Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>What Purchase Curriculum Do You Use?
VanessaEO 11:18 AM 01-22-2011
I think I'd like to purchase curriculum rather than spending so much time figuring it out myself.

What are your suggestions?
VanessaEO 11:23 AM 01-22-2011
supposed to be purchaseD curriculum! Sorry for the typo!
lvt77 01:23 PM 01-22-2011
mother goose time pre planned its ok.... not my fav
reach for the stars
brite stars
zoo phonics

free sites like the mail box .com
all kids network.com

I posted some earlier in a different thread...
Danielle 02:52 PM 01-22-2011
I just create my own. I pick a theme. We go to the library to get books on the theme (we do this when we go to story time on Wednesday mornings). I find a craft or 2 on the theme. The other days I pick worksheets out of the basic preschool workbooks I have (letters, numbers, matching, tracing, ect). We also do lacing cards, sorting beads, puzzles, ect. I want to add a science experiment every week too.

I also blog each week about our lessons, if anyone's interested:
http://mamamusingsblog.blogspot.com/
Unregistered 03:47 PM 01-22-2011
I use the Funsteps company. www.funsteps.com. There's funsteps for 3-5 yr olds and they also have one called Twosteps for 2-3 year olds, if you need one geared for toddlers (the two can be used together so that both groups are doing basically the same theme, but have different learning activities geared for the specific age groups). It's a 3 day a week pre-planned curriculum, with pre-packaged crafts. They have no more than 1 worsksheet a day, either a number or letter, sometimes none. It's mostly hand's on learning. A couple things I've found that I'm not very thrilled with is they don't focus on the alphabet or numbers very much (you have to buy seperate alphabet and number programs through them to get more practice. The curriculum includes a little, just not much. So if you want a 5 day lesson plan this would be a good thing to get), and they don't always have the "typical" themes. Most of the time only 2 days are spent on one theme. So if you want to set up your daycare or preschool for the theme that week, you're redoing everything every two days. And a lot of them aren't typical themes, like I mentioned, so you can't really set up the learning centers to go with it.
They are decently priced, and always there to help out with anything. If your number in attendance change throughout the year, they can change your order for that number. They'll work with you however you need.
Former Teacher 04:13 PM 01-22-2011
Originally Posted by VanessaEO:
I think I'd like to purchase curriculum rather than spending so much time figuring it out myself.

What are your suggestions?
I recommend doing your own. When I was at my former center I had Highreach Learning. The first few years were great. Then it started to get repetitive. I eventually made my own.

You can get great information online. Plus check out your local goodwill/thrift store. I can't tell you how many great school book bargains I found.

It maybe overwhelming at first. But trust me: it's really easy!
momatheart 05:05 PM 01-22-2011
did mother goose before. I am not crazy about it. Now we do our own again.
alyssyn 08:56 PM 01-22-2011
I used Mother Goose also. Didn't like it one bit. I do my own and it is not overwhelming at all.
MissAnn 04:30 AM 01-23-2011
I don't like Mother Goose either. You can get the book....Creative Curriculum which shows you how to set up centers. You can make your environment the main curriculum by having every thing down for the kids to make choices in what they want to do that day. You will need to have a variety of materials though so they will have lots of choices.....and then rotate them in and out during the course of the year. I also have a "trash to treasures" bin for art. I don't do the copy cat art that Mother Goose provides. The kids make use their own ideas. I also do not give out color sheets. Instead the kids draw. I find that by not having a premade curriculum we are free to do and learn what we want. The kids are happier and involved in what they are doing. Hard to explain....but I've done it both ways and I prefer this....and the kids are learning more this way too. You look for teachable moments and then take advantage of them.
melskids 12:48 PM 01-23-2011
Originally Posted by kareng:
I don't like Mother Goose either. You can get the book....Creative Curriculum which shows you how to set up centers. You can make your environment the main curriculum by having every thing down for the kids to make choices in what they want to do that day. You will need to have a variety of materials though so they will have lots of choices.....and then rotate them in and out during the course of the year. I also have a "trash to treasures" bin for art. I don't do the copy cat art that Mother Goose provides. The kids make use their own ideas. I also do not give out color sheets. Instead the kids draw. I find that by not having a premade curriculum we are free to do and learn what we want. The kids are happier and involved in what they are doing. Hard to explain....but I've done it both ways and I prefer this....and the kids are learning more this way too. You look for teachable moments and then take advantage of them.
i use the creative curriculum as well. we also do not do "cookie cutter" crafts, or parent pleasers. i follow the kids lead, and let them choose our themes. they have been hooked on trains and dinosaurs for the last two months!!!! i find by using a different theme each week, the kids aren't really getting anything out of it, and when they do, "bam!!!" time to change themes again. i dont really do letters or numbers "of the week". its more about learning the alphabet and numbers as a whole, through everything we do.
sahm1225 12:59 PM 01-23-2011
I am also curious about this... I work 12hr days, I still have to cook and clean and take care of my own kids. I am exhausted at the end of the day and honestly am considering purchasing a curriculum too..

