Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Handwriting Without Tears!
MissAnn 06:42 AM 10-08-2011
Just wanted to share this. I just purchased this curriculum....I just picked the items I wanted. Very hands on with manipulatives. You need to go to the sight and read through it.....too much to explain here. I can't wait to get started with it! Adaptable for 3 years old and up.

hwtears.com
blueclouds29 07:04 AM 10-08-2011
The daycare i last worked at used it and i LOVED IT!! I loved the wooden peices where the kids can put them on the laminated letters! That was cool! Also the Mat Man always got their attention too, they loved him!
You'll love it!
snbauser 11:22 AM 10-08-2011
This is the program our public school uses. I purchased some parts like the wooden letter pieces used last spring. Just last week I purchased the workbooks for all of my 4 year olds and we are going to begin using them as soon as they come.
MissAnn 09:33 AM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by blueclouds29:
The daycare i last worked at used it and i LOVED IT!! I loved the wooden peices where the kids can put them on the laminated letters! That was cool! Also the Mat Man always got their attention too, they loved him!
You'll love it!
I didn't get mat man....I just don't "get it".....will 4 and 5 year olds like it....and what does it teach?
blueclouds29 10:11 AM 10-10-2011
4 and 5 year old will def love mat man! It teaches body awareness, drawing, and counting. If you go onto handwriting without Tears website they'll explain everything and there's even a video to watch of a teacher presenting it to her students.
Crystal 08:00 PM 10-10-2011
wow.....what is wrong with emergent writing....why does everything have to be so complicated???
MissAnn 04:47 AM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
wow.....what is wrong with emergent writing....why does everything have to be so complicated???
This is a very cool curriculum.....uses all the senses and is very hands on. I'm not buying the workbooks because I just don't feel this is the best way for children to learn. I am buying the hands on materials and the CD that uses music and the body to form letters.
MissAnn 05:15 AM 10-11-2011
Another thing I really like about this curriculum is that each letter (whether with the wood pieces, the playdough, writing on chalkboard or writing on paper) is created in exactly the same way. Step by step to encourage correct letter formation and to reduce poor habits. I'm just really excited about it! It's amazing how fast even my young 3's are catching on.
melskids 06:53 AM 10-11-2011
i use the wood pieces (my hubby made for free ) the chalkboards (i found at a yard sale) and many of the other activites from handwriting without tears (which ive also made homemade). i dont use worksheets , or workbooks, but they like the hands on manipulatives.
MissAnn 08:00 AM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
i use the wood pieces (my hubby made for free ) the chalkboards (i found at a yard sale) and many of the other activites from handwriting without tears (which ive also made homemade). i dont use worksheets , or workbooks, but they like the hands on manipulatives.
Very neat that your husband did that for you. I know I spent money where I didn't need to. I could have laminated sheets with the letter formations to use with the playdough....but I bought the cards and the tray. For me the hard part is trying to reteach what some of my new kids have learned (at home). I am also reteaching the parents so they will reinforce what they are learning here.
daycare 08:56 AM 10-11-2011
I have not gotten into this program but it seems very cool... I am one that like to offer various ways of learning. Not all children learn the same way and what will work for some children, may not work for others...

I am attening their online webnar that they will be having later this month. Excited to see what its all about!!
MissAnn 09:00 AM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have not gotten into this program but it seems very cool... I am one that like to offer various ways of learning. Not all children learn the same way and what will work for some children, may not work for others...

I am attening their online webnar that they will be having later this month. Excited to see what its all about!!
I should do the webnar too. Is there a cost? I also love the "prompts"....

magic c, up like a helicoptor, back down, bump
daycare 09:07 AM 10-11-2011
NO cost, I can forward you the email I got about it if I did not already delete it. I think its supposed to be OCT 25....
daycare 09:10 AM 10-11-2011
In this webinar, we'll suggest some strategies that you need to think about as you start your handwriting tutoring business, like:

Start up costs
Marketing
Design of each session
Teaching tools, strategies, and activities
Rate setting

http://www.hwtears.com/sites/default...10%2F10%2F2011http://www.hwtears.com/sites/default...10%2F10%2F2011
dave4him 11:54 PM 10-13-2011
Interesting.... didnt know its normal for them to write backwards at first too. Good.
Tags:curriculum, handwriting without tears
Reply Up