Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breasts ARE Sexual. (Because We Clearly Need This Talk)
youretooloud 08:43 AM 03-28-2013
Anybody who says "Breasts are not sexual" are either clueless or in denial.

Both men and women view breast as sexual, because they ARE. They just ARE.

Yes, they are also for feeding our babies. But, how much of our lives are spent like that? The rest is us looking at our boobs in the mirror, wondering if we should get lifts or enlargements.

Dropping your shirt in front of everybody JUST because you feel like you need to be "in your face because my baby needs to eat" is rude. It's just selfish, rude, and extreme.

A toddler doesn't NEED to be breast fed right then... you can say "let mommy finish her dinner, here's a turkey leg".

BUT if a mom IS breast feeding, and she's sitting down in a mall by herself, or in a lawn chair at a picnic, look the heck away... for crying out loud, turn around if it offends you and look away. There is NO reason for a mom to go sit in the car, or the dressing room unless it's the only way a baby will eat.

Those who don't want to see a breast feeding mom, LOOK AWAY, and get over it.

Nursing kids past the age of one is normal....there is no cut of age.

I think a breast feeding debate is AWESOME! Just not as a target against one or two members. Everybody has different feelings about it, and no one opinion is more right than others. In some parts of North America, people are more modest, in others, it's not unusual to breast feed in the middle of a church service. I think consideration for both sides is important.

Edited to add....that time life picture of the mom and the giant three year old WAS meant to shock, and turn on some people. It was extremely sexualized, and probably hurt the breast feeding movement more than anything.
just_peachy 08:56 AM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by youretooloud:

Yes, they are also for feeding our babies. But, how much of our lives are spent like that? The rest is us looking at our boobs in the mirror, wondering if we should get lifts or enlargements.

Dropping your shirt in front of everybody JUST because you feel like you need to be "in your face because my baby needs to eat" is rude. It's just selfish, rude, and extreme.

A toddler doesn't NEED to be breast fed right then... you can say "let mommy finish her dinner, here's a turkey leg".

BUT if a mom IS breast feeding, and she's sitting down in a mall by herself, or in a lawn chair at a picnic, look the heck away... for crying out loud, turn around if it offends you and look away. There is NO reason for a mom to go sit in the car, or the dressing room unless it's the only way a baby will eat.

I think a breast feeding debate is AWESOME! Just not as a target against one or two members. Everybody has different feelings about it, and no one opinion is more right than others. In some parts of North America, people are more modest, in others, it's not unusual to breast feed in the middle of a church service. I think consideration for both sides is important.

Edited to add....that time life picture of the mom and the giant three year old WAS meant to shock, and turn on some people. It was extremely sexualized, and probably hurt the breast feeding movement more than anything.

Is it okay to drop your shirt in front of everyone if you're truly naive of its "offensive" nature? I'm not being snarky. We have a high Hispanic population here and I have seen many-an-Hispanic boob.

I agree about the Time cover, I want to say to that lady "get over yourself, you airbrushed goddess, you..."

And lastly, I consider my whole darn body to be sexual, if you know what I mean, wink wink nudge nudge.

http://www.womansday.com/sex-relatio...s-zones-103643
just_peachy 09:04 AM 03-28-2013

I also want to make a more serious comment on this. Breasts are sexual. But unfortunately they are also disproportionately sexual-IZED. For me personally, I find this another reason to increase exposure to "the truth." I have a 5 year old and 7 year old boy. Both have seen me nurse, occasionally see me naked, and see my friends nurse fairly regularly. I am so grateful for that. They will grow up knowing what real boobs look like. I limit their exposure to "the perfect body." No Women's magazines laying around, no TV with commercials, etc. THESE are the things that should be stigmatized. Instead, they're idolized. That's wrong. And it began with the oppression of boobs. (Hmm, that's one of the strangest things I've ever said...) As soon as we began covering up Nature's boobs, Society's boobs busted out. (Oh man, the puns, I'm on fire.)

One of the reasons p-o-r-n can be so detrimental to so many marriages is because it sets up an unreal expectation of what a woman should be. We are using The Media and The Internet as our kids' learning tools and examples to what is normal.

So do I think breast feeding in public is more about just feeding your child? YES. I believe it's about bettering our future generation. Assisting our boys in becoming men of integrity, and assisting our girls in becoming free from oppression. It sounds so dramatic when I put it that way, but... it's what I believe.
youretooloud 09:04 AM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by just_peachy:

Is it okay to drop your shirt in front of everyone if you're truly naive of its "offensive" nature? I'm not being snarky. We have a high Hispanic population here and I have seen many-an-Hispanic boob.

And lastly, I consider my whole darn body to be sexual, if you know what I mean, wink wink nudge nudge.

http://www.womansday.com/sex-relatio...s-zones-103643
No...but, it's not offensive in the hispanic culture. But, if they were visiting Uncle Jed in South Caroline, and she was sitting down to their dinner table, and just pulled her tube top down below both breasts, then yes. (especially if it's an older child who can sit at the table and eat his own dinner)

There's a happy medium. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. If you don't know the crowd you are in, just be discreet. If you do know your crowd, and you know it won't make anybody uncomfortable, let loose.
youretooloud 09:09 AM 03-28-2013
I also want to make a more serious comment on this. Breasts are sexual. But unfortunately they are also disproportionately sexual-IZED. For me personally, I find this another reason to increase exposure to "the truth." I have a 5 year old and 7 year old boy. Both have seen me nurse, occasionally see me naked, and see my friends nurse fairly regularly. I am so grateful for that. They will grow up knowing what real boobs look like. I limit their exposure to "the perfect body." No Women's magazines laying around, no TV with commercials, etc. THESE are the things that should be stigmatized. Instead, they're idolized. That's wrong. And it began with the oppression of boobs. (Hmm, that's one of the strangest things I've ever said...) As soon as we began covering up Nature's boobs, Society's boobs busted out. (Oh man, the puns, I'm on fire.)

One of the reasons p-o-r-n can be so detrimental to so many marriages is because it sets up an unreal expectation of what a woman should be. We are using The Media and The Internet as our kids' learning tools and examples to what is normal.

So do I think breast feeding in public is more about just feeding your child? YES. I believe it's about bettering our future generation. Assisting our boys in becoming men of integrity, and assisting our girls in becoming free from oppression. It sounds so dramatic when I put it that way, but... it's what I believe.

I completely agree. I think breast feeding in public is very important. I just don't think it's necessary to expose both breast at one time when you don't know the person who is two feet across from you. But, sitting on the couch with your friends, no big deal. Sitting at taco bell at your own table, no big deal, sitting on the bench at the mall, no biggie....just use one breast at a time.
Evansmom 09:10 AM 03-28-2013
Breasts are sexual!