What other ones are there that you DID like?
Daycare_Mama 02:07 PM 01-23-2011
I'm surprised so many have said they don't like Mother Goose Time. I have done it for a few months now and love it!

I researched different curriculum for a while because I know I can't make my own. I already feel like I don't have enough time as it is, so that is not an option as I'm not willing to spend anymore time outside of my daycare day than I have to. I am creative and have good craft ideas, but I would always end up spending ridiculous amounts on little things to make one craft. So, I love that with MGT, the crafts come with everything you need (except basics like scissors, crayons, glue). Someone mentioned cookie cutter crafts, but my kids certainly like making the same thing as each other and get a kick out of it. I have tons of scrapbooking stuff that they can make their crafts "their own" with. Buttons, feathers, stickers, letters, paper shapes, etc.

I must say I haven't heard of some of these that you ladies mentioned. But I decided on MGT and I am happy with it so far.

I only order it for 2 kids, so it IS spendy, IMO. That's so far, the only drawback. It's the most spendy for 2 kids. After that, each additional kid is only about $3 each per month. I deal with the price because it's worth it to me to have go-to ideas for the day just waiting in a little yellow box. We don't do it every day. Some days, we'll do all the activities/lessons/craft for the day and other days we'll only do the craft or only sing some of the songs, or only do 1 of the activities. It's very flexible. My kids probably like the cd that comes with each month the best! I buy the infant/toddler curriculum book which has been very helpful and gives me ideas that I never would have thought of on my own. Although, I think that should be included in the price.

Everything is individually packaged for each for day. So, in the morning, I just pull out that day's package, look through it and decide what we'll do out of it that day, and get whatever materials I need ready. Usually just scissors, crayons, glue, etc. Everything else is there. Next month's theme is Nursery Rhymes and I'm pretty excited for it!

I will have to check some of these other curriculum out though. I don't have any die hard loyalty to MGT; but I have been happy with it.
Blackcat31 07:47 PM 01-23-2011
I used to use funshine express. It was affordable and easy to use because it was literally laid out every day for you and all the crafts were pre-packed and sorted out too. Each month you get teacher supplies and a book as well as all the number and alphabet color/work sheets for the weekly theme you are on. You get a moving to the msic cd every year too. They have toddler, preschool, school age and christian curriculums. http://www.funshineexpress.com/
I bought it for about 4 years but I now do my own curriculum.
DBug 03:28 AM 01-24-2011
I do Funshine Express and LOVE it! I was thinking about Mother Goose because it looks awesome, so I'm surprised so many people don't like it. For me, it's just too expensive at this point. I've done my own curriculum before and it just takes too much time and I'm constantly running out to get more craft supplies, etc. The cost of Funshine is more than worth it for me (and I have the added shipping and customs cost of sending it Canada).

Not all of the parents appreciate it as much as I would hope, but I can see the progress the kids are making and I know prospective parents are very impressed by it during the interview. It also keeps our day structured and productive, which is good since I have a natural tendency to slack off .
MissAnn 03:54 AM 01-24-2011
[quote=Daycare_Mama;74800]I'm surprised so many have said they don't like Mother Goose Time. I have done it for a few months now and love it!

