Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Looking Into A Center Not Home Based
kat11218 01:36 PM 09-16-2013
Hey everyone. My name is Kathy and I've been a Kindergarten teacher in South Jersey for 10 years. I had my son last year and chose to stay home with him as long as possible. We are looking into a day care center not home based business and would like any suggestions on what we would need PHYSICALLY to start up. In terms of furniture, equipment, etc. I have read and understood the spacing, ratio requirements but would like someone who is doing this to tell me some must haves besides the obvious tables, chairs, and cubbies. ie I forgot about nap mats for each child until I sat and began a list.

Also, do you use a packaged curriculum or your own mix.

Do you have employees? Assistant? I will have so many more questions as I think of them and I really appreciate any and all guidance.
Margarete 01:59 PM 09-16-2013
What age group are you looking at serving? That will affect equipment, and curriculum quite a bit.
Blackcat31 02:27 PM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by kat11218:
Hey everyone. My name is Kathy and I've been a Kindergarten teacher in South Jersey for 10 years. I had my son last year and chose to stay home with him as long as possible. We are looking into a day care center not home based business and would like any suggestions on what we would need PHYSICALLY to start up. In terms of furniture, equipment, etc. I have read and understood the spacing, ratio requirements but would like someone who is doing this to tell me some must haves besides the obvious tables, chairs, and cubbies. ie I forgot about nap mats for each child until I sat and began a list.

Do you have employees? Assistant? I will have so many more questions as I think of them and I really appreciate any and all guidance.
Welcome to the forum!!

Hopeful this will be a very helpful place for you!
kat11218 02:43 PM 09-16-2013
Ohhh thats how you quick reply. LOL
I would like to serve infants through school age and eventually include Kindergarten which would entail a whole new set of rules I'm sure.
Either way,we are looking for a building that would house multiple rooms, even if they do not fill early on. In NJ, the process begins with the building. But if I find a suitable building, I'd like to begin soon after closing on it.
I've begun to develop a handbook and schedules from various sources.
I am looking to compile a list of items that every student will need so I could determine a startup/registration fee.
Trying to put together all of the info to make sure this will eventually be a profitable endeavor and not one that will have us lose money continuously.
Thanks for the quick replies already!
preschoolteacher 05:09 PM 09-16-2013
Look into your state's requirements for equipment. In MN here, we have a list of required items (crib/cot for each child, high chair for each baby, etc.) and a list of suggested items (toys, games, activities). This will vary from state to state.
Laurel 06:04 PM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by kat11218:

If I were you, I'd visit some centers to get ideas.

Laurel
Tags:curriculum, day care center, supplies
Reply Up