Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>If You Have Pre-Packaged...Do You Make Them Participate?
SunflowerMama 07:16 AM 08-30-2011
If you use a pre-packaged curriculum do you make kids participate in the crafts, etc.?

Most of my dcks love the crafts but I have one 3 yr old that could care less and really doesn't want to participate.

Do you make them participate or just allow them to participate when they want to?
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 08-30-2011
I just try to make sure I invite everyone to join but require NO ONE to participate.

Last year, I had a 3 yr old little girl who would sit and happily watch but would never participate. Fast forward to this year, and she is like a little Martha Stewart and even correcting me when I do something wrong! LOL!!

All craft and game activities are optional.
SunflowerMama 07:32 AM 08-30-2011
That's what I've always done too I'm just afraid mom or dad might wonder why their child is the only one not coming home with something.
mismatchedsocks 07:40 AM 08-30-2011
I would have her sit with group and put the things in front of her. You could baggy up her portion, and send home saying "she just didnt want to do it today, but maybe she will be in mood at home"

Maybe she is shy, try putting her at own little table and try to see what she will do. Or display it in their cubbies or place that is just for them. Maybe seeing her "spot" empty will make her want to participate?
rbmom 04:06 PM 08-30-2011
[quote=Blackcat31;141262]I just try to make sure I invite everyone to join but require NO ONE to participate.

This is how I do it also!
daycare 04:31 PM 08-30-2011
I ask everyone to participate. However, if they have no interest, I will allow for them to do a different project. I don't allow for them to play toys or go to a station becuase then all of the kids would just rather do that. If the child does not like what we are doing (which it might help to take notes on each childs likes and learning styles) I ask them to do a different task still related taht I know they will like. Whatever it is that they don't complete from their package, I then send it home with them. this way their parent knows that it was offered, but the child did not want to do it.

At this age most projects and lessons do produce a product. I let the parents know this up front. My son is a prime example of this....he hates art, writing, projects and etc, but he will build things all day long....
Blackcat31 04:43 PM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I ask everyone to participate. However, if they have no interest, I will allow for them to do a different project. I don't allow for them to play toys or go to a station becuase then all of the kids would just rather do that. If the child does not like what we are doing (which it might help to take notes on each childs likes and learning styles) I ask them to do a different task still related taht I know they will like. Whatever it is that they don't complete from their package, I then send it home with them. this way their parent knows that it was offered, but the child did not want to do it.

At this age most projects and lessons do produce a product. I let the parents know this up front. My son is a prime example of this....he hates art, writing, projects and etc, but he will build things all day long....
Daycare, I am NOT pointing/directing this at you specifically but I am wondering why? Why can't the kids just go play if they want? Why can't they decide what it is they want to do? Why is it so important to do a sit down type curriculum with kids who should be doing nothing more at this age than simply playing freely?

You stated in your post that the other kids would want to go play too if one kid does this...isn't that telling us, as providers, something then? Making, encouraging, forcing, helping, insisting (or whatever word you want to insert here)
a child who is not in school sit and do an art or craft project simply for the result in not in any way developmentally apprpriate practice and is not in the best interest of the child IMHO.

Lately there have been several threads on here about Montessori or Emergent Child and/or child-led programs. Forcing a child to sit (whether doing a project or not) goes against every theory these methods teach.

As I said, I am not asking you specifically daycare, I am asking everyone why? Why is this acceptable practice for providers?
daycare 04:49 PM 08-30-2011
for me it is the simple reason that I would not be able to watch them if they were to leave the classroom area to go and play toys. I do understand what you mean and I do allow for that during free play. I try my best to understand each child, their style of learning, what their likes are and what not. i learn this by allowing straight free play in the summer and preschool from sept to june. I have never had a kid resist any of the lessons overall, as I make sure that I have something for everyone.

Just thought that I would explain my post....lol I know you aren't picking on me... It's just my set up...oh and by the way...I always try to follow the kids interest. If there were ever a time all of the kids said I don't want to do this and we all want to play, then that is exactly what we would do....
snbauser 04:50 PM 08-30-2011
I do not force the children to participate. Most of the time they will all cycle through the art center but there are days where one or two does not. When we are doing art, we do it while other centers are available and they can choose which one they want to participate in. Usually when they start to see the other children having fun at the table they decide to join in.
Blackcat31 04:59 PM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
for me it is the simple reason that I would not be able to watch them if they were to leave the classroom area to go and play toys. I do understand what you mean and I do allow for that during free play. I try my best to understand each child, their style of learning, what their likes are and what not. i learn this by allowing straight free play in the summer and preschool from sept to june. I have never had a kid resist any of the lessons overall, as I make sure that I have something for everyone.

Just thought that I would explain my post....lol I know you aren't picking on me... It's just my set up...oh and by the way...I always try to follow the kids interest. If there were ever a time all of the kids said I don't want to do this and we all want to play, then that is exactly what we would do....
Thank you for clarifying that and I appreciate it. Like I said, I wasn't pointing my response right at you, it is just that I feel like a lot of posters are assuming that it is vital that a child participate in curriculum and they may be failing as a provider if the child isn't doing that or they aren't living up to the parents expectations and that just makes me really sad. There doesn't seem to be any time in a child's life any more where they can be a kid and simply play. There are so many lessons in play that it is almost rediculous the amount of stuff a child learns while playing in a social setting with their peers. There are so many years of state approved curriulum and learning in that context ahead of them that to rob kids the experience of playing is sad.

I threw out a big washing machine size box and a couple sheets along with a couple old hunting hats my dad gave me to the kids and we are currently on week two just playing. I can guarantee you that my dck's have learned alot about themselves, the group and certain social behaviors (sharing, taking turns, talking and listening, being creative, and the list goes on and on) compared to what they would have learned had I did what Funshine Express, for example, had outlined for us this week.

We giggled, we laughed, some cried, some got pouty and some got angry but every single kid wanted to genuinely play and be part of the group. Every single kid has come in the morning asking when we can get the box back out. Every single kid has been a kid. That is priceless, in my opinion, and if the parents expect anything more or less from me they aren't going to get it from my program.
daycare 05:17 PM 08-30-2011
oh I hear ya. I hate packaged stuff personally its not for me. BTDT and I didnt like it. We are very similar in the sense of just playing with the most odd things. In fact we just recently had a week of being inventors and had to create all of our own toys.

When I was doing MGT, I did feel the stress from the parents and the stress of feeling failed, but that was some time ago and I have learned that was all wrong for me and my group. I do have a set curriculum, but if my kids are not responding to it, then we just play it by ear and move on to something else.

I look at it now as open lessons. I have intentions of doing a lesson with plans, but like I said I go with the flow.....

I tired to find a pic of a box tower/robot that the kids built two weeks ago, it was super cool, but I can't find it now...lol
Tags:curriculum
Reply Up