The problem I have with Mother Goose Time is that it lacks creativity on the kids part. There is basically one way to do the craft. I prefer child directed projects where they can use imagination and create what and how they want....and when as well. I worked at a program where they used MGT and after a few months the kids didn't even want to come to the table to do the craft. As far as the themes go.....they were good, but what happens when a child wants to learn about spiders and not what Mother Goose Time (or other canned curriculums) has in mind? I just find it much easier and child directed when I set the environment up in a way that gives kids many choices and we can learn what they want because that's when their interest is the highest. It's hard to explain. I know everyone has their own ways.....but this is just what works for me.
melskids 05:25 AM 01-24-2011
[quote=kareng;74856]
Originally Posted by Daycare_Mama:
I'm surprised so many have said they don't like Mother Goose Time. I have done it for a few months now and love it!

The problem I have with Mother Goose Time is that it lacks creativity on the kids part. There is basically one way to do the craft. I prefer child directed projects where they can use imagination and create what and how they want....and when as well. I worked at a program where they used MGT and after a few months the kids didn't even want to come to the table to do the craft. As far as the themes go.....they were good, but what happens when a child wants to learn about spiders and not what Mother Goose Time (or other canned curriculums) has in mind? I just find it much easier and child directed when I set the environment up in a way that gives kids many choices and we can learn what they want because that's when their interest is the highest. It's hard to explain. I know everyone has their own ways.....but this is just what works for me.
i agree. And since i've been using Creative Curriculum, i've noticed that it's not only is less money , it takes less prep time as well.

our day, if anyone is interested, looks much like this....

say our theme is Valentine's. (which by the way, i dont pick themes, i let the children decide what they want to do)

the dramatic play area will be set up like a DR.s office (for heart)

the block area is always open, but i may put out just the red blocks

cozy corner has tons of books about valentine's, friendship, and doctors

for fine motor, there will be red playdough, red hearts to lace, hearts to cut out or tear, a homemade heart shape puzzle, etc.

math center has red counters in it, and hearts in different colors and shapes (made from construction paper and laminated) for sorting by size or making patterns

science center might have picures of real hearts, mixing red paint, red cellophane to look through, etc

writing desk has red crayons/colored pencils. (i dont make the kids do worksheets, but there are always ones there if they want to do them, so maybe a few letter H ones, a heart maze, that sort of thing) i would add hearts cut out of sandpaper for rubbings, and letter stencils to make valentine cards.

cooking is heart shaped cookies or sandwiches, friendship fruit salad

the sand table has heart cookie cutters

for gross motor, we hop on hearts made from construction paper. i might put shapes or letters or colors on them, and play games to incorporate that..."hop on a pink heart." or " everyone hop on a heart with the letter H on it".

for art, the easel has red and white paint. i might put heart shaped paper there, or heart stamps. the table has materials put out, and the kids are free to choose what they want to create. (paper of different types, crayons, markers, glue, tissue paper, bingo dabbers, etc) i would probably add heart stickers or foam shapes and paper doiles (i always find at the $ store).

prepackaged crafts are great for fine motor and learning how to follow directions. And i LOVE them for days when the SA are here. keeps 'em busy. but in my opinion, they are not art.

so for me, it only takes and hour or so to change out activites, and look up a couple of songs for circle time. good storage is key, and so is laminating everything so it lasts longer.
countrymom 06:56 AM 01-24-2011
I love the prepackage stuff and bought mgt for a while, but its so expensive for me. I tried making my own, but i found that I had to do it the night before get everything ready. My kids are too young to decide what they want to do so I have to do it for them, but I love prepackaged stuff.
Unregistered 08:00 AM 01-24-2011
I really like Itty Bitty Bookworm! You can either purchase a CD or download the curriculum at a very affordable price. It focuses on a book each week and you can use it over and over again. I sometimes purchase the book of the week, if I don't already have it, or reserve it at my local library. It find it easy to substitute a similar book if necessary. I find this curriculum simple and easy to follow, and I can can change it around to suit our needs.
Blackcat31 10:56 AM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by DBug:
I do Funshine Express and LOVE it! I was thinking about Mother Goose because it looks awesome, so I'm surprised so many people don't like it. For me, it's just too expensive at this point. I've done my own curriculum before and it just takes too much time and I'm constantly running out to get more craft supplies, etc. The cost of Funshine is more than worth it for me (and I have the added shipping and customs cost of sending it Canada).

