Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Affordable Curriculum
gbcc 01:26 PM 01-03-2010
I saw a post for funshine express but they seem a bit expensive for me right now. Does anyone use another program that might be cheaper but have the same quality? Thanks
originalkat 05:48 PM 01-03-2010
I have not researched all of them...but the mail order packaged curriculums seem to be about the same in price($60.00 for 6 kids/ month). I would check out Letter of the Week curriculum (google it) for free online. Also, there is Itty Bitty Book Worm. They have two age groups. It comes on a CD and is about $30 or Download for $20 a month. It is Literature based which I'm sure you could get the books from the Library.
GretasLittleFriends 07:20 PM 01-03-2010
Not sure about your local library, but our branches have what they call "Storytime Kits". They have many different topics alphabet, dinos, pets, ocean, penguin... 84 total kits available. There are a few that have 2 kits, like the seasons and holidays. These kits all have a 3-ring binder with fingerplays, craft ideas, and coloring pages. They also have at least 4-5 books on the topic. Then it's not that hard to go online and use google to find more information to go with the topic. They're wonderful oh, and free!!

Honestly though, I don't do a preschool curriculum. My kids' schedules don't line up so having a set schedule for preschool just doesn't work for me.
mac60 03:43 AM 01-04-2010
I would never pay the price they want for a pre made curriculum. The internet is free and with a little time planning out and researching, you can come up with your own preschool curriculum. That is what I do. I have a few websites I really like and just take it from there. Much much cheaper than a paid curriculum.
originalkat 05:46 AM 01-04-2010
Our library has about 25 kits. In fact I just checked out the Snow box. This one had 4-5 books, a puzzle, a stuffed snowman, and a book on tape. How great would it be to have a binder with fingerplays, crafts etc... That really is a free curriculum!! I am grateful for what we have but it could be improved on and serve the community much more!
SimpleMom 12:45 PM 01-04-2010
Carol's Affordable Curriculum is a good non-expensive one I've used. It covers all of the basics and gives a project or worksheet every day. Everything is pre-cut and prepped for you. They charge only by the number of kids requested and you can order for older/younger children as well as regular vs. Christian curriculum.
gbcc 03:17 PM 01-04-2010
I will look into that. Thanks
momma2girls 04:58 PM 01-04-2010
Originally Posted by littlesunshines:
Carol's Affordable Curriculum is a good non-expensive one I've used. It covers all of the basics and gives a project or worksheet every day. Everything is pre-cut and prepped for you. They charge only by the number of kids requested and you can order for older/younger children as well as regular vs. Christian curriculum.
I looked under here, but couldn't find any samples of what you all get in each package.
Unregistered 08:26 AM 01-05-2010
I have tried most of the curriculums out there over the years. Ultimately It was worth the money to me to purchase Funshine Express. The detailed lesson plan book and all of the materials make it so easy to use as a framework for our day. Its good to know that even when my life is busy and I have -0- time for prep I have a built in proven system and materials ready. I do supplement it with other materials, including easier alphabet pages for my younger kids that I download at free sites, or once a year membership sites like Enchanted Learning. I pay $25 per year and have unlimited downloads of everything from alphabets and numbers to Spanish and mini-books. I know cost is always an issue, but Funshine offers fabulous "propaganda" pages to use during interviews and to give parents that really help you ask for the parents to contribute to their childs learning. Most decent families will pay the $10 per month it averages out to, knowing their child is in a childcare setting that is superior in curriculum and structure to other daycares. Their are plenty of sites you can download off of, or purchase access to monthly themes cheaper, but by the time you pay for ink and paper, and the huge time investment, you still wont have the total package you'd get buying decent curriculum, and you will have spent more.
AGC Preschool 07:39 AM 02-29-2012
I have a licensed home childcare with plans of expansion. I am trying to find a curriculum that I can use that does not have all the supplies for each child. This is why the other curriculums are so expensive. I just want a plan to go by and ideas. I can purchase the supplies myself. I worked at a church preschool for 4 years so I still have my lesson plans that I am using from that curriculum. I am simply re-writing my plans and coming up with other projects by googling stuff. If you sit down and think up some themes and do the letter/number/color of the week, you could really create your own curriculum.
gbcc 05:15 AM 03-01-2012
I found a great book that I have been following and using as a guideline! It's called WE CARE A Preschool curriculum for Children Ages 2-5. Written by Bertie W. Kingore and Glenda M. Higbee.

It divides the months up and then within the months has different concepts.
For example we just finished Feburary curriculum and it was divided as

Health and Nutrition:
Concepts
Art
Blocks
Bulletin Board
Cooking
Language Arts
Math
Movement
Music
Science

Valentines:
Same concepts as above

Famous People and Birthdays:
Same Concepts listed

Care of Pets:
Same Concepts listed

They give some ideas for things but then I add my own crafts etc that I research just by google!
daycaremom88 05:13 PM 03-05-2012
As a very busy daycare provider, I have enough time that I spend filling out paper work for the state, and food program that I think the Funshine Curriculum is a perfect solution. I have 7 children that do it and I purchase it 3 months at a time. I ask the parents to pay $10-$12 a month which is $4 a week that pays for the curriculum and most of the supplies we need. And they enjoy paying it because each month has a theme and a wide variety of activities that I would never think up myself. If I didn't find this wonderful curriculum I'd still be sitting trying to plan activities each night for hours and hours. So for a small cost it to simplify my job a little bit.
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:33 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by gbcc:
I found a great book that I have been following and using as a guideline! It's called WE CARE A Preschool curriculum for Children Ages 2-5. Written by Bertie W. Kingore and Glenda M. Higbee.