Hands are sexual!

Lips are sexual!

Legs are sexual!

Get over it people!!! We use ALL our body parts when we have sex (at least I do). So what!?

I can't hold my kids with my hands just because I also touch my husband with them?!

I can't kiss my kids with my lips because I also use them sexually?!?!

Please. Breasts are sexual AND utilitarian just like the whole rest of our bodies. Get over it. End of story!
just_peachy 09:14 AM 03-28-2013
I completely agree. I think breast feeding in public is very important. I just don't think it's necessary to expose both breast at one time when you don't know the person who is two feet across from you. But, sitting on the couch with your friends, no big deal. Sitting at taco bell at your own table, no big deal, sitting on the bench at the mall, no biggie....just use one breast at a time.
I think this is how MOST women do it. But the ones that don't are the ones that are talked about, sensationalized, and looked down upon/idolized. I agree, it's a bummer that all of us normal nurse in public-ers are looked over, and the very small minority that are intentionally flaunting, stereotypes the rest of us. Lots of "movements" start with acts of rebellion and eventually even out. I hope this is one of them.
bunnyslippers 09:19 AM 03-28-2013
My feelings on breast-feeding in public are:
If your baby needs to eat, feed your baby. Please don't leave your boob out there for everyone to look at. I don't want to see it, and I don't think it is necessary. If you cover your bare boob, people will still know you are feeding your baby, and you are still getting your point across.

I remember my first day of college, I was sitting in class. We all had to give one fact about ourselves, and one woman next to me said, "I am ___, and I am a lesbian." I remember thinking to myself, "Why does that have to be what defines her?" I am a firm believer that the world needs all kinds of people. I am also a firm believer that our beliefs - religious, sexual, child-rearing, etc. do NOT need to be the defining factor of who we are. I do not think I need to see another person's boob, sexual preference, or political views crammed in my face to educate me or anyone else.

Personal choices are, and should remain, personal.
CedarCreek 09:22 AM 03-28-2013
No...but, it's not offensive in the hispanic culture. But, if they were visiting Uncle Jed in South Caroline, and she was sitting down to their dinner table, and just pulled her tube top down below both breasts, then yes. (especially if it's an older child who can sit at the table and eat his own dinner)

There's a happy medium. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. If you don't know the crowd you are in, just be discreet. If you do know your crowd, and you know it won't make anybody uncomfortable, let loose.
That last part...I you.

youretooloud 09:31 AM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
I do not think I need to see another person's boob, sexual preference, or political views crammed in my face to educate me or anyone else.
I agree with that too.

I belong to a board (I never go there anymore) But, several mom's screen names are "Breastfeedingmom" or "Mark'swife" and I always think "Really? Mark's wife?"

When our kids were in sports, we all got a blinged out t-shirt from one of the moms that said "Jenni's mom" or "Sammi's mom"...it was a total joke but, we offended some woman who thought we were serious, and she went all "women's movement" on us. She kept saying "You should have your own identitiy!!! Your kids don't define you!!!" I was sure she want back to her SUV to make picket signs.
just_peachy 09:37 AM 03-28-2013
I agree with that too.

I belong to a board (I never go there anymore) But, several mom's screen names are "Breastfeedingmom" or "Mark'swife" and I always think "Really? Mark's wife?"

When our kids were in sports, we all got a blinged out t-shirt from one of the moms that said "Jenni's mom" or "Sammi's mom"...it was a total joke but, we offended some woman who thought we were serious, and she went all "women's movement" on us. She kept saying "You should have your own identitiy!!! Your kids don't define you!!!" I was sure she want back to her SUV to make picket signs.

I volunteer at my son's grade school every week. All the kids used to call me "Braedon's mom" but his teacher corrects them every. Time. I think it's cute they know me as Braedon's mom, and I think it's cute their teacher corrects them. It's all flattering to me.

Also, how awesome that all the team moms are so tight-knit! So fun!
AmyLeigh 09:40 AM 03-28-2013

Yes, yes, and yes.

How many who are offended by public breastfeeding are equally offended by the amount cleavage and breast tissue on the Bravo network? That is the dichotomy I see in my area. Young women are practically exposing their entire breasts in the name of fashion, yet when I nurse in public, it's offensive. Hmmm, really?
As a disclaimer, I never exposed myself, but rarely used a cover other than my shirt. That called less attention to us than if I used a cover. And I had only 2 accidental exposures in the 6 years of nursing. I have had more accidental exposures due to "wardrobe malfunctions" outside of those years.
Heidi 09:45 AM 03-28-2013
So where's the argument here? lol

Seriously, most people (but not most of us here) will let their kindergartner watch CSI or violent movies, but if 2 people are rolling around in the sand or a woman is breastfeeding, it's "Avert your eyes lest they bleed".

Messed up priorities, IMO
Heidi 09:49 AM 03-28-2013
This is a german soap commercial from the 70's. Can you imagine the outrage here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZfum30RWBI
dave4him 09:54 AM 03-28-2013
Okay um as a married male! I find it completely inappropriate to do right in public view, its an intimate moment between baby and mom. You kind of contradict yourself in your post anyway.
just_peachy 09:59 AM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by dave4him:
Okay um as a married male! I find it completely inappropriate to do right in public view, its an intimate moment between baby and mom. You kind of contradict yourself in your post anyway.
...did you even read any of the provided links? Nope, you already have your "beliefs" firmly in place. Married male, schmarried male. Many would disagree.
Crystal 10:01 AM 03-28-2013
...did you even read any of the provided links? Nope, you already have your "beliefs" firmly in place. Married male, schmarried male. Many would disagree.
hmmmm.....weren't you the one talking about "social blacklisting"? This thread was meant for MEANINGFUL discussion.....why would you intentionally "offend" like this?
Heidi 10:01 AM 03-28-2013
I don't think she's contradicting. I think she's saying "yes, breasts are sexual AND for feeding babies. We need to get over it"

If seeing a man's hands turns me on, should all men now have to wear gloves?

Just because you are married, doesn't mean you can't find other women attractive or even arousing. It's how you act on it that counts. If it's too enticing, then look away.

Or...as I say to my hubby "I don't care where you wet your appetite, as long as you eat all your meals at home"
dave4him 10:02 AM 03-28-2013
Same reason i wont let my daugthers out of the house in a shirt that shows too much breast is the same reason i dont like seeing mothers breast feeding in public. I happen to have that view.
bunnyslippers 10:03 AM 03-28-2013
And many more would agree. Jeeeeeeez Louise.
Crystal 10:04 AM 03-28-2013
Same reason i wont let my daugthers out of the house in a shirt that shows too much breast is the same reason i dont like seeing mothers breast feeding in public. I happen to have that view.