Not all of the parents appreciate it as much as I would hope, but I can see the progress the kids are making and I know prospective parents are very impressed by it during the interview. It also keeps our day structured and productive, which is good since I have a natural tendency to slack off .
If you save the curriculum books I have used them again before because each child gets somehting new out of it each time it is repeated since they are older the second time around. You just have to purchase the supplies yourself but the layout of the daily curriculum book is easy enough to repeat year after year.
I have also used Reach for the Stars curriculum where you purchase the CD and just print off what you need. Each day is laid out for you much like the Funshine Expres stuff...look into it and let me know what you think http://www.reachforthe-stars.com/rft...hoolthemes.htm
http://www.rftstoddler.info/
...I have Toddler and Preschool curriculums in all three series.
DCMom 05:05 PM 01-24-2011
I have used Funshine Express for years. They are on a three year rotation with very little change from year to year. For the first 6 years I kept all the curriculum books and a master of each of the projects; I note in the curriculum books the consumables that each project used (ie: pom poms, stickers, google eyes, whatever). I also keep one master copy of the letter, number, concept worksheets. Now I make my own copies from the masters and replenish the consumables as necessary. I also laminated the color/letter/number/calendar items and use the same ones from year to year. I use magazine files for each month to store them on a bookcase in my office; as each month rolls around I grab the file and start planning the month.

Over the years, as I run across other ideas I like, books that are theme specific, The Mailbox or Family Fun magazine (tons of great ideas in these!), etc. I file them with the curriculum. That way there are always fresh ideas from year to year without too much effort on my part.

For larger theme specific items, like plastic dinosaurs, fire prevention, holiday items, the butterfly hut, etc. I store those in clear Rubbermaid containers that are labeled by holiday or theme and store those stacked on a shelf.

It has taken some time to compile and organize it all (I've done this for 22 years!) but now curriculum planning take little or no time at all since it is right at my finger tips.

I hope some of these ideas help
momofthree 06:50 AM 01-25-2011
During quiet time I make my own curricullum/themes for the next week.

I put them together then I make a folder and I can use it again maybe next year.

I do filefolder games, colouring pages, crafts, songs and so on up.
the kids I have in care are two years and under.
DaycareMama 06:58 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by DCMom:
I have used Funshine Express for years. They are on a three year rotation with very little change from year to year. For the first 6 years I kept all the curriculum books and a master of each of the projects; I note in the curriculum books the consumables that each project used (ie: pom poms, stickers, google eyes, whatever). I also keep one master copy of the letter, number, concept worksheets. Now I make my own copies from the masters and replenish the consumables as necessary. I also laminated the color/letter/number/calendar items and use the same ones from year to year. I use magazine files for each month to store them on a bookcase in my office; as each month rolls around I grab the file and start planning the month.

Over the years, as I run across other ideas I like, books that are theme specific, The Mailbox or Family Fun magazine (tons of great ideas in these!), etc. I file them with the curriculum. That way there are always fresh ideas from year to year without too much effort on my part.

For larger theme specific items, like plastic dinosaurs, fire prevention, holiday items, the butterfly hut, etc. I store those in clear Rubbermaid containers that are labeled by holiday or theme and store those stacked on a shelf.

It has taken some time to compile and organize it all (I've done this for 22 years!) but now curriculum planning take little or no time at all since it is right at my finger tips.

Have you done the Buttercups? Is there something to do everyday?
jen2651 05:40 PM 03-24-2011
I am new to this and I am highly impressed to all those that do all their own curriculum. One question I have (and please don't take any offense to this) - my son did Funshine curriculum for 2 years and knows all his numbers and letters and colors etc. at the age of 3.5 (not from me...FANTASTIC daycare lady who closed; why I am starting!). Do you see similar type results with using your own curriculum? I agree with the poster who said they get sucked in to spending too much time...I can hardly decide what color to paint a wall without doing days of research!
kidkair 04:39 PM 04-15-2011
I did my own curriculum for quite awhile but had a hard time keeping up with setting it up because I was basically setting it up much like FunShine Express. A couple months ago I gave up and bought FunShine Express. I've been laminating and storing master copies so I can do the same stuff next year as well. The kids like it and the parents love the crafts. I like that it teaches the kids how to use different skills to organize the materials into a specific outcome. Then when they are in their art area during free play they can come up with some interesting stuff on their own. I have my daycare set up in the centers as they describe but don't do circle time or structured activities like they kind of have set up. I instead set up the centers and travel around the room with them during the day to discover everything new or old and introduce all the concepts like that. I want them to explore their world not just have everything handed to them.
SimpleMom 07:18 AM 04-18-2011
I have used Funshine Express and Carol's Affordable Curriculum. Both are really good
MommyMuffin 10:55 AM 04-18-2011
I like the christian supplemental curriculum from Funshine.
Unregistered 05:15 PM 06-12-2011
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
I recommend doing your own. When I was at my former center I had Highreach Learning. The first few years were great. Then it started to get repetitive. I eventually made my own.

