Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Inexpensive Purchased Curriculum
KEG123 07:13 AM 05-17-2011
I'm still deciding on whether or not I want to purchase or make my own curriculum. This post is not about which I should do. I was looking at some of the purchase curriculum's and they're kind of expensive. I was wondering what you use, and how much it is.

This won't be until September-ish that we start. At that time my guess is that I'll have my 3 year old, an almost 2 year old, and possibly a 3 year old (full time) and then 2.5 year old twins on wed & fri. I only point that out because I noticed some curriculum's go on how many kids participate.

Thanks.
blueclouds29 07:57 AM 05-17-2011
That is sooo funny cause i'm having the same issue except my oldest is 2 years old. I wanted something just to get a schedule going or at least some type of system. I'm not worried about teaching their ABC's and 123's right yet. But by Sept i can start circle time and doing stories and such. I don't want to spend too much right now cause they are still a little young. I do have TONS of mailbox books so i really could just do my own from that. I don't know yet.. But i do have time...
daycare 08:39 AM 05-17-2011
have you ever heard of the mailbox.com? I used to use mother goose time but it's just not what I wanted for my kids and its too much $$

I just purchased a book called day by day preschool plans. I love it! Thematic plans for every week. They have weekly themes and give some great ideas. I believe the book will last me all year and it only cost 19.99 plus tax and shipping..

they have some great free stuff too. I stopped spending money on buying ideas and now i used this book and a few others to create my own. it's so much cheaper.

also this way I can pick and choose what i do or dont want to do. I hated having to follow MGT schedule. It stressed me out always trying to get it all in and then most of the time the kids didnt like what we were doing. Very cookie cutter if you ask me......
MommyMuffin 10:31 AM 05-17-2011
I have a ages 4 months to 3 years old. I have used Mother Goose Time, Funshine Express the buttercups version and the christian component.

I have 2 children that do MGT and it costs me total about 80 dollars a month. That includes tax and I have to purchase the infant/toddler book because the curriculum is too advanced for my ages.

Funshine was about 50 dollars for buttercups for the 2 children. It did require you to have some material and that actually ended up costing me more money than I wanted to spend.

Funshines christian component is only for about a weeks worth of activities. It costs me about 8 dollars for the 2 children.
Country Kids 12:10 PM 05-17-2011
I do MGT and it averages me about $75.00 a month for 5 children. Before I did this I was following a program off the computor which was really good but cost me about the same if not more and I was working on it at least an hour a night and more on the weekend preparing for it. My family was having to help me cut things out, etc. By the time I bought ink cartridges to print things off, construction paper, and many other things it was adding up fast. Also if I didn't have something for that day we couldn't do it till I could get to the store and buy it.

I did MGT when my children were little and I did childcare and it was a big hit then. My kids now absolutely LOVE MGT and can't wait everyday to start. I don't follow it to a tee though. I look at what they suggest and then may do it or add my own twist on it. Today we took the spanish cards and did a game with them, wasn't even in the book but I thought it would be fun to do. My parents love it also!

This month is The Pond. I painted a large pond, then added brown around it to look like mud, then lastely green for the grass. Everytime we have a craft that involves something that lives at a pond we tape it up there. The kids go nuts to show the parents what we added that day.

I really love teaching so MGT has helped me in the area and then I love adding my own twist. I can't wait till this summer when I move the classroom outside! If only it would quite raining 95% of the time

I think MGT can send you a sample box to see if it would work for you. You should call each of the companies and see if they would be willing to do something like that and then you could see what really fits for your program.
KEG123 12:26 PM 05-17-2011
Can I ask, when it specifies how many kids, why does it need to know? Becuase it sends out extra supplies? Can you provide examples of some things it includes?
Michael 12:30 PM 05-17-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
have you ever heard of the mailbox.com? I used to use mother goose time but it's just not what I wanted for my kids and its too much $$
mailbox.com ? You sure that is the right address?
blueclouds29 12:34 PM 05-17-2011
http://www.theeducationcenter.com/tec/afc/home/go.do

Mailbox website!
Country Kids 01:59 PM 05-17-2011
For MGT they need to know how many children so all the children can have the craft supplies and if there is other things all they children may have one. With MGT every month each child receives a "Journal". This covers a number, colors, shapes, and letters. Each page has something to work on and throughout the month there will be a lesson to go with the "Journal".

With MGT you have a craft about every other day. You might play a file folder game that is included, learn a color, shape, spanish words. There are days you find things on a poster, name tags for name identification, something about another country, food, etc. Also each month you receive a book and a CD for that theme. The book and CD alone would be $15-20 dollars I'm sure.

Each day there is a bag for that day. There are usually four things to do from that bag. That is another thing I like, just grab and go. Usually the day/night before I look at it just in case there is prep work and if there is very minimal. I know what my group can handle and if it something I know that will be hard I do part of it and we will finish it together. Also, if I don't want to do something like they suggest I will put my own twist on it.

I have alot of fun with this program and thank them everyday in my heart that I am able to do it with my group and that my group LOVES it.
Crystal 08:12 AM 05-18-2011
I'm not a fan of purchased curriculum, but if I were to choose one it would be this:

http://www.creativeprek.com

It doesn't include the supplies, but most supplies are things you'll have on hand anyway (lots of recyclables) and it is a VERY hands-on curriculum.
Tags:curriculum, funshine express, mailbox.com, mother goose time
Reply Up