Hunni Bee 10:05 AM 03-28-2013
If your baby needs to eat, feed your baby. Please don't leave your boob out there for everyone to look at. I don't want to see it, and I don't think it is necessary. If you cover your bare boob, people will still know you are feeding your baby, and you are still getting your point across.

I remember my first day of college, I was sitting in class. We all had to give one fact about ourselves, and one woman next to me said, "I am ___, and I am a lesbian." I remember thinking to myself, "Why does that have to be what defines her?" I am a firm believer that the world needs all kinds of people. I am also a firm believer that our beliefs - religious, sexual, child-rearing, etc. do NOT need to be the defining factor of who we are. I do not think I need to see another person's boob, sexual preference, or political views crammed in my face to educate me or anyone else.

just_peachy 10:06 AM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
But... that's... the... whole... point of... oh, just never mind. I've already harmed my reputation enough.
youretooloud 10:12 AM 03-28-2013
I'm just saying that I respect that. I would hope that others would also, and not be all in your face with it. But, if you happen to pass someone sitting down and feeding the baby, just politely avert your eyes and say nothing.

But, if I KNEW that you felt that way, it would be selfish to force it on you.

I also know that you live in an area where it's not really acceptable. So, for that reason alone, i'd already assume most people there would appreciate if I was more discreet.
AmyLeigh 10:15 AM 03-28-2013

Could you expound on that a bit? Everything that defines who I am are related to my beliefs and worldview. Otherwise I am just a body moving through space. I'm not being snarky, really. I'm curious how can one define oneself without including their personal beliefs?
Sugar Magnolia 10:16 AM 03-28-2013
I never breast fed, wasn't for me. Also don't give a hoot what some moms do in public.
I'm.45 and my breasts are fantastic.
Thought this thread needed a little levity.
just_peachy 10:20 AM 03-28-2013
hmmmm.....weren't you the one talking about "social blacklisting"? This thread was meant for MEANINGFUL discussion.....why would you intentionally "offend" like this?
You're right, that was hypocritical. I apologize. I was just frustrated that he jumped in with a one sentence opinion seemingly without reading any of the previous rebuttles or informative links.
bunnyslippers 10:21 AM 03-28-2013
Of course I can elaborate on my point. I agree, personal choices are what define us as people. I do not, however, think that everything we personally believe needs to be announced for all to hear at every opportunity. I believe you can be firm in your own personal beliefs, but not need to proclaim them to anyone who will listen.

When I wrote about the woman in college who needed to immediately announce to the class that she was a lesbian, I should have explained why I was so turned off by that statement. I felt that she, as a person, probably had more interesting things to share then what she likes to do in a bedroom. That is personal information, and something that she didn't need to share in order for me to understand her personality. I think it is sad when someone becomes more about a cause than about being a human.
Country Kids 10:25 AM 03-28-2013
Heres my take on the whole breast issue whether feeding a child or just dressing.

I had a horrible experience with my first child while breastfeeding and was made to feel horrible about it by moms who breastfeed. I was told there was no reason a child couldn't breastfeed even though the lactacion specialist couldn't figure it out (why I was having such an issue).

I was shunned/kicked out of LaLeche league (still bad feelings 20 years later) because I couldn't nurse. A child was suppose to just eat, no one had ever had a child or heard of a child that wasn't able to nurse. Well here you go ladies-thats me and my child.

I was told by a very earthy older mom-isn't breastfeeding just the best-kinda orgasmic=

When I see people that pull it up and over the shirt or just bring it out in a public situation I always wonder who is watching that mom and thinking things that might not be appropriate while watching a mom nurse. I've seen moms do this during childrens story time at the library and who knows when the wrong person maybe sitting there watching this.

I know some nurse during interviews. You don't know these people from adam so how would you know if they aren't thinking sexual things while you nurse. Just ask (Meeko or Heidi) can't remember which that had the dad that hung out and wasn't such a nice guy. I can't imagine if she was a nursing mom at that time!

Believe me when I say woman need to be covered up whether nursing, dressing, being in a swimsuit or whatever. We would be appauld if a man ran around showing private areas and a man uses it for more then one thing.

I guess leave something for the imagination and something special for just you, your husband if nothing else. Not everyone needs to see what should be just for you/your husband and if you are a bf mom, leave that for a time between you and your baby. All women have them but it doesn't mean I need to see them. I know we have them, I know the functions of them but I don't have to have it affirmed time and time again.

Also, for the Hispanic culture breastfeeding. I would say that is definetly a younger generation thing. I have many hispanic relatives and know many hispanic ladies 5 years older then me and older and none of them would have openly bf in public and probably many not even around their husbands. I was told by many of them-not to be out of bed before 40 days after having a baby, no lifting my other children (the baby was 3 months old by then), and many other things that made me think-older women that did things much different then even my generation!

Please remember this is just my opinion and what I feel. Doesn't mean we can't have a very civil conversation. Also, our country is vast and what happens in one area doesn't mean it happens in another. I've seen this even in my own state and we have some pretty libral areas.
just_peachy 10:32 AM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Heres my take on the whole breast issue whether feeding a child or just dressing.

I had a horrible experience with my first child while breastfeeding and was made to feel horrible about it by moms who breastfeed. I was told there was no reason a child couldn't breastfeed even though the lactacion specialist couldn't figure it out (why I was having such an issue).

I was shunned/kicked out of LaLeche league (still bad feelings 20 years later) because I couldn't nurse. A child was suppose to just eat, no one had ever had a child or heard of a child that wasn't able to nurse. Well here you go ladies-thats me and my child.

I'm sorry you went through that, that's REALLY messed up. I'm sure that left an awful taste in your mouth, so more props to you that you're so accepting of today's nursing mom!
Country Kids 10:35 AM 03-28-2013
I'm sorry you went through that, that's REALLY messed up. I'm sure that left an awful taste in your mouth, so more props to you that you're so accepting of today's nursing mom!
I went on to nurse the next three-one for 4 months, one for 5 or six and the next one-1 year!!!!
allsmiles 10:39 AM 03-28-2013

I was told by a very earthy older mom-isn't breastfeeding just the best-kinda orgasmic=

When I see people that pull it up and over the shirt or just bring it out in a public situation I always wonder who is watching that mom and thinking things that might not be appropriate while watching a mom nurse. I've seen moms do this during childrens story time at the library and who knows when the wrong person maybe sitting there watching this.

I know some nurse during interviews. You don't know these people from adam so how would you know if they aren't thinking sexual things while you nurse. Just ask (Meeko or Heidi) can't remember which that had the dad that hung out and wasn't such a nice guy. I can't imagine if she was a nursing mom at that time!

