Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Curriculum Fee At Daycare? Opinions?
lollipop101 06:30 PM 06-26-2013
I am interested in either using MGT or FunShine Express this coming school year for the kids in my in home daycare. The ages of the kids in my care this fall that would use the curriculum are PT 15 month old, FT 2 year old, PT 2 1/2 year old, PT 3 year old, PT twins 4 1/2 years. (only have 1 FT child)

If anyone has used either of these curriculums what are your opinions on each? Also, If I used Funshine should I order Buttercups or Fireflies? Ordering both would be too expensive so I would just order one for all of them but I feel Fireflies would be too old for my 2 year olds but Buttercups may be too young for my 3 and 4 1/2 year olds.. :/ Maybe MGT would be better for me but IDK if it is geared for the younger 2 & 3 year olds or not.

If I have 2 part time children can I order for one child from FunShine/MGT since both are only part time?

Do any of you that order a prepackaged curriculum do a curriculum fee? I have a few part time families and I was thinking of charging part time families $10/month and full time families $15/month. Thoughts?

Also, if I charged a curriculum fee, do you think it's fair to charge all families the same even if some families have more than one child?

Please don't give me a link to other questions like this. I posted this question because my questions aren't the same as others and I would love a personal response from a daycare provider I know I have a lot of questions but I would really appreciate it if one of you took the time to answer them
Unregistered 06:32 PM 06-26-2013
Originally Posted by lollipop101:
I am interested in either using MGT or FunShine Express this coming school year for the kids in my in home daycare. The ages of the kids in my care this fall that would use the curriculum are 15 months, 2 years, 2 1/2 years, 3 years, twins 4 1/2 years.

If anyone has used either of these curriculums what are your opinions on each? Also, If I used Funshine should I order Buttercups or Fireflies? (both would be too expensive) What ages is MGT geared towards?

Do any of you that order a prepackaged curriculum do a curriculum fee? I have a few part time families and I was thinking of charging part time families $10/month and full time families $15/month.

Also, if I charges a curriculum fee, do you think it's fair to charge all families the same even if some families have more than one child?

Please don't give me a link to other questions like this. I posted this question because my questions aren't the same as others and I would love a personal response from a daycare provider
when I used MGT I used to charge a 20.00 curriculum fee each month...then I stopped using it and slightly raised my rates to cover my own self made one....No one had any issues paying the additonal $20.00 I only charged it for children over 3 and up
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 06-27-2013
I am interested in either using MGT or FunShine Express this coming school year for the kids in my in home daycare. The ages of the kids in my care this fall that would use the curriculum are PT 15 month old, FT 2 year old, PT 2 1/2 year old, PT 3 year old, PT twins 4 1/2 years. (only have 1 FT child)

If anyone has used either of these curriculums what are your opinions on each? Also, If I used Funshine should I order Buttercups or Fireflies? Ordering both would be too expensive so I would just order one for all of them but I feel Fireflies would be too old for my 2 year olds but Buttercups may be too young for my 3 and 4 1/2 year olds.. :/ Maybe MGT would be better for me but IDK if it is geared for the younger 2 & 3 year olds or not.

If I have 2 part time children can I order for one child from FunShine/MGT since both are only part time?

Do any of you that order a prepackaged curriculum do a curriculum fee? I have a few part time families and I was thinking of charging part time families $10/month and full time families $15/month. Thoughts?

Also, if I charged a curriculum fee, do you think it's fair to charge all families the same even if some families have more than one child?

Please don't give me a link to other questions like this. I posted this question because my questions aren't the same as others and I would love a personal response from a daycare provider I know I have a lot of questions but I would really appreciate it if one of you took the time to answer them
I have used Funshine before. I think the Fire Flies is a lot more advanced than it needs to be. I ordered it for my 3-5 yr olds and only my 5 yr olds were able to do ALL the craft work themselves. Not many of them were that skilled with scissors and most the arts/craft projects required ALOT of input on my part.

IF I were to order it again, I would probably order the Butter Cups version and just modify it for anyone too advanced for the activities.

Either that or I would order BOTH for each of the age groups. It makes more sense to me to do it that way as you can't really force that big of an age group to blend without a little adaptation to either Fire Flies or Butter Cups.

I also just did the activities and crafts on the days they were suppose to get done and didn't worry too much about whether my part timer's were there that day or not. That's one of the perks of being full time....you don't miss anything. kwim?

I personally wouldn't charge a curriculum fee but if I did, I would charge PER child.

I stopped using FunShine as it became costly as well as task-heavy on MY part.

Now with my state (Minnesota) implementing QRIS/Parent Aware for child care providers we have to use a curriculum that is pre-approved and FunShine Express does not meet those requirements.

