Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Own Curriculum: Got Tips?
athomemommy 06:15 AM 10-31-2011
Hey everyone! thinking about making my own curriculum. Got any tips?
Michael 02:57 PM 10-31-2011
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=curriculum
hoopinglady 06:48 AM 11-04-2011
taking into consideration what is realistic in your particular environment, what you can afford, age groups (mixed or separate curriculum?), your personal beliefs or values and of course research and developmentally appropriate practices.

I'd spent a good amount of time a few months ago designing a lovely curriculum. It is play based but still produces some products for the parents (which they may or may not care).

Because of resources (money) and general disenchantment (with parents) I have not implemented it yet.

In theory, it's really awesome though.

I personally have to get some of the more practical aspects together before trying again.

All that said, if you are interested in a play based program, I can share it with you. Maybe you could try it and give results, lol
Mrs. CC 08:40 AM 11-04-2011
Thank you for asking this because I am working on Curriculum too. I have only part timers though, so am having a hard time figuring out what would work best for our schedules.

Can't wait to see what is shared!
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:21 PM 11-07-2011
Originally Posted by hoopinglady:
taking into consideration what is realistic in your particular environment, what you can afford, age groups (mixed or separate curriculum?), your personal beliefs or values and of course research and developmentally appropriate practices.

I'd spent a good amount of time a few months ago designing a lovely curriculum. It is play based but still produces some products for the parents (which they may or may not care).

Because of resources (money) and general disenchantment (with parents) I have not implemented it yet.

In theory, it's really awesome though.

I personally have to get some of the more practical aspects together before trying again.

All that said, if you are interested in a play based program, I can share it with you. Maybe you could try it and give results, lol
You have created your own curriculum, and not used it on your own children yet? Wow! If I wasn't making stuff up for my group, there's no way I would be spending all this time coming up with my own curriculum for the year
Does your's have typical themes like farms, zoo, transportation, community helpers, fire safety, etc? And you say it's play based? I would be happy to test drive it for you with my group! Seriously, though, I would love to see it and try it with my group if you really were offering to share it! I'm SO tired of spending hours (yeah, honestly hours) every weekend and every evening trying to come up with my own curriculum....
hoopinglady 04:56 PM 11-07-2011
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
You have created your own curriculum, and not used it on your own children yet? Wow! If I wasn't making stuff up for my group, there's no way I would be spending all this time coming up with my own curriculum for the year
Does your's have typical themes like farms, zoo, transportation, community helpers, fire safety, etc? And you say it's play based? I would be happy to test drive it for you with my group! Seriously, though, I would love to see it and try it with my group if you really were offering to share it! I'm SO tired of spending hours (yeah, honestly hours) every weekend and every evening trying to come up with my own curriculum....
I'm easing into it. I have done some stuff, about half of it. If you do it then I'll do it too, haha, it'll be the kick in the butt that I need and we could compare notes. A curriculum buddy to get me on the ball.

It isn't themes.

I have free play in typical centers. I have a few themed centers and activities hoping that would eventually lead into a more emergent curriculum after I get our schedule going.

Themed centers:

science
magnets for example. Set up a center with magnet provocations. Post photos and notes and see how it evolves. The one I used was inspired by this. I would (in theory leave it up for a month). Another month would be something like a (homemade) light table

dramatic play:

prop box that would (in theory) evolve over the month. Start with basic props that are relevant to your kids. I tried beauty shop and it flopped. Gotta be ready to be flexible. (I haven't decided how I feel about prop boxes at the moment...I'm still conflicted on that one)

Books:

A themed book display (in addition to regular story times) using books from the library. October, for example would be books about being afraid. I'd post any conversations that arose

Sensory tubs (2):
change weekly or so

For daily activities, I set up a schedule like this:

Monday: art/drawing (pastels, chalk, markers, etc...)
Monday PM: cooking (we all make a simple recipe together)

Tuesday AM: science experiment (usually something I'd do FOR them and would spark conversations...we did the baking soda/vinegar as well as the wintergreen lifesavers/diet coke reactions.

