little Einstein is being disruptive.....

She wishes pre-school would just PREPARE kids for for kindy...not try to BE it!!
nannyde 11:28 AM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:

YES YES YES YES YES

I would just add "us" to that: the children, the environment, and US.
momatheart 11:30 AM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
One of my best friends is a kindergarten teacher. She once told me she hates getting kids who can already rattle off their ABC's, count to 100 etc....but can't sit still, can't share. can't take turns, etc etc. She ends up with a problem child,,,,,and parents who can't understand that their little Einstein is being disruptive.....

She wishes pre-school would just PREPARE kids for for kindy...not try to BE it!!
I agree with your friend.

I work in a preschool in the daycare part. When parents ask us if we feel their child should move onto kindergarten we take into account each individual child and here is what we look at. This is also what we work on EVERYDAY with the children.

1. Can your child sit still and listen?
2. Do they have social skills, eg. sharing, taking turns, etc.
3. Do they have the maturity?
4. Do they follow teacher direction?

There may be more but I can't think of it right now.

My favorite is when parents think just because little Johnny meets the deadline and is accidemically ready he is ready for Kindergarten. Or to skip Kindergarten and move right onto 1st grade.

Social skills speak so much louder than accidemics in regards to Kindergarten readiness.
Evansmom 12:03 PM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:

Totally agree with your friend. I have spent lots of time in elementary classrooms from K-4th and believe me when I say that you can tell that teachers spend more than 50% of their time on average getting the whole class to settle down and stop fighting before they can even teach anything.

Imagine if kids were taught in preschool how to sit in circle, how to share, trade, take turns, not side talk, respect each other, respect the teacher, etc.

Have any of you read the book Raising Lifelong Learners? It's gotta be my fav overall. I highly recommend! It speaks to raising kids who are naturally inquisitive and have a love for learning and exploring. If kids have that spark then the ABC's and 123's are simple.
SilverSabre25 12:16 PM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
This is why "preschool" should be play-based, hands-on, real-life experiences rather than cookie cutter academics. That's why I do not buy pre-packaged "curriculum"

LIKE! Very well-said!
Tags:article, curriculum, preschool, preschool curriculum
Reply Up