I know you said your questions are different and not to post links to other threads about curriculum but you really should take the time to read those threads, they have a wealth of knowledge, input and information in them.

.....and your questions are pretty much exactly what everyone else has already asked....

...........so the other threads about this topic could be very helpful.
Unregistered 08:55 AM 06-27-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have used Funshine before. I think the Fire Flies is a lot more advanced than it needs to be. I ordered it for my 3-5 yr olds and only my 5 yr olds were able to do ALL the craft work themselves. Not many of them were that skilled with scissors and most the arts/craft projects required ALOT of input on my part.

IF I were to order it again, I would probably order the Butter Cups version and just modify it for anyone too advanced for the activities.

Either that or I would order BOTH for each of the age groups. It makes more sense to me to do it that way as you can't really force that big of an age group to blend without a little adaptation to either Fire Flies or Butter Cups.

I also just did the activities and crafts on the days they were suppose to get done and didn't worry too much about whether my part timer's were there that day or not. That's one of the perks of being full time....you don't miss anything. kwim?

I personally wouldn't charge a curriculum fee but if I did, I would charge PER child.

I stopped using FunShine as it became costly as well as task-heavy on MY part.

Now with my state (Minnesota) implementing QRIS/Parent Aware for child care providers we have to use a curriculum that is pre-approved and FunShine Express does not meet those requirements.

I know you said your questions are different and not to post links to other threads about curriculum but you really should take the time to read those threads, they have a wealth of knowledge, input and information in them.

.....and your questions are pretty much exactly what everyone else has already asked....
  • what age group to buy for
  • opinions on the curriculum
  • costs/provider or parent paid

...........so the other threads about this topic could be very helpful.

I also live in Minnesota and I didn't know that the curriculum has to be pre-approved. Is MGT pre-approved?
lollipop101 08:57 AM 06-27-2013
The above question was mine, I didn't realize I wasn't logged in.
Blackcat31 09:25 AM 06-27-2013
The above question was mine, I didn't realize I wasn't logged in.
Here is what the aligned curricula is for our state: (Welcome to the forum.....neighbor )

Teaching and tracking tools are an important part of the Parent Aware rating. Certain curriculum tools are aligned with the Minnesota Early Childhood Indicators of Progress and are approved for use.

Aligned preschool curricula:

Aligned infant/toddler curricula:

lollipop101 05:35 PM 06-27-2013
So I can't use MGT?
My3cents 10:25 AM 06-28-2013

Funny sometimes I like it went links are posted and sometimes I want a real person to answer too in the here and now.

I see nothing wrong with asking your parents to pay a monthly curriculum fee. If they say no then plan to pay it yourself. I wouldn't want a child to miss out because the parent is not going to pay.

I personally am planning to get it myself. I figure I would spend that much money in supplies anyhow. I will still get supplies but I am thinking maybe not as much with MGT (the program I am planning to go with) I also plan to add to this program my own flare because I like doing that.

Personal choice. You know your families best.

I would break it down to how many kids and the type of program you are going with and then ask that amount. I would not charge less for part timers. They might turn into full timers and I would just stay with a price that works for everyone.

For new kids that come in the future I may start charging a monthly fee. Where can you get a preschool program for twenty bucks or less for your child, unless you do it yourself at home- It is worth it to the parents. I know I would have paid the fee for my child if asked. When you add it up it does seem expensive until you add up what you would have gone out and bought and the convenience of having it all laid out and ready to go for you

Being new to using one I am going to eat the cost this year, but next year I might charge. Weigh it out and decide what will work best for your group.

I am looking forward to trying MGT and hope it works out well for my group. If not I will be back to doing my own program and my own program was not bad at all, just time consuming.

I see what your saying about wanting to do the two different age groups. I think I would want to stay with one program or the other. MGT seems to have a neat program for the younger crowd that seems to go along with the older group but geared toward the little littles. I am planning on just getting the reg program and I can down size myself to include the babies that do best with mostly play. If I have a young child that shows interest and is able to keep up then I will just put that child in with the other kids.

Good luck and welcome to the forum, can't wait to hear post of how it working out for you and everyone else come September. Well yes I can wait.....don't want to wish summer away-

best-
Blackcat31 09:03 AM 07-01-2013
So I can't use MGT?
You CAN use Mother Goose if you choose to but if you are participating in Parent Aware then Mother Goose would NOT be an accepted curriculum.

HTH
lollipop101 04:24 PM 07-08-2013
Thanks for all the advice I ordered MGT for September a few days ago and I was just wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to ship and if I will get an email?

Also, does anyone who has used MGT know if it comes with a monthly book list to get from your library like Funshine does?
Tags:curriculum, curriculum - websites, funshine express, mgt, mother goose time
Reply Up