Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"Preschool Curriculum/Program" - What Exactly This Means??
lolaland 10:38 AM 01-23-2013
I read frequently in this forum home daycare Providers saying they have a "Preschool Program " or they offer a "Preschool Curriculum "... exactly what does this means??? Do you have to have a teacher's diploma? Is it a different type of licensing? Does it means you get those preschool boxes in the mail (mother goose/funshine)? Or it only means your weekly plan includes practicing writing/reading/math skills in a preschool level??
itlw8 10:51 AM 01-23-2013
to me a preschool is 2 to 3 hours a day though some do have extended day programs available.

I have a childcare with a preschool curriculum meaning in the morning for 3 hours we have preschool. No I do not have a degree I do not use boxed curriculum I plan my own and I surely do not sit them down to do work sheets flash cards and such.

I have a play based curriculum. Meaning we learn hands on. So If my plan was to talk about winter birds. I would have binoculars out for them to choose. I would have books, puppets, posters available to set the stage

Then I would plan some activites like making bird feeders that week. I would read some books about birds and winter that week.Much of the day is child directed activites but I do float around the room observing, providing more materials to expand their play, I may join in ( let them lead) then I can ask open ended questions .

We learn about letters, math science all through our activites.
Play Care 11:04 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by lolaland:
I read frequently in this forum home daycare Providers saying they have a "Preschool Program " or they offer a "Preschool Curriculum "... exactly what does this means??? Do you have to have a teacher's diploma? Is it a different type of licensing? Does it means you get those preschool boxes in the mail (mother goose/funshine)? Or it only means your weekly plan includes practicing writing/reading/math skills in a preschool level??
I advertise that I offer a preschool curriculum (NOT that I am a preschool)I have monthly themes and activities that go with each (no work sheets or flash cards just a lot of hands on activities) as well as letter/number recognition, etc.- I don't do the boxed curriculums as I think they are too expensive (and not always appropriate), but I'm sure many who advertise preschool programs use them. In my state "real" preschools are covered by the State Ed dept. DC's are covered by OCFS. There are different rules and regs to follow. I believe you have to have a AA degree to be considered a "real" preschool teacher, but am not 100% sure.
For me it helps to plan "formal" learning into the day. I find I sometimes get wrapped up in the day care day and after spending all day changing diapers, getting kids to the potty, cooking their meals, cleaning up, etc. etc. etc. I'd wondered if I'd even *talked* to them all day, much less took advantage of teachable moments
itlw8 02:48 PM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I advertise that I offer a preschool curriculum (NOT that I am a preschool)I have monthly themes and activities that go with each (no work sheets or flash cards just a lot of hands on activities) as well as letter/number recognition, etc.- I don't do the boxed curriculums as I think they are too expensive (and not always appropriate), but I'm sure many who advertise preschool programs use them. In my state "real" preschools are covered by the State Ed dept. DC's are covered by OCFS. There are different rules and regs to follow. I believe you have to have a AA degree to be considered a "real" preschool teacher, but am not 100% sure.
For me it helps to plan "formal" learning into the day. I find I sometimes get wrapped up in the day care day and after spending all day changing diapers, getting kids to the potty, cooking their meals, cleaning up, etc. etc. etc. I'd wondered if I'd even *talked* to them all day, much less took advantage of teachable moments
HA ! That was my day today
Tags:curriculum
Reply Up