Tuesday PM: Planned music/movement activity or game (I'm sure you have a ton of these up your sleeve)

Wednesday AM: Art-glue/collage
Wednesday PM: Montessori inspired manipulative or practical life lesson (leave it out on shelf for exploration throughout the week)

ThursdayAM: Guided craft or puppet making (typically something seasonal and a bit more product based like an autumn wreath or something)
Thursday PM: blocks- Add an open ended prop to block area and leave out for week (colored plastic cups were a good one)

Friday AM: Art/paint
Friday PM: Large motor game

Pretty awesome huh?

I would say that I don't think the themed center need to be relevant to one another at all that they would cover a large scope of stuff and I kind of dig that.

It leaves a lot of room for developing outside projects (or sparking them). This is just a jumping off point.

Of course you'd plug in your own activities that are appropriate for your group.

There's other stuff involved in terms of documentation and displays but I suppose that's personal preference.

Oh, also I had a list of circle time prompts. So, along with our regular routine, I'd add a conversation prompt and chart or record it. I got most of these ideas from Mimi Brodsky Chenfeld's Creative Experiences for Young Children. Things like playing different insturments' music and asking how does it make you feel or think or move.

Thanks for having me type it out. I feel a bit more inspired now.

Edited to add: I would plan it and make supply lists seasonally, three months at a time.
melskids 03:30 AM 11-08-2011
I'm a fly by my pants kinda gal. I can't over think things or it bogs me down, so I pretty much make it all up as I go along.

I do save everything, either in binders, or in computer files, that way, if the topic comes up again, ideas and resources are there. When you have ADD, organization is KEY.

I am play based too.

The only time we have "themes" is when we are learning about a specific topic, and sometimes we have more then one topic going at a time. Themes don't always match the season or months either. We've studied butterflies in the winter, and snowmen in the summer before. We don't make spiders and pumpkins just because its halloween. It's all about what interests the KIDS, not my agendas.

Also, I don't always make every area about that theme, because I think it really limits the kids learning, and imaginations. For example, I would never tell them "no, you can't play with the bears and lions, because it is dinsosaur week" or they may still play with the kitchen, even though I've set up a post office.... that sort of thing.

Like I've said before, art is my thing. So art is always available, and is ALWAYS open ended. We never to "crafts" or projects which all look the same. Now, a finished product may look similar, as more then one child may be exploring the same medium, but its always their choice to do so. (ex....yesterday I set out indian corn, large sheets of butcher paper, and paint, so 2 children decided to roll and print ending in similar results, but other mediums are still available...like crayons, stamps, clay, that sort of thing)

The rest of the areas are always available and can either follow the theme, or a specific task we are working on. (Blocks, dramatic play, music & movement, sensory table, cooking, math, science, fine motor, ABC center, library, writing, etc.) The kids come and go throughout the areas as they choose.

There aren't always alot of "papers" to send home, as we don't do "crafts" or worksheets, so documentation is key. I take ALOT of pics to share on FB, in portfolios, and documentation boards I hang around the room. I always make sure to stress what the children are learning through their play.
Mrs. CC 06:02 AM 11-08-2011
ok I am small and home based.

My DCKs are all part time:
12 months
18 months
2.5 years old
and my two who are 6 months old and 3 years old

Would you still have the open ended stations I read about? Would you leave the art out and available? How do you teach your kiddos how to do this? do you request special clothing from the parents?

Thank you for answering my questions! I appreciate it!
hoopinglady 07:08 AM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Mrs. CC:
ok I am small and home based.

My DCKs are all part time:
12 months
18 months
2.5 years old
and my two who are 6 months old and 3 years old

Would you still have the open ended stations I read about? Would you leave the art out and available? How do you teach your kiddos how to do this? do you request special clothing from the parents?

Thank you for answering my questions! I appreciate it!
I tell everyone upon enrollment to wear play clothes. Everything is washable but...just in case.