Believe me when I say woman need to be covered up whether nursing, dressing, being in a swimsuit or whatever. We would be appauld if a man ran around showing private areas and a man uses it for more then one thing.

I guess leave something for the imagination and something special for just you, your husband if nothing else. Not everyone needs to see what should be just for you/your husband and if you are a bf mom, leave that for a time between you and your baby. All women have them but it doesn't mean I need to see them. I know we have them, I know the functions of them but I don't have to have it affirmed time and time again.

Also, for the Hispanic culture breastfeeding. I would say that is definetly a younger generation thing. I have many hispanic relatives and know many hispanic ladies 5 years older then me and older and none of them would have openly bf in public and probably many not even around their husbands. I was told by many of them-not to be out of bed before 40 days after having a baby, no lifting my other children (the baby was 3 months old by then), and many other things that made me think-older women that did things much different then even my generation!

Please remember this is just my opinion and what I feel. Doesn't mean we can't have a very civil conversation. Also, our country is vast and what happens in one area doesn't mean it happens in another. I've seen this even in my own state and we have some pretty libral areas.

exactly..
AmyLeigh 10:40 AM 03-28-2013
Of course I can elaborate on my point. I agree, personal choices are what define us as people. I do not, however, think that everything we personally believe needs to be announced for all to hear at every opportunity. I believe you can be firm in your own personal beliefs, but not need to proclaim them to anyone who will listen.

When I wrote about the woman in college who needed to immediately announce to the class that she was a lesbian, I should have explained why I was so turned off by that statement. I felt that she, as a person, probably had more interesting things to share then what she likes to do in a bedroom. That is personal information, and something that she didn't need to share in order for me to understand her personality. I think it is sad when someone becomes more about a cause than about being a human.
Thank you. Now that makes more sense to me. I have seen it happen, too. Sometimes we get so wrapped up defending our own choices that we go to extremes.
Jewels 10:52 AM 03-28-2013
I must say I think I get out alot, and I have NEVER yet seen a woman breastfeeding where I could see a boob, Never, I think most all women do it very discreetly, maybe a few don't, but most do. I'm all for breastfeeding, I loved breastfeeding, and I had to do it in public once in a while, completely covered, I am not modest in the least, but I'm still not going to just whip it out, and I have yet to see anyone do it, if I did, I sure would do a double take, like "did I just see that", breasts are sexual, but I Don't think they are sexual while feeding, just like a butt is sexual, but I'm pretty sure for most, its not while sitting on a toilet. I just don't see why this debate keeps coming up, are women really walking around all over the place with their shirts off nursing babies??
just_peachy 10:58 AM 03-28-2013
I went on to nurse the next three-one for 4 months, one for 5 or six and the next one-1 year!!!!

dave4him 10:58 AM 03-28-2013
Ill just smile, nod, and say, have you thought about switching to soy
just_peachy 10:59 AM 03-28-2013
Ill just smile, nod, and say, have you thought about switching to soy
NOOO not soy! You'll get me started on a whole new tangent!

I'm glad that a smile and nod is what you'd offer, not a scowl and a criticism, opposing views aside.
dave4him 11:03 AM 03-28-2013
Oh i always smile and moms with babies.... everyone needs a smile.
Country Kids 11:05 AM 03-28-2013
Believe me though, I think that is why I was concious of not being in your face with my bf. I would quietly go off to nurse, because I never knew if there was another mama nearby that maybe wasn't able to for some reason. I have also met mamas that did bf but hated it but felt that if they didn't they would be lectured on it.
EntropyControlSpecialist 11:07 AM 03-28-2013
I always see A LOT MORE boob from young women scantily clad than I do from breastfeeding mothers. I find popping out breasts to be offensive. I do not find feeding your child with your breast (sexual breast/baby feeder/whatever you want to call it) to be offensive at all.
Unregistered 11:10 AM 03-28-2013

Men use their genitals for peeing and sex. Why would they be running around with their junk out?
youretooloud 11:11 AM 03-28-2013
We would be appauld if a man ran around showing private areas and a man uses it for more then one thing.
I think it depends on where you live too...so, if you live on a tropical beach, you expect this....

But, I like my neighbor Dane... he's a nice guy. But, he needs to lose about 50lbs, and has more body hair than I think is normal...He's 55 yrs old, has man boobs, and hair from his shorts to his neck.

Sometimes he will come over to our driveway in nothing but P.J shorts. It's beyond offensive. When he leaves, the rest of us feel like we need a shower.
Heidi 11:14 AM 03-28-2013
I think it depends on where you live too...so, if you live on a tropical beach, you expect this....

But, I like my neighbor xxxx he's a nice guy. But, he needs to lose about 50lbs, and has more body hair than I think is normal...He's 55 yrs old, has man boobs, and hair from his shorts to his neck.

Sometimes he will come over to our driveway in nothing but P.J shorts. It's beyond offensive. When he leaves, the rest of us feel like we need a shower.
lol....why is my husband in YOUR neighborhood?

Seriously, he's not 50 lbs overweight, closer to 25, but he's practically the missing link.
Heidi 11:15 AM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Men use their genitals for peeing and sex. Why would they be running around with their junk out?
Yeah, I don't think anyone was suggesting public urination or sex... is ok.
just_peachy 11:15 AM 03-28-2013
Believe me though, I think that is why I was concious of not being in your face with my bf. I would quietly go off to nurse, because I never knew if there was another mama nearby that maybe wasn't able to for some reason. I have also met mamas that did bf but hated it but felt that if they didn't they would be lectured on it.
My son didn't latch for the first 6 weeks of his life. It was hell. We tried everything. We ended up using a supplemental nursing system, and eventually he just "got" it.

Then my best friend got pregnant, survived a ruptured uterus, (but barely, she flat-lined at one point,) and had troubles nursing. I kept telling her "you can do it, try this, there are ways, try that." She suffered from horrible PPD but didn't want to seek help or be on meds, cause of the pumping and attempted nursing she was doing. After many heart-to-hearts, it became clear that she had to take care of HER health first. It NEEDED to be a priority, for the sake of her child. She went on meds, pumped and supplemented for a year, and is doing great now.

I was so humbled after that experience. I can definitely see why the "in your face" nursers could cause so much pain to a non-nurser. I'd never thought of it that way before.
safechner 11:16 AM 03-28-2013
I am sorry everyone but I do agree with dave4him.

I breastfed both of my daughters when they were babies. I refused to do it in public because I felt it was inappropriate to front of people and kids. I am currently pregnant with my third child. Again, I will not do it in public. My husband feels the same way as dave4him feels. I don't need them to see my boobs or private area or whatever. If I see the mom nursed her baby in public and I looked it away but I make sure my kids didn't see them.

