Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Curriculum
TXhomedaycare 11:38 AM 06-23-2015
I recently decided that I would like to use a curriculum instead of putting everything together myself. I ordered a sample from the learning box and now have received offers from a ton of other curriculum companies. It can be pricey but I like the idea of getting everything I need sent to me but I am overwhelmed with all the options. I have a 1 year old and 4 year old and once daycare is over I can spend more time with my babies. I have 6 full time boys - 3 preschool age and 3 toddler age. I was thinking about doing it for both the toddlers and the preschoolers along with the christian one we use. Does anyone have any curriculum suggestions?
midaycare 12:01 PM 06-23-2015
I have used both Funshine Express and Mother Goose Time. I like them both but Mother Goose Time just worked better with the kids I have right now.

It's expensive, but I don't want to waste my free time planning.
Blackcat31 12:04 PM 06-23-2015
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
I recently decided that I would like to use a curriculum instead of putting everything together myself. I ordered a sample from the learning box and now have received offers from a ton of other curriculum companies. It can be pricey but I like the idea of getting everything I need sent to me but I am overwhelmed with all the options. I have a 1 year old and 4 year old and once daycare is over I can spend more time with my babies. I have 6 full time boys - 3 preschool age and 3 toddler age. I was thinking about doing it for both the toddlers and the preschoolers along with the christian one we use. Does anyone have any curriculum suggestions?
Here's a free one if you act quickly...

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78009
Annalee 12:12 PM 06-23-2015
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
I take pieces of many curriculums and pick my own themes for the month. In the past, I have purchased funshine, mother goose, etc...but can't bring myself to pay anymore. I really liked funshine but didn't seem to use all that come in the box.

I am a play-based home child care so I set my learning centers up each month to meet what I will be talking about...i.e. in September we begin preschool and I will have an apple market, farm animals with barn set up in block area, and an All about me theme (not sure what dramatic play will go with that yet).

The books, displays in the room will go along with the themes as well. As for letters, shapes, numbers, etc...these are throughout my daycare room always. I do not drill or flashcard the kids but we learn through hands-on experiences.

The art center is all free expression as well except for the crafts we do for holidays. The manipulative center is changed monthly as well but does not necessarily meet the themes. We do calendar, weather, etc. each morning as a group but most learning takes place through the child's choice. I interact individually and in groups as the opportunity arises.
stephanie 05:27 PM 06-23-2015
At my last center we used Creative Curriculum and I really liked it. They have separate curriculum sets for toddlers and preschoolers, but in my experience the toddler art projects/activities were more suitable for preschoolers, I often modified them for my toddler class.

The Creative Curriculum has one master kit with some supplies and then 12 monthly kits-divided into 4 weekly themes per month- with different craft ideas and templates, large muscle activities, etc., and books and fingerplays all related to the week's theme.

Sorry I don't know anything about the cost since I worked in a center and didn't have to buy it myself.

HTH
MarinaVanessa 07:15 PM 06-23-2015
Preschool Palace is only like $10 or something and it's a complete 10 month curriculum but mostly it's just the plans and some posters, songs etc. that comes with it. You don't have to spend the time planning but you will still have to make copies and gather materials.

Let me know if you think something like this would work for you.
mamamanda 07:31 AM 06-24-2015
You mentioned you do a Christian curriculum. If that's something you're interested in, check out hubbardscupboard.org. They have a free curriculum or for $10 you can order it all put together for you & ready to print. You have to print it, but its planned out for you.
Controlled Chaos 12:57 PM 06-24-2015
I like to assemble my own. I was a teacher for 5 years in the schools, so I like assembly a lesson plan There is so much on the Internet - each time I plan to the next month I just Google (this month was bugs) "Insect math prek" or "bug books" or "bug sensory bins" and there is so much to choose from! This is my first year with set monthly themes, but next year I will have it all assembled for the most part. I even make a spotify list of songs that go with our theme for dancin...gotta dance! I would be happy to email you my yearly plan if you like.
Play Care 01:28 PM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Preschool Palace is only like $10 or something and it's a complete 10 month curriculum but mostly it's just the plans and some posters, songs etc. that comes with it. You don't have to spend the time planning but you will still have to make copies and gather materials.

Let me know if you think something like this would work for you.
I LOVE preschool palace. Years ago when it was free I printed out everything offered and kept it. Reuse it often
Funshine came with so much STUFF. And because it was pricey I felt guily about not using it all. I still have some of the things that came in the kit. My own kids were about 2 and 3 at the time - their 9 and 10 now. Not sure I'll use it
Lperry2124 01:01 PM 06-27-2015
Does anyone know the approved curriculum for Maryland? I know when I lived in Fl the Dcf website had a list of different one but I can't find Maryland thanks in advance
Tags:curriculum
Reply Up