It divides the months up and then within the months has different concepts.
For example we just finished Feburary curriculum and it was divided as

Health and Nutrition:
Concepts
Art
Blocks
Bulletin Board
Cooking
Language Arts
Math
Movement
Music
Science

Valentines:
Same concepts as above

Famous People and Birthdays:
Same Concepts listed

Care of Pets:
Same Concepts listed

They give some ideas for things but then I add my own crafts etc that I research just by google!
I just bought that from Amazon a few weeks ago! It does have a lot of ideas, and can be used as a regular curriculum, after you determine what your particular group needs work on. Problem for me is, I had already started my own, finding and making up my own activities for each week, so most of the themes listed for each month, I have already used this year, or sometimes no one (including myself) is very interested in that theme. But if you haven't already done most of the typical themes, this might be a good one for you, OP. It was only about $7, I think. (I bought it used, but in excellent condition on Amazon.com). Another one I love (but it doesn't have enough themes in it for the entire school year) is "The Complete Daily Curriculum for Preschool" (most of these themes are one week long) and "The Complete Resource Book for Preschoolers" (these themes are two weeks long). I usually take ideas out of them, and add my own twist to it. But it can be used as it is written. Example, Sometimes I just think my group already has the math (for example) listed for that day down pat, so I put my own twist in it, to add in something they still need work on. I LOVE it when I find a theme in these books that I want to do, because it is SO easy to just take it and go. Plus they have a BUNCH of finger plays, songs, and games in the back that children LOVE.
New Provider 09:19 AM 07-14-2013
Sounds like you have tried the trial and error concept with daycare curriculum, is there anyway that you can send me a copy of what you have so I can develop a curriculum myself and get more insight from some that has already have had years of experience. I am a new daycare provider. Please Help!!!!!!!!!!
Starburst 03:04 PM 07-14-2013
Try looking on Pintrist, it has lots of interesting and free curriculum ideas. Also New provider, consider becoming a registered member and joining the "Providers in Training" group (both are free).
MarinaVanessa 09:52 AM 07-15-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
Try looking on Pintrist, it has lots of interesting and free curriculum ideas. Also New provider, consider becoming a registered member and joining the "Providers in Training" group (both are free).
Yes this.

Also a VERY inexpensive curriculum is Preschool Palace. It's a curriculum for 3-5 year olds that only costs like $10 for the whole year (no summers). It's a cheap way to start off (they used to be free but just started to charge) and it's a download so you get it immediately.

This can work as a guideline for you to help you get started and then you can change any of the activities and difficulty levels to suit your DCK's needs. This is how I do it anyway. It's a good starting point then I use free activity ideas from pinterest and other websites to replace activities that I don't like or that I feel the children won't like.
LK5kids 11:49 AM 07-15-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Yes this.

Also a VERY inexpensive curriculum is Preschool Palace. It's a curriculum for 3-5 year olds that only costs like $10 for the whole year (no summers). It's a cheap way to start off (they used to be free but just started to charge) and it's a download so you get it immediately.

This can work as a guideline for you to help you get started and then you can change any of the activities and difficulty levels to suit your DCK's needs. This is how I do it anyway. It's a good starting point then I use free activity ideas from pinterest and other websites to replace activities that I don't like or that I feel the children won't like.

This is awesome! Thanks!
sunlight 06:36 AM 07-17-2013
My favorite preschool curriculum is Early Start Fun Learning. It is pre-packaged. In my busy daycare with mixed age groups it just works for me. It is about $45 a month and I buy for two age groups. The 2-3 and the 4-5. It is not quite as "pretty" as Funshine Express but it is cheaper, and shipping is super affordable. It contains everything needed. It even contains evaluations and updates for parents, a monthly news letter, recipe etc. In the past I did try downloading from the internet and found great sights that offered that. But, the cost of ink to print everything every month was not cost effective.

One of my daycare moms is a preschool teacher for Head Start and they use Creative Curriculum. All that is is a large book with ideas and what my state requires for curriculum. They still have to plan each and every lesson, and provide all the supplies for it. It is still worth looking at for ideas!

Best wishes in your choice!
Jack Sprat 01:32 PM 07-23-2013
I just ordered Early Start. It was the cheapest that I saw, and like another poster said its cheaper then printing everything. Excited to get it started.
iluvlearning 03:59 AM 08-28-2013
It is so hard to find a curriculum that is not expensive. I looked and looked. I tried most of the ones out there. Then last spring, I found a new curriculum called Gee Whiz Education. It is very affordable and delivered via the web. I really like that I can print what I want and view what I want on the computer. I also like that now I only have to buy one curriculum for all my ages (infants-school-age). There are lots of great curriculums out there but I really like this one a lot. Good luck!
Tags:curriculum, funshine express
Reply Up