I refused to have naked front of my kids at all. They haven't seen my body since they were 20 months old. I feel it is inappropriate to front of my kids. However, my daughters learned that they will never show their body to anyone or family. They are very smart to cover themselves.

It is my personal choice... I don't tell mothers what to do or tell them go to private room or whatever...

I had mother group and there was one lady who tried to tell me about breastfeeding which is natural to do it in public. I refused to listen to her and I will NOT take her advice when she saw me that I looked away from her from the mall. That was a long time ago when my first daughter was an 8 month old.
LK5kids 11:41 AM 03-28-2013
All I have to say is the boobs in public view has not hit my area yet. Glad to have some advanced notice!!! IMHO boobs are sexual-hands are not....boobs please stay modestly covered.

I breast fed one child for a year and one for 2 3/4 yrs. Had no problem keeping them reined in!
Country Kids 12:11 PM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
We use ours breast for sex and feeding humans. Because we feed humans does that give woman the right to have them out in full view?
MNMum 12:15 PM 03-28-2013
My son didn't latch for the first 6 weeks of his life. It was hell. We tried everything. We ended up using a supplemental nursing system, and eventually he just "got" it.

Then my best friend got pregnant, survived a ruptured uterus, (but barely, she flat-lined at one point,) and had troubles nursing. I kept telling her "you can do it, try this, there are ways, try that." She suffered from horrible PPD but didn't want to seek help or be on meds, cause of the pumping and attempted nursing she was doing. After many heart-to-hearts, it became clear that she had to take care of HER health first. It NEEDED to be a priority, for the sake of her child. She went on meds, pumped and supplemented for a year, and is doing great now.

I was so humbled after that experience. I can definitely see why the "in your face" nursers could cause so much pain to a non-nurser. I'd never thought of it that way before.
I agree that for those mothers that have tried so hard to nurse and it didn't work it may be painful. But I don't agree that I should have to hide the fact that I am nursing a baby. That I should have to go to a bathroom to nurse or fitting room or wherever. Just because I may offend someone who tried and it didn't work. There are many couples out there that struggle with infertility. Does that mean that I should hide the fact that I am pregnant? Would it make me an "in the face" pregnant lady if I didn't hide my pregnancy, or my baby after it came? Nursing is often very difficult in the beginning and I have helped many mothers during these times. Sometimes it is very easy for both mom and baby. I don't think that fact should be hidden, so as not to offend someone, that would definitely not help the breastfeeding rates. Nor should we hide the fact that breastmilk is the healthier baby food.
Heidi 12:24 PM 03-28-2013
We use ours breast for sex and feeding humans. Because we feed humans does that give woman the right to have them out in full view?
Yep...it gives her the right.

I think covering a bit is nicer myself. It's a good compromise.

But, I don't think a woman should have to go hide in the dressing room, or worse yet, a bathroom. Gross! I wouldn't eat in a bathroom, why should some poor baby?
littlemissmuffet 12:30 PM 03-28-2013
Heidi... are the little peeps in your avatar wearing... BOOB HATS???!

HOW OFFENSIVE!

Crystal 12:30 PM 03-28-2013
I do not think anyone here has said a BF Mom should go to the bathroom to feed. Just being discrete, within reason, would be appreciated. It has been said we would prefer not to witness it at the dinner table in a restaraunt, with breasts in full view. The MOST controversial one has been the BF'ing of a preschooler and/or a toddler at the restaraunt dinner table, when, especially the preschooler doesn't NEED to be BF'd and could enjoy a meal of solid foods while BABY BF's discreetly.

I don't think that it is too much to ask that a BF Mom be considerate of others in public places.
MarinaVanessa 12:54 PM 03-28-2013
No...but, it's not offensive in the hispanic culture. ....
..Also, for the Hispanic culture breastfeeding. I would say that is definetly a younger generation thing. I have many hispanic relatives and know many hispanic ladies 5 years older then me and older and none of them would have openly bf in public and probably many not even around their husbands. I was told by many of them-not to be out of bed before 40 days after having a baby, no lifting my other children (the baby was 3 months old by then), and many other things that made me think-older women that did things much different then even my generation!.
In response to the hispanic thing ... I think it depends (just like everywhere else) on economics, region, class status, culture etc. ... and by culture I don't just mean ethnicity because there are cultures within cultures. My family is from Guadalajara Jalisco Mexico and they are middle and upper class families. Guadalajara is a large city and I have never seem a BF mom EVER when I've been there to visit. All of my aunts and cousins have excused themselves from the room to nurse and wouldn't even cover up with a blanket to BF, in their "culture" it's unaccepted ... it just isn't done. But I have gone to visit smaller towns nearby (for example Tototlan) and I have seen moms sitting on the sidewalks in front of their homes talking to friends and 2 or 3 of them were all breastfeeding, some covered some not.

I personally don't have a problem BFing in public but I personally preffer to cover up ... I don't feel comfortable showing my breast to people that I don't know. If I were with close family and even some close friends then I might not cover up but I would never pull out both breasts. I had family from Mexico visit and although I don't have a problem BFing in my home without covering up I would either leave the room if male family members were there or cover up when I was with females just so that they would not feel uncomfortable. I don't feel that it's my place to force someone to it just because of my personal choice.

Here at daycare I BF my DS openly in front of the DCK's but not before discussing this with all of my clients first... both the DCMs and the DCD's. Had ONE client have an issue with me BFing openly without covering up I would have not done so in front of their child but none had a problem with it and they encouraged it saying that it was natural and that they saw no problem with it. I also kept in mind and discussed the ages of the children. Had I had an older child 4+ that looked and snickered I would have stopped immediately (BFing without covering up). I also discussed with them that I would BF in front of the kids while covering up no matter what they felt or what their opinions over the matter would be... as in if someone had a problem with BFing then I would cover up but would still BF in front of the children ... they all assured me that was not necessary. I also explained that although I appreciated their openess and willingness to be ok with me to BF openly without covering up in front of the children that I WOULD NOT do so in front of the adults ... I just don't feel that comfortable around my clients to just pull out the boob and BF my child. The DCMs laughed and the DCDs blushed but were grateful .

I guess what I'm trying to say is that no matter what my personal beliefs are or for whatever reason why I choose to do or not do something it doesn't make it right for me to force it on someone who doesn't believe the same as I do. I go out in public and although I'm a huge advocate for BFing I know I feel uncomfortable being in public while someone openly has their boobie out even though I think BF is great. I feel uncomfortable and although I wouldn't say anything or judge that person I would turn and walk away wishing that I had not seen it. JMPO.
Unregistered 01:03 PM 03-28-2013
I bf my 2 boys and did it very discreetly and never showed my boobs off. I truly could careless about mother's who bf in public. I just look the other way.. no biggie.