You can get great information online. Plus check out your local goodwill/thrift store. I can't tell you how many great school book bargains I found.

It maybe overwhelming at first. But trust me: it's really easy!
How does one even get started....i have lots of stuff but not sure how to pull it all together...is there a book or website that shows us how to do it?
StarBriteLearning 11:25 AM 08-03-2011
The Star-Brite Learning Program is a monthly pre-packaged preschool curriculum. It is laid out each day, 20 days, with over 100 hands-on craft and learning activities. All of your instructions and paper/craft materials are supplied for you!
Cat Herder 10:26 AM 08-24-2011
Originally Posted by StarBriteLearning:
The Star-Brite Learning Program is a monthly pre-packaged preschool curriculum. It is laid out each day, 20 days, with over 100 hands-on craft and learning activities. All of your instructions and paper/craft materials are supplied for you!
It looks great but at $100 a month for 6 kids I don't think I can swing that.

45-60 take home projects a month is amazing, though.
mom2many 11:18 AM 08-24-2011
I used Home Preschool Program for many years. It was great when I was first starting out...simple and all of the materials and lesson plans came monthly.
I tried Mother Goose Time, but I didn't like it as well.

Now I use several websites...kids soup.com, enchanted learning, First-school.ws and DLTK are just a few of the ones I really like and use a lot! I have different themes for each month that correspond with seasons, holidays, etc. The kids love it!
StarBriteLearning 12:42 PM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
It looks great but at $100 a month for 6 kids I don't think I can swing that.

45-60 take home projects a month is amazing, though.

If you order online and use Coupon code 2045 you can receive 30% off your order!!! Or you can use coupon code 2253 each month to receive $5 off!....Half priced previous month programs are also available
Cat Herder 01:11 PM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by StarBriteLearning:
If you order online and use Coupon code 2045 you can receive 30% off your order!!! Or you can use coupon code 2253 each month to receive $5 off!....Half priced previous month programs are also available
Awesome!!! I just went over and peeked again..

I am going to grab one of the previous months kits.

What a great option for those of us who only have 6 kids, total, to cover costs!!

Thanks!!
Abigail 02:52 AM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If you save the curriculum books I have used them again before because each child gets somehting new out of it each time it is repeated since they are older the second time around. You just have to purchase the supplies yourself but the layout of the daily curriculum book is easy enough to repeat year after year.
I have also used Reach for the Stars curriculum where you purchase the CD and just print off what you need. Each day is laid out for you much like the Funshine Expres stuff...look into it and let me know what you think http://www.reachforthe-stars.com/rft...hoolthemes.htm
http://www.rftstoddler.info/
...I have Toddler and Preschool curriculums in all three series.
I'm going to do the same thing you did, save the curriculum for next year!

Originally Posted by DCMom:

Thanks for sharing everything you did to keep costs low and be creative! Do you have pictures of how you organize your totes? That sounds like you're very prepared.

I was on the Funshine Express site looking into the fireflies for preschool and buttercups for toddlers and the Christian Teaching Kits a few weeks ago and came across the 50% outdated months. 2 weeks ago it went back as far as JUNE, umm it was the end of NOVEMBER so it was 6 months worth of kits. I went over to see my friend's November kit (she bought a clearance one a year ago and hasn't used it, lol) and I was impressed with how organized it was. I logged on tonight as I'm trying to find good deals online for daycare things and thought I would look into the Funshine Express again.

Now they're 75% OFF! OK so I couldn't pass up and really want to do the months Sept-May (June ends the letter Z so I might do June too) and just have free summer with general crafts and learning experiences being outside more.

