Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>High Reach Learning. Anyone Use It??
SunflowerMama 05:36 AM 03-27-2010
I'm also in that group looking for a curriculum to implement (I've been trying to do things on my own but there are just so many resources out there it's actually overwhelming ).

I've checked out Mother Goose Time and FunShine Express and both look like good programs but a bit pricey and a lot of cookie cutter crafts which I'm not a huge fan of.

High Reach Learning looks great and I love all the resources it includes for the parents so they can see what we're doing each month. And it's around $50/month and covers all ages!

Anyone have any opinions on the program or use it with your dck?
Former Teacher 06:11 AM 03-27-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
I'm also in that group looking for a curriculum to implement (I've been trying to do things on my own but there are just so many resources out there it's actually overwhelming ).

I've checked out Mother Goose Time and FunShine Express and both look like good programs but a bit pricey and a lot of cookie cutter crafts which I'm not a huge fan of.

High Reach Learning looks great and I love all the resources it includes for the parents so they can see what we're doing each month. And it's around $50/month and covers all ages!

Anyone have any opinions on the program or use it with your dck?
Hey Twinmama

I used to use HRL YEARS ago. I really don't recommend it in my profession opinion. Maybe they have changed it though.

When I first started at my former center 19 years ago I needed help (being I was only 17 years old!) Anyway the director got this for me and it was great. However I had it for maybe 4-5 years (I don't really remember), and the program repeats ALOT. So I just told the director to save the money and I will develop my own, which I did.

There are endless sources out there. You can find things on the internet, library etc. Yes it does take some time but once you have a set schedule it is easy! In fact I am using the curriculum/routine for 1 boy as I did for 18 kiddos!

If I recall (could be wrong, yes I know it happens! ) you are in TX. Do you have a local Half Price Books? That's another place you can check out. That's where I get most of my teacher books plus I get gifts (books) for only $1.00 for the boy I care of.

But as for HRL, in my opinion I just think you are better off either paying the extra or making your own.
Unregistered 06:31 PM 04-07-2014
My friend's grand daughter is in a day care that uses HR. I'm frustrated with it because I can't find out from anyone what she's learning and will she be prepared properly for K. I used Handwriting Without Tears, as requested by the school district we were in, and Letter People. The songs with Letter People are great! The HWT curriculum is great for getting little ones writing. My preschool kids always tested in high percentiles when they were tested for K entrance.
Heidi 11:19 AM 04-08-2014
I tried it a couple years ago. I'm not really a "curriculum" person, though, so it was kind of a waste for me. I only did a few of the activities, then termed my oldest kids and started over with infants.

The toddler curriculum is a waste of money, but I thought the mixed age/preschool stuff was pretty good. You could really buy one year's worth of stuff and use it over and over.

They do align with many of the Model Learning Standards, so if your state is going in that direction, great.

I used HR years ago, too, like PP. It has changed a LOT since then!

If it were me, I'd order one month and see what you think.

It is NOT a highly programmed curriculum, and not a cookie-cutter deal, either. They have a general theme for the month, book suggestions, and activities with some "craft" type stuff, but not a ton, and you can customize them to fit your style.
Bookworm 06:44 PM 04-11-2014
I use the old High Reach. About 2-3 years ago, they went from an "academic" curriculum to a touchy-feely one. I saved all of of the worksheets and teacher books so I just print them off as needed. See if you can get a sample to help your decision.
Maria2013 09:43 AM 04-29-2014
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
There are endless sources out there. You can find things on the internet, .
I agree, I can find just about anything that I'm looking for, but most of the pages I would like to print, call for a membership Fee, which I'd be ok paying if I knew which site to subscribe to

can someone please help me pick one of these sites?
Tags:curriculum, high reach learning
Reply Up