But I did have a problem when I worked in my son's preschool classroom the other day and a mother who was observing the class for next years preschool class, had her 2 children (one who was going to attend next year preschool and a 2 yr old) when she just pulled out her boob in front of 20 preschoolers to feed her child. The topper was the child didn't want to feed the lady was trying to get her to sit still!
Blackcat31 01:05 PM 03-28-2013
I do not think anyone here has said a BF Mom should go to the bathroom to feed. Just being discrete, within reason, would be appreciated. It has been said we would prefer not to witness it at the dinner table in a restaraunt, with breasts in full view. The MOST controversial one has been the BF'ing of a preschooler and/or a toddler at the restaraunt dinner table, when, especially the preschooler doesn't NEED to be BF'd and could enjoy a meal of solid foods while BABY BF's discreetly.

I don't think that it is too much to ask that a BF Mom be considerate of others in public places.
That is the key word: Public

pub·lic [puhb-lik]

adjective
1. of, pertaining to, or affecting a population or a community as a whole: public funds; a public nuisance.

2. done, made, acting, etc., for the community as a whole: public prosecution.

3. open to all persons: a public meeting.

noun
1. the people constituting a community, state, or nation.

2. a group of people with a common interest, aim, etc

I think one person's beliefs should never supercede what the PUBLIC believes or thinks.

In public NO ONE group of people is right or wrong and our actions must be modified to fit into that public.
Heidi 01:06 PM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:

HOW OFFENSIVE!

Ach du lieber Gott!

Das sind die Mainzelmanchen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iotEroE6OE0

I don't know if they still do, but in Germany they used to play a half hour of commercials at a time (vs. breaking up shows) with little cartoons between to keep people interested.

Fond memories from visiting my Oma in Germany when I was little.

Heidi 01:14 PM 03-28-2013

FYI-I was not arguing for fully exposed breastfeeding. It just seems like per the usual (not just here, but in this country in general), we have to choose one or the other. One can breastfeed in public without flashing everything. Meets the baby's needs, saves others discomfort. It seems like good manners to me.

As for the toddlers/preschoolers. I agree. They do not NEED bmilk, except for comfort, perhaps, and at this point, mom should have a few other strategies in place.

Years ago we had a lady in church who still bf'd her 3 yo. Not my business. But when he is YELLING in church "Mommy...I want to nurse", and her answer is "Shush...M*, you are embarrasing me", it's maybe time to keep it for bedtime.

If it's embarrasing you, that might be a sign.
DCBlessings27 01:26 PM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:

HOW OFFENSIVE!

Speaking of which, we had people up in arms about this logo because they said it was reminiscent of a woman's breast. My husband, who designs stuff like this, said it was just a poor design.
Attached: Century2NewLogo.jpg (57.0 KB) 
DCBlessings27 01:33 PM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by safechner:
I am sorry everyone but I do agree with dave4him.

I breastfed both of my daughters when they were babies. I refused to do it in public because I felt it was inappropriate to front of people and kids. I am currently pregnant with my third child. Again, I will not do it in public. My husband feels the same way as dave4him feels. I don't need them to see my boobs or private area or whatever. If I see the mom nursed her baby in public and I looked it away but I make sure my kids didn't see them.

I refused to have naked front of my kids at all. They haven't seen my body since they were 20 months old. I feel it is inappropriate to front of my kids. However, my daughters learned that they will never show their body to anyone or family. They are very smart to cover themselves.

It is my personal choice... I don't tell mothers what to do or tell them go to private room or whatever...

I had mother group and there was one lady who tried to tell me about breastfeeding which is natural to do it in public. I refused to listen to her and I will NOT take her advice when she saw me that I looked away from her from the mall. That was a long time ago when my first daughter was an 8 month old.
My husband is conservative as well. If I don't grab a cami or tank to put under my shirts, he grabs one for me. My daughter (3yo) has seen me without clothes, but he will NEVER let our daughters see him without clothes. Our oldest got excited and wanted to show Daddy something the other day, and he shut the door really quickly (after she opened it) because she tried walking in on him in the bathroom.
AmyLeigh 01:41 PM 03-28-2013
Just out of curiosity, how many here have actually seen the "boob flopped out on the restaurant table" kind of scenario? Almost all of my relatives and friends who have children nursed their kids for a year or more, and I think I have seen maybe 2 occasions where they had been accidentally exposed (squirmy baby, usually). And that was either in a church nursing room, or at a private home, not in a public area. Zero incidents where it is purposeful, in your face, kind of exposure. And I have NEVER seen that with regards to strangers in restaurants, stores, etc.

I know that Nannyde has posted about her experience. Any others?

My point is, if it doesn't happen very frequently, why get all up in arms about it?
DCBlessings27 01:41 PM 03-28-2013
This is how I am. I vary how I am depending on my situation even in my own home.

If only my kids/husband or sisters are here, I don't cover up.

If my brothers/sils/friends are here, I cover up. Depending on the person, I'll even ask him/her if it's ok if I go ahead and feed my dd and let him/her know I'll cover up first.

If I'm somewhere (mall, department store), I'll go to a dressing room.

If I'm at a restaurant, I'll take milk I've pumped and use a bottle.
DCBlessings27 01:45 PM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
Just out of curiosity, how many here have actually seen the "boob flopped out on the restaurant table" kind of scenario? Almost all of my relatives and friends who have children nursed their kids for a year or more, and I think I have seen maybe 2 occasions where they had been accidentally exposed (squirmy baby, usually). And that was either in a church nursing room, or at a private home, not in a public area. Zero incidents where it is purposeful, in your face, kind of exposure. And I have NEVER seen that with regards to strangers in restaurants, stores, etc.

My point is, if it doesn't happen very frequently, why get all up in arms about it?
I've never seen a boob-flopped-out-at-a-table type of situation. The only time I've witnessed breast feeding without being covered was in a room dedicated to nursing at a theme park. Even there, I took my blanket and covered up. Others there did not. I just looked away, but I chose to use a smaller room that could only fit one person the next time I fed my daughter instead of the one with 5-6 other breast feeding mothers.
just_peachy 01:46 PM 03-28-2013

Exactly. I never have. My husband used to work in retail, and he witnessed it once at work. I have a well-endowed friend who has an in-your-face personality, and while we've all seen her breasts, in public she is much more discrete.
Heidi 02:00 PM 03-28-2013

YMCA when my son was a toddler.

Woman with 15-16 mo sitting on floor, watching her toddler play.

Toddler walks over, lift her shirt (no bra), takes a few "sips", drops shirt...goes back to play.