Even though I don't have ANY kids enrolled, I order September, October, November, and December for Fireflies for 12 kids....this will last two years without getting extra supplies. I ordered the FALL 2011 Buttercups which ties in with the Fireflies themes for September-November also for 12 kids. I ordered the 3 kits for the Christian Based Teaching also for 12 kids. Then added Fall Coloring pages....I can't print 96 pages that are all theme related for September-November for only $1.25!

So I got three months for 12 toddlers, four months for 12 preschoolers, 3 (months I'm guessing) for the Christian based teaching for 12 kids, and a set of fall themed coloring pages. Shipping was $16.99 for all of this and tax was $7.52 making my ENTIRE ORDER $157.99

NOW I normally wanted to create a curriculum by myself, but this I felt was a good price at 75% off and I've been too stressed lately trying to get my daycare up and running that I don't want to worry about the cost of a curriculum next year if I can't come up with something myself. I plan on ordering January-May come late summer next year when they go on clearance so I'll have the entire year. I just hope they don't go lower than 75% or else that is just that much more I could have saved.

Oh well, I thought I better be safe than sorry. I really want something to start September with and now I feel better prepared! The cost now seems overwhelming, but when you break it down it was only $1.82 PER CHILD PER MONTH for fireflies! Only 76 CENTS PER CHILD PER MONTH for buttercups! Only 49 CENTS PER CHILD PER MONTH for the Christian Based Kits.
Sunchimes 05:06 AM 12-15-2011
When do you guys start this stuff? My kids are 15/16 months old. I'm not doing anything organized. We look at books. They don't sit long enough for a whole story, but we look at pictures and talk about them. They can point to objects when asked, they are terrific at showing me how cows moo and dogs bark, etc. They can bring me some things when asked (the yellow pretty baby block, the ball, etc).

I really hadn't planned to do anything organized for at least 6 more months. Is that wrong? I never promised anything remotely related to a curriculum. We play, and I watch for teachable moments. But, since coming here, I'm realizing that I'm out of date and maybe parents expect 2 year olds that know the alphabet?
permanentvacation 08:32 AM 12-15-2011
I use Home Preschool Program at www.homepreschool.com. It's a 'cookie cutter' program, but it's simple and easy for me - everything that you will need is in the box - except sissors, glue and crayons! Each month has a major theme and minor theme. They teach a couple of colors, shapes, letters, and numbers each month. There's a good bit of crafts for the kids. I do, however, add to the program from other curriculum books and add in my own circle time and hands on learning activities such as games, puzzles, manipulatives, etc.
KBCsMommy 09:21 AM 12-15-2011
Ive used Star brite too. The kids seemed to really like it too.

The projects they send are pretty creative too. Nothing I could ever think of!!

And I think its less expensive than Mother Goose!!
daycare 09:32 AM 12-15-2011
wow this is a really old post....lol

I have in the past used Mother goose time....I don't care for it..

I have written my own and I loved it, but I can't do it when I am full. It takes way too much time, planning, shopping and my husband goes nuts that I am ALWAYS spending too much time out of daycare planning and shopping for it.

I subscribe to Clifford the Big Red Dog through Scholastic and it's ok, but it's a very small amount of stuff that is really just work sheets. I won't buy it again.

I have looked into doing Preschool First, as it has a great tracking system and it encourages learning through play, which I LOVE, but again I am shopping and planning all the time.

I just ordered a sample pack for $25.00 from Funshine Express and it should be here any day. I am hoping that this will work for us. I will be full again at the first of the year and I just can't keep doing my own curriculum. Especially now that my husband is home, he wan'ts my attention..

I know that several people use funshine express. Hopefully I ordered the right one, I got the one that was listed 3-5 yrs old.. Most of my kids are 2.5 and 4
Abigail 01:11 PM 12-15-2011
Daycare, you'll have to let me know what you think of it. I ordered a LOT, but at a good deal. I need to call now to finalize my order. YAY just placed my order. They were so nice over the phone and even told me my comments about their curriculum would be forwarded to their marketing manager as I asked about ordering in bulk for something...how nice. She said it will be sent out tonight or tomorrow and that I'll get a bunch of boxes....my very own Christmas Gift! LOL
daycare 04:40 PM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Daycare, you'll have to let me know what you think of it. I ordered a LOT, but at a good deal. I need to call now to finalize my order. YAY just placed my order. They were so nice over the phone and even told me my comments about their curriculum would be forwarded to their marketing manager as I asked about ordering in bulk for something...how nice. She said it will be sent out tonight or tomorrow and that I'll get a bunch of boxes....my very own Christmas Gift! LOL
oh you ordered funshine express too??

