Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Activity Time For 18months-24months
Abigail 10:56 PM 12-31-2011
I will have three kids starting between the ages of 18 months and 24 months over the next two weeks. I have a block of time in my schedule I'm going to have difficulty with.

8:30-9:45 is "circle time" for doing the calendar and finger plays and singing songs to the weather chart which transitions into "group activity" for doing a craft and curriculum time/preschool time.

With the ages I have what can I do for the hour of time instead of just free play? What messy and crafty projects could we do on a regular basis even just for 15 minutes? I do have large crayons and triangular crayons, but I need to have more ideas for this young age group while I get to know the kids and keep a good start to a solid routine.
Blackcat31 07:26 AM 01-01-2012
Children at the age you are taking do not always do well with organized activities. If you are looking to fill time in your schedule after circle time, I would suggest doing some sort of physical activity. Try a large motor game such as using the parachute, dancing or Simon Says. Anything that gets their little bodies moving after having a sit down activity (such as Circle) is a good way to go.

Free play is an important part of learning for children and the benefits of it should never be underestimated. The level in which you choose to be involved in the free play will be important as well.

I think too many providers are looking to teach children under 3 academic type skills when in reality, this age needs to learn self-help skills, self-regulation and awareness as well as how to interact with their peers in a pro-social manner and free-play is the ideal way to teach these skills.
melskids 08:28 AM 01-01-2012
Originally Posted by Child Care:
I will have three kids starting between the ages of 18 months and 24 months over the next two weeks. I have a block of time in my schedule I'm going to have difficulty with.

8:30-9:45 is "circle time" for doing the calendar and finger plays and singing songs to the weather chart which transitions into "group activity" for doing a craft and curriculum time/preschool time.

With the ages I have what can I do for the hour of time instead of just free play? What messy and crafty projects could we do on a regular basis even just for 15 minutes? I do have large crayons and triangular crayons, but I need to have more ideas for this young age group while I get to know the kids and keep a good start to a solid routine.
You're circle time is 1 hour and 15 minutes?! Or is that a typo? none of my kids would EVER sit that long!

...and I agree with blackcat 100% !
Abigail 11:18 AM 01-01-2012
I do have free play in the morning and afternoon for over an hour. Circle time is only 10-15 minutes then it leads to group activities in the craft room where I would eventually use this time to teach a preschool curriculum then we get ready to go outside and take bathroom breaks/diaper changes so it's not that long of a time frame.

I'm looking for craft ideas or messy projects I should fill a few days of the week with. Maybe I could add a music cd each day after circle time for dance in the morning?

OK, here is a thought. Free play is from arrival to breakfast at 8:00. Breakfast ends around 8:20 so maybe I could have free play before and after breakfast then at 9:00 start circle time for 10 minutes then do music after circle time and then start a messy project at 9:30 and try to be cleaned up and outside by 10:15? I just can't go outside much before 10 because it's cold outside.
Unregistered 11:14 AM 01-08-2012
Hi there
well, im looking for help in this are too but I have found that my own kids (ages 3,2, &1) love pouring activites.
So I let them use beans, or pasta or rice (i try not to do rice with the 1 yr old) that occupies them for a good 15 minutes, I let them use spoons, scoops, tongs, cups.
I also fingerpaints, goop, glue activites and coloring.
I find that they get bored of activities REALLY fast like im talking 5-10 minutes MAX for most things. They love playing outside (im not an outdoorsy person at all) but i take them for a walk either down to the playground or convenient store and back that takes up some time in my day too.
I have been watching one older girl who is about 5 and her parents dont make her nap anymore which is difficult. So i let her play board games, do worksheets, and have some computer time. the younger kids like to watch her as she plays games on the computer.

Honestly, even the 5 year old doesnt have much of an attention span. So I really dont know what do to with her
Sunchimes 02:07 PM 01-08-2012
I was going to ask the exact same thing. My kids are 16/17 months. I think we are all bored and I need to spice things up a bit. We've had so much rain lately (this is Texas--rain is an event and no one has rain gear). and we are sick to death of the play room.

The teacher in me wants crayons and abc's and tying their shoes. In reality, they are still trying to stack 3 blocks and climb on the activity table. ;-) I've changed the toys as much as I can with what I have. I don't do circle yet, but I think it may be time to start it. I need to make some felt things for the weather calendar, but that's easy enough.

I think winter is getting us down already.
mommacat 07:18 PM 01-11-2012
I have six 12 to 24 month olds in my class. We do a morning circle time opening with the I look through my window song/finger play,and ending with a fast paced dance. In between I read a couple of books,I highly recommend My many color days by Dr.Suess. For a good messy activity sticky-side up is great fun,this requires glue and whatever type of confetti you deem appropriate! Good luck,I hope this helps
dave4him 05:21 PM 01-17-2012
I have four under one right now, one of those will be 2 in a few weeks so i know the feeling about activity time. I have to focus more on the two year old for coming up with creative stuff to do since she came from a daycare and had craft stuff all the time so her mom expects it. Still not sure what to do other then coloring pages as much as we can. My five year old enjoys those so it works. We try to have free play, music time, coloring time, educational video's, pretty much just have fun!
Tags:activities, adjustments, art, crafts, curriculum, preschool, schedule, time, toddler
Reply Up