I think the way mom was being treated like a snack machine actually bothered me more than the "nudity". It didn't look loving, just handy.
MarinaVanessa 02:08 PM 03-28-2013

I've been at the park before with my DCKs and there was a mom there with her boobie hanging out while her infant nursed. The mom was walking around keeping eye on her 2-3 year old and her infant was about 3 months or so maybe. The baby kept unlatching and looking around and her entire boob would then be exposed. A DCD told his SA son to stop looking and ultimately left the park because of it. I just moved the DCKs over to the smaller playground away from the mom. The moms attitude was very "Jeez stop staring" when people looked over and made faces and when the dad and his son left she said "That's his problem".

I was at macaroni grill and a mom pulled her boobie out to BF her baby without a cover until (I think it was) her mom put a receiving blanket over her" The mom just laughed but kept covered. I had my back turned towards them and found about the mom BFing without covering up because the woman at a table next to us told her friend something like "Oh my gosh, look at that" and I glanced too.

At the mall this weekend we were at the kids play place (ours has a soft foamy play place for tots) which has soft benches all around the play place to enclose the kids in. There were 2 moms that were BFing covered and one there that was BFing but not covered. Kids were pointing and asking their parents what she was doing and one little girl asked why she had her boobie out. The parents did their best to keep it non-judgmental and just said that the the mommy was feeding the baby but you could tell that several of them felt uncomfortable. I took the kids to eat away from the play place and came back later after she had gone.

As far as the whole "if it doesn't happen very frequently, why get all up in arms about it?" I'm almost enticed to try to wear a thin, tight, strappy shirt and wear no bra under it. Maybe a white one on a nice hot sunny day. Then see what happens. Technically my boobs are covered and although people might be able to see my nipples protruding under the shirt and maybe my areolas through the thin fabric ... they are covered. If I do this 2 or 3 times a year it should be no problem right considering that it's not frequent . Sorry I know it's not apples to apples but i just had to crack a joke
AmyLeigh 02:17 PM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
As far as the whole "if it doesn't happen very frequently, why get all up in arms about it?" I'm almost enticed to try to wear a thin, tight, strappy shirt and wear no bra under it. Maybe a white one on a nice hot sunny day. Then see what happens. Technically my boobs are covered and although people might be able to see my nipples protruding under the shirt and maybe my areolas through the thin fabric ... they are covered. If I do this 2 or 3 times a year it should be no problem right considering that it's not frequent . Sorry I know it's not apples to apples but i just had to crack a joke
I get it. But considering what you are talking about is a very common style in my town, it made me laugh. Cami, no bra, pajama pants or boxers and slippers. Worn by women of all ages and sizes. I see that MUCH more frequently than a boob exposed to feed a child.
MarinaVanessa 02:21 PM 03-28-2013
I get it. But considering what you are talking about is a very common style in my town, it made me laugh. Cami, no bra, pajama pants or boxers and slippers. Worn by women of all ages and sizes. I see that MUCH more frequently than a boob exposed to feed a child.
Not so much in my town ... I'd be freaking out!!
AmyLeigh 02:24 PM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Not so much in my town ... I'd be freaking out!!
Yeah, SoCal is much much classier than we are!
Country Kids 02:28 PM 03-28-2013
Storytime at the library=mom pops it out over tank top and child have had it. Was at least a year old if not a little older. Made the daddys real uncomfortable. Has happened more then once with different moms.

My husband refuses to go to farmer markets/Saturday markets with me: really doesn't like seeing 4 year olds nursing. Neither does my 15 year old son.

The first time I saw a child being bf was in a restaurant and it has stuck with me for 33 years. I still remember the restaurant and announcing loudly "What is she doing?!"

I have seen more over the years but those all stick out in my mind the most.
Play Care 02:42 PM 03-28-2013

In truth I've only seen it a couple of times and both times it was my neighbor who is a LLL leader and lactivist. It was at a neighborhood party and made most of the people there uncomfortable - keeping in mind that all the women in my neighborhood breastfed at one point(including me!), so it's not like nonbf'ers who are "against" breast feeding. It was shocking to see her almost 3 yo walk up to her lift up her shirt and expose her whole breast.
Because of who she is/what she does, I know she knows it makes people uncomfortable and doesn't care. That's her right. But it also means invitations to neighborhood events are few and far between - of course I'm not sure if it's the boob shots or the fact her kids are hellions that most people leave them off the list.
Scout 03:06 PM 03-28-2013

you can say "let mommy finish her dinner, here's a turkey leg". Love this!!
mamac 03:24 PM 03-28-2013
I agree with this.

I also think that in this country we are much further "behind" other countries when it comes to nudity. It wasn't all that long ago that showing a bellybutton on television was taboo. Social nudity has evolved quite a bit since then but the majority of this country has still not accepted women who openly breastfeed in public. IMO, if these women were to "ease into it" and do it discretely without it being "in your face" then I believe that people would be more willing to accept it. When that happens it becomes the social norm and everybody's happy. The extremist approach seems to be harming the whole breastfeeding movement rather than helping it.

I'm all for breastfeeding a child, even in public, but it should be expected that people behave in a manner that is socially acceptable in regards to the time and place. It absolutely can be done discretely, and those who purposely choose not to, IMO, are doing so for entirely different reasons and it has nothing to do with the needs of their child. I see them as either having exhibitionist personalities or as people who are trying too hard to prove a point.

I also agree that a person's preferences when it comes to certain things should be kept private. I don't know why there was a need to start advertising on our cars who we prefer to have sex with. And, quite frankly, I'm annoyed that a rainbow, a symbol that many children are attracted to, is the also the symbol of the LGBT community. But that's an entirely different topic.
Kaddidle Care 04:03 PM 03-28-2013

I was shunned/kicked out of LaLeche league (still bad feelings 20 years later) because I couldn't nurse.
That is so sad that they, of all people treated you like that! I am pro-nursing but realize that it's not for everyone. Not everyone is shaped perfectly - I have a friend that has inverted nipples and managed to nurse with shields. Something LLL would have scoffed at. I give her so much credit. If she had said "No - I can't do this." I would have been fine with that. It's her choice.

The important thing is to love and feed your baby.

People CAN nurse discreetly and if the baby wiggles and accidentally exposes the Mom - oh well. I have no problem with that. I'm just not a fan of exhibitionists.
safechner 05:23 PM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by DCBlessings27:
My husband is conservative as well. If I don't grab a cami or tank to put under my shirts, he grabs one for me. My daughter (3yo) has seen me without clothes, but he will NEVER let our daughters see him without clothes. Our oldest got excited and wanted to show Daddy something the other day, and he shut the door really quickly (after she opened it) because she tried walking in on him in the bathroom.
I dont blame on your husband. My husband is the same way. He took a shower with me and our first daughter (3 months old) together a long time ago. He felt uncomfortable so he never do it again. He always locked the door whenever he takes a shower or going the restroom. I wouldn't let my daughters see me without clothes because I am SICK of my mother who has been without clothes when I grew up. That is why I am not comfortable. I think it is good example for my kids that they need to cover up no matter what...
snips&snails 09:48 PM 03-28-2013

Angelsj 05:21 AM 03-29-2013
I agree with that too.

