Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>How To Entertain School Age Kids After School
totspotmom 12:42 PM 01-17-2012
Hi I run my own home daycare in Nebraska. I am new to daycare.com, am glad to have found it! I have some many things I'd like to improve on! My issue right now is I have a large after school group of 7 dcks. They are ages 4(x2) 5(x3) & 8(x2). Pretty much even on being boys and girls, but they are a very energetic group and I would like get a few things for entertainment for the 1 1/2 hours they are with me. I do have paper and crayons markers etc.. for art but no toys or any games that are for their ages. I need some good suggestions as to what I should get. I don't want to invest a lot of money but I want things that will last as long as I can expect. Thank you for your input I appreciate it!
Michael 01:11 PM 01-17-2012
Thank you and welcome to the forum. You really should register. I've placed some tags at the bottom left of this thread that may help.
Unregistered 07:37 PM 01-17-2012
Hey I tried to register but when I tried log in it said my info was wrong? Should I retry?
Michael 01:35 AM 01-18-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hey I tried to register but when I tried log in it said my info was wrong? Should I retry?
Would you send me your info here and I will enter it manually?

https://www.daycare.com/forum/sendmessage.php
melissa ann 05:57 AM 01-18-2012
First, if it's nice, send them outside. Get some balls, jumpropes, maybe some hola hoops.
For some crafts, even though I'm not a fan of Walmart, they have some craft kits for $10 and under. For $10 you can get a jewelry kit(I'm not sure how many bracelets,etc it makes), friendship bracelet kits, etc. For $5, you can pick up a weaving kit to make potholders. The kits makes 4. Refills also costs $5 and make 5.
Do you have books? Mine like to read the Ramona series from Beverly Cleary ( I also read those as a kid), Sweet Valley Twins, Little House on the prarie.
Puzzles. A lot of kids like to do puzzles. If the kids get along and/or you have space for a bigger puzzle (300-500 pcs) maybe set one up on cardboard, then when it's finished, you can glue it and hang it up. (I do that with my puzzles)
I"m not sure about games. My kids like BattleShip, Payday. Uno. (My group consists of ages 4-8, I have a 3yr dcb too, but he just plays with cars mostly)
Maybe once a week, let them watch a dvd or something. Mine are into Land Before Time, and the ICarly series.
Cat Herder 05:59 AM 01-18-2012
You can't go wrong with the classics.....

Basketballs and a Hoop
Kickball
Jump Ropes
Hula Hoops
Badmitton
Volleyball
Football
Socker
Hopscotch
Checkers
Chess
Board games

Be careful allowing free music selection or baseball bats....... Trust me.
LittleD 06:14 AM 01-18-2012
We LOVE board games.
If they are feeling antsy and can't sit still, twister is a good one.
Even the ones for younger kids, like the limbo game (or even traditional with a broom and music)
Elephun I think it's called, where the elephant blows out butterflies and the kids have to catch them.
Musical chairs
Simon says (another popular one)
Mother May I
Red light Green Light.
familyschoolcare 06:52 AM 01-18-2012
I fill up the time with quiet/homework and then outside, untill dark. We just go from one to the next. However, right now all of my go to school.
AfterSchoolMom 07:08 AM 01-18-2012
Everyone's ideas for outdoor activities are great. I say keep them outside as much as possible.

For inside:
Blocks of all varieties - wooden, legos (legos are a BIG hit with little boys - they'll often build for hours), duplos, Lincoln Logs, Bristle blocks, etc.

Painting, stampers and washable ink pads

Ants in the Pants
Gone Fishing
Memory
Uno
Puzzles
Play doh or Moon dough with lots of cutting and rolling tools and cookie cutters
Matchbox cars

Also, things that younger kids play with such as a kitchen set or train table are usually still popular for the kindergarteners.
awestbrook713 07:15 AM 01-18-2012
I have a few suggestions that I have been given and came up with myself.

Blocks
Playdough (make your own plenty of recipes out there let them help make it then play with it)
Flubber (same as above)
Different lengthed wall molding that you could use as ramps with blocks of wood and plastic balls. Let the children build ramps and take turns with different sized balls. The kids love this one.
Reading books
Coloring
Baking/Food prep let them help make their own snacks.
I don't know how big your space is, mine is too small at the moment for this but musical chairs if you have child sized chairs
Board games.

Hope some of these help.
Tags:age appropriate - activities, arts and crafts, curriculum, nebraska, school-age, school-age activities, schoolage, schoolage - summer care
Reply Up