I integrate the toddlers slowly into the open art area.

You have a young group so it's a good chance to teach them properly.
Preschool/daycare teacher 07:57 PM 11-09-2011
Wow, Hoopinglady! That sounds so FUN! I'd imagine your children would love it! I'm not sure how it would work for me, this year at least, since I do a themed curriculum. Plus we're in a state rating system, and in order to move up to the next level, they have to look over my curriculum and the way I do things to make sure I do it the "right way" (lol, the way the professionals say is best. And one of those things is to base it on themes). I kind of enjoy doing themes with them, though, because each week or every other week (however long the theme lasts) it's all new stuff to them. It seems to connect everything together (like glue ). But that's for me, with my specific group. Who knows what my group will be by next year. Half of them will be going to Kindergarten next year, so half the group will be all new children. Each new batch (lol) seems to require an all new way of doing things.
But, goodness sakes, you seem to have so many really neat ideas for your children. You definitely need to go for it and implement it in your group!
daycare 08:26 PM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by athomemommy:
Hey everyone! thinking about making my own curriculum. Got any tips?
my tip would be keep it simple and keep it based off of play...No work sheets...

Also dont stress if you cant get it done....What I mean by this is that if you have a daily list of things to accomplish and you don't, don't sweat it. Do it tomorrow.

Also, let the children take lead and follow their interest. You will keep them captivated so much longer and they will all be so much happier...
hoopinglady 05:09 AM 11-10-2011
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
Wow, Hoopinglady! That sounds so FUN! I'd imagine your children would love it! I'm not sure how it would work for me, this year at least, since I do a themed curriculum. Plus we're in a state rating system, and in order to move up to the next level, they have to look over my curriculum and the way I do things to make sure I do it the "right way" (lol, the way the professionals say is best. And one of those things is to base it on themes). I kind of enjoy doing themes with them, though, because each week or every other week (however long the theme lasts) it's all new stuff to them. It seems to connect everything together (like glue ). But that's for me, with my specific group. Who knows what my group will be by next year. Half of them will be going to Kindergarten next year, so half the group will be all new children. Each new batch (lol) seems to require an all new way of doing things.
But, goodness sakes, you seem to have so many really neat ideas for your children. You definitely need to go for it and implement it in your group!

I'm getting there.

Themes are best for children???

I am glad you found something that works and that everyone enjoys. I totally feel like I am reinventing the wheel most of the time.
dEHmom 11:28 AM 11-10-2011
My coordinator forwarded this just now, it's really cool!!!!!!!

It's a science category but check it out....

http://www.scienceworld.ca/preschool

lots of fun things like going for a walk and learning about the wind, what does the wind move, etc.
sanderson 09:18 PM 11-22-2011
You guys have shared such wonderful ideas, highly commendable & I will be utilizing them all for my curriculum. This science link is so informative and has so many innovative ideas to make tiny tots involved.
joy 03:01 PM 11-27-2011
Ok, this is not an easy task! Just curious, why reinvent the wheel? There are so many curriculums out there, but good for you.

First, you must define curriculum. People think it's a schedule of themes. It's not. A curriculum is like a roadmap to get to a certain place. So there is a beginning, the journey and finally the destination.

Divide the concept into three parts:
1. Your philosophy on teaching young children including research, strategies, child development, how children are viewed and the role of the teacher.
2. Describe how you will implement the following areas into the curriculum: literacy, mathematics, science, the arts, music, social studies, social-emotional skills, family involvement, classroom environment, objectives on development and learning and assessment.
3. The role of teacher, child, (is it teacher directed, child directed, a combination...) and role of family.
4. What your curriculum does for the child(ren) the objectives, the benefits, how it is implemented and again make certain that all information is research based.
5. Include weekly planning forms and schedules for what happens in the course of the day.
6. Be sure to include goals of curriculum as the last part, your destination.

Good luck
Tags:curriculum, curriculum - websites, curriculum on a budget, curriculum websites, curriculums
Reply Up