You are passing judgement based on your own experiences and feelings about things here. If I choose to be defined as Mrs. ______ using my husband's name, I am still who I am and have my own identity.
For the record the "sj" at the end of my name is a recognition (granted not an in your face one) of my husband. Online, it connects us as a couple.
wdmmom 07:43 AM 03-29-2013
Not that my 2 cents is worth anything here anyways but here goes:

I think all people should be treated the same. I don't care if you are feeding your child or not, publicly displaying body parts that should otherwise be covered should be grounds for indecent exposure.

If you don't want to cover yourself or your child, do it inconspicuously or privately. If that means a bathroom stall or in your car of the Target parking lot before going in, so be it.

Sure all kids need to eat and you are providing them with great nutrients but is a public viewing really necessary? The answer is NO.

I don't care if you're in the mall, in the middle of church, in a job interview, in a daycare center, or at the neighbors, keep your stuff covered. Believe me when I say this...No one wants to see it.

I breast fed 2 of my 4 kids...not for long...but I did. At one point, I had no choice but to feed my daughter in the middle of a KFC. Did I plan on it? Of course not but she refused the bottle and the pacifier and I knew the only other way to settle her down was to give her a few minutes. I did...right there in the middle of a restaurant in the middle of lunch hour WITH A BLANKET. I was in the back of the restaurant so most were viewing my back anyway but that was key. I was more concerned about others and exposing myself than I was anything!

I didn't want other people to see my body. I didn't want others to be offended or lose their appetite.

The entitled parents of this generation that think we all need to sit back while a breast is exposed and not say anything are moronic. I am a woman. I may be bigger or smaller but either way, I TAKE OFFENSE to it and you bet your bottom I would be even more offended if you allowed yourself to be exposed while my children were present!

I don't allow parents to come into my home to breastfeed during breaks or lunches. I don't allow it during interviews either. Be discrete. If you know your child is going to need to eat prior to going holiday shopping, feed them. Don't stop in the middle of the mall to feed your 2 year old. Not only is it gross but if my children have to be exposed to it, you can guarantee I WILL say something!

Infants are another story. You never really can predict when they are itty bitty when they will want to eat. Just do it in a way that is acceptable and not in a way that people think it needs to be socially accepted.

Keep it covered.
MarinaVanessa 11:51 AM 03-29-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Not that my 2 cents is worth anything here anyways but here goes:

I think all people should be treated the same. I don't care if you are feeding your child or not, publicly displaying body parts that should otherwise be covered should be grounds for indecent exposure.

If you don't want to cover yourself or your child, do it inconspicuously or privately. If that means a bathroom stall or in your car of the Target parking lot before going in, so be it.

Sure all kids need to eat and you are providing them with great nutrients but is a public viewing really necessary? The answer is NO.

I don't care if you're in the mall, in the middle of church, in a job interview, in a daycare center, or at the neighbors, keep your stuff covered. Believe me when I say this...No one wants to see it.

I breast fed 2 of my 4 kids...not for long...but I did. At one point, I had no choice but to feed my daughter in the middle of a KFC. Did I plan on it? Of course not but she refused the bottle and the pacifier and I knew the only other way to settle her down was to give her a few minutes. I did...right there in the middle of a restaurant in the middle of lunch hour WITH A BLANKET. I was in the back of the restaurant so most were viewing my back anyway but that was key. I was more concerned about others and exposing myself than I was anything!

I didn't want other people to see my body. I didn't want others to be offended or lose their appetite.

The entitled parents of this generation that think we all need to sit back while a breast is exposed and not say anything are moronic. I am a woman. I may be bigger or smaller but either way, I TAKE OFFENSE to it and you bet your bottom I would be even more offended if you allowed yourself to be exposed while my children were present!

I don't allow parents to come into my home to breastfeed during breaks or lunches. I don't allow it during interviews either. Be discrete. If you know your child is going to need to eat prior to going holiday shopping, feed them. Don't stop in the middle of the mall to feed your 2 year old. Not only is it gross but if my children have to be exposed to it, you can guarantee I WILL say something!

Infants are another story. You never really can predict when they are itty bitty when they will want to eat. Just do it in a way that is acceptable and not in a way that people think it needs to be socially accepted.

Keep it covered.

Binkybobo 06:37 PM 03-29-2013
People keep mentioning that it is not such a big deal in other countries. Well, we are not in "other countries". Most of us are in the US. Where as it is natural for the beautiful ladies of Nat Geo to parade around letting it fly in the wind that's not going to fly here! I don't mind explaining to my 4 year old that a woman is feeding her baby with her boobies. She doesn't even have to have a blanket over the baby, as long as the baby's head is covering the nipple! There is no reason for the woman however to be sitting in the middle of the mall with boobies all out, and no baby attached. I think women should be discreet while trying to get the baby to latch and then lose the blanket if they like. I don't parade my boobies at home, and I don't want to see anyone else's. This ain't National Geographic! I am sure it is normal as I have seen on the same channel for men to have their penis out in certain cultures. It's not going to fly here. I don't want to see anyone's penis,boobs, butt, or vagina in public..end of story. 3 of the things I listed hep bring healthy babies into the world, but they are sexual, and I don't want to see them in public.
NeedaVaca 07:43 AM 03-30-2013
This is a picture of a women's clinic close to where I live- everyone called it Titty City lol I always thought it was hilarious-whoever designed this had to know what everyone was going to think!
Attached: womensclinic.jpg (57.3 KB) 
Crystal 08:39 AM 03-30-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
This is a picture of a women's clinic close to where I live- everyone called it Titty City lol I always thought it was hilarious-whoever designed this had to know what everyone was going to think!

Binkybobo 09:19 AM 03-30-2013
I honestly think that when it is a room full of women it is appropriate or in place to just whip em out. We are all adults and women. When I was breastfeeding al of the women in my family and close friends got a good look. If the baby we as hungry and I was with a group of women. I fed the baby. No cover, no discretion. I felt that I needed to cover when in the presence of stranger's children, young adult men, preteen boys, etc... In public really. There is nothing wrong with boys knowing you are feeding your baby and that's what boobs are for. You can show that without sitting around with your ta-tas in everyone's face. Even if you don't completely cover your boobs.
mamac 11:16 AM 03-30-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
About 12+ years ago when I lived in Florida there was a bar called "The Booby Trap" and was shaped and painted to look like a breast.
Tags:breastfeeding, breastfeeding debate, breastfeeding in public
Reply Up