Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>W-9 Form Tax Question
safechner 09:32 AM 03-12-2014
It is not related to daycare but I dont know what else should I do. I am working on taxes. My husband and I won the case from school district that federal court ordered them to pay us and I paid to IEE (Independent Evaluation Education). My Lawyer told us that we must give them the form because they asked us to and I argued to my husband that we are NOT working for school district but we have to. My husband gave his w-9 form with his name, address, and his ssn to them. Do we have to report it on our income? Please help!
TomCopeland 10:19 AM 03-12-2014
Originally Posted by safechner:
It is not related to daycare but I dont know what else should I do. I am working on taxes. My husband and I won the case from school district that federal court ordered them to pay us and I paid to IEE (Independent Evaluation Education). My Lawyer told us that we must give them the form because they asked us to and I argued to my husband that we are NOT working for school district but we have to. My husband gave his w-9 form with his name, address, and his ssn to them. Do we have to report it on our income? Please help!
I don't know enough of the details of your situation to accurately answer your question. However, the general IRS rule is that you must report as taxable income any money you receive, unless there is a rule that says you don't have to report it. So, if the school district gave you money, it's taxable income, unless there is some rule that says differently. I don't know what it means when you say you paid this money to IEE.
safechner 03:04 PM 03-12-2014
A few years ago, we were supposed to file a due processing hearing against school district but they filed it first. We won the case but they refused to pay IEE that I hired two of them who works with my special needs daughter. They appealed so they dont have to pay right away. In 2014, the school district decided not to appeal anymore after federal court ordered them to pay the legal fees and IEE fees. The school district paid it to us so I paid to two IEE that they owed to them.

About IEE, maybe you could understand what I mean. Here is the information:http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/test.iee.steedman.htm
TomCopeland 02:47 PM 03-14-2014
Originally Posted by safechner:
A few years ago, we were supposed to file a due processing hearing against school district but they filed it first. We won the case but they refused to pay IEE that I hired two of them who works with my special needs daughter. They appealed so they dont have to pay right away. In 2014, the school district decided not to appeal anymore after federal court ordered them to pay the legal fees and IEE fees. The school district paid it to us so I paid to two IEE that they owed to them.

About IEE, maybe you could understand what I mean. Here is the information:http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/test.iee.steedman.htm
If the school district was supposed to pay the IEE directly, but ended up paying you so you could pay the IEE, then I think this is probably not income to you. However, I could be wrong. If you want to follow up on this, call me at 651-280-5991.
Tags:form w-9, w-9
Reply Up