I am excited to get it too. I am so burnt out on doing it all alone...no more nights of cutting things out in front of the TV or while everyone is eating dinner.

I will for sure let you know what I think of it and how the kids respond to it. I am really hoping that its nothing like Mother goose time. That one stinks for ages 2-4. ALl of the projects are so cookie cutter, they could not do more than half of the art projects and its expensive.....lol ok I am done complaining....

hope we can compare notes
Abigail 04:19 PM 12-17-2011
I was too busy yesterday to come back on here, but I ordered the funshine for half the year, LOL, and the 90 pounds of boxes came the next day! I ordered them about 4 pm Thursday and they came at 2 pm Friday....I saw the UPS guy outside thinking "What the...?"

It took half hour to open 10 boxes. I like that the boxes are all the same size so they'll stack very easily. Everything comes really organized in clear bags that have the project name, what page it is from in the book, it lists the materials in the package and lists suggested materials, and how many kids it's for. I ordered for 12 kids for everything because at 75% off who could beat that?!

I could take pictures of some of the things, but I don't think they'd turn out really well. Most of the supplies included are things I can buy locally so I'm going to make sure to keep a list. In the book each day is one full page and when you turn the page it is the next day. It would take about 10 minutes to read through the page to prepare for the day. The craft projects seem to be about 2-3 per week for fireflies. I have not looked at the buttercups package yet or the Christian kits yet. Very little prep work for crafts though and I went through the month of December here and it's like cut string in half or cut paper in half and distribute to the children. They really could have had it all ready, but it's a prepackaged curriculum and it's never going to be perfect.

In the end, I love it so far! I will not be using it until September, but I will be going through it when I can and scanning things into the computer to save it. Lots of pre-cut things and some things that I will want to laminate. I'll wait on laminating since I don't have the whole year. I think I will still order the rest of the year when it goes on clearance and I can always add in a project here or there. What months did you order?
Abigail 04:27 PM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:

I will for sure let you know what I think of it and how the kids respond to it. I am really hoping that its nothing like Mother goose time. That one stinks for ages 2-4. ALl of the projects are so cookie cutter, they could not do more than half of the art projects and its expensive.....lol ok I am done complaining....

hope we can compare notes
All of these projects are things the kids do themselves with very little help from me. I'm happy about that. I think it said ages 3-5 but I think a 5 year old might be bored and want to be the "teachers helper" on the projects. JMO, but I would let a 2 year old do SOME of these as long as I was about to help them.

Some of the projects (make a candle) just require half a sheet of paper, a string to hang it from the ceiling--or tree--, and something that looks like a flame to be glued on. It seems simple enough. The best part is that they're creative. They add what categories according to preschool requirements that the project meets. It gives you questions to ask the kids while doing projects. It also gives creative instructions to make it a little better than a cookie cutter craft. Ex. I would have kids color the paper and glue on the flames and roll the paper up and then I would hang it up for them. The instructions for the project tell you to water down paint and use a spoon to drip lines across the paper to decorate it while it's in a cookie sheet and let it dry.....see how one little thing would really change the project? It seems neat. Hope you like yours!

Once you have the ideas infront of you, it's easy to change some to make additonal ones. The candle project would be just as easy to drizzle watered down paint across a toilet paper roll and use tissue paper as the flame....use the same technique but different items and still open ended questions. Hmm, can I have a month off just to play with all these projects? LOL
johnstephen1 04:00 AM 01-24-2013
Brite stars and Zoo phonics
Largemouthfrog 08:24 AM 01-30-2013
Here's a music resource that will fit with most curriculums.
www.largemouthfrog.net
It focuses on countries and animals from around the world with music.
Here is their latest music cartoon resource.
http://youtu.be/bw2nif3jt6w
Tags:carol's affordable curriculum, creative curriculum, curriculum, emergent curriculum, funshine, high reach learning
Reply Up