Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Purchased vs Create Your Own Curriculum
Unregistered 08:07 AM 02-07-2012
I've been creating my own curriculum but lately I feel like all my spare time is being spent on planning and prepping. I'm spending money on ink, paper, and specific supplies for projects. I'm starting to wonder if I should take the easy road and purchase a curriculum. I currently have 4 preschoolers in care between the ages of 3 and 5 and it's lots of work! I also have one infant and another one starting in a couple weeks and finding time to get everything planned and ready is getting harder and harder by the day.

Does anyone use a purchased curriculum or used one in the past?
Which one?
Pros/Cons?
Likes/Dislikes?
daycare 11:14 AM 02-07-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I've been creating my own curriculum but lately I feel like all my spare time is being spent on planning and prepping. I'm spending money on ink, paper, and specific supplies for projects. I'm starting to wonder if I should take the easy road and purchase a curriculum. I currently have 4 preschoolers in care between the ages of 3 and 5 and it's lots of work! I also have one infant and another one starting in a couple weeks and finding time to get everything planned and ready is getting harder and harder by the day.

Does anyone use a purchased curriculum or used one in the past?
Which one?
Pros/Cons?
Likes/Dislikes?
I used to do my own too, but stopped for the same reasons such as yours. I do a lot of learn through play but now am using funshine express and so far I love it...

I have tried other preswritten like Mother goose time and I hate that one...lol
itlw8 12:10 PM 02-07-2012
I find most purchased ones are mostly work sheets. and the precut crafts ... I am SOOOOO against both.

Over time I have placed items for themes in boxes so if I want to do say under the sea I get that box and it has book, some toy fish, songs, some ideas for art activities, Stuff like that

I keep a fully stocked art closet so I go grab the smockes, paper, paint and brushes takes less that 5 minutes Same if we were going to do a collage. My kids are now very creative and will think of something else they need for their creation. I also write down what they say about their creation so they can tell mom.
Cat Herder 01:47 PM 02-07-2012
I use Funshine Buttercups and it does not use worksheeets....

They have lesson plans, many are role play, finger play, artsy/craftsy, songs, dances, puzzles, games, sign language, manipulative toys, board books, art supplies etc in the box WITH a teachers guide.

I LOVE the parents newsletters with book/supply lists for them to use at home to compliment what we are doing here. The parents go to the website and buy stuff for us, too.. It has been pretty awesome!

Each activity only takes about 5-10 minutes (all art is done in stages) and WE decide to move on to something "more interesting" or expand on what was on the calendar for today...

It is really more daily inspiration than boxed curriculum for me....
itlw8 03:44 PM 02-08-2012
I may need to check that out Thanks
Cat Herder 04:23 AM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I may need to check that out Thanks
Try out one of the sample kits. They are only $10... WELL worth it.
Heidi 08:49 AM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Try out one of the sample kits. They are only $10... WELL worth it.
I just ordered one. It's either that our high reach for me. I am working towards 4 stars, so whatever I do it must be in alignment with WI early learning standards.
Heidi 08:50 AM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
I just ordered one. It's either that our high reach for me. I am working towards 4 stars, so whatever I do it must be in alignment with WI early learning standards.
Hey! I just looked, and apparently it is!
Kim 09:56 AM 02-10-2012
(I'm the OP- forgot my login password so my first post was unregistered)

I thought it over and I think I'm going to stick to doing my own. It's better to plan based on the abilities and levels of the kids and purchasing a curriculum is so costly. I liked itlw8's suggestion of keeping themes together in boxes and I'll just add to it as I go. I went out last night and bought 10 large storage tubs- one for each month of the school year (Sept-May) and one for June through August for summer themes. I stayed up late last night and organized everything I have according to the month I teach it. I think if I just get myself organized it won't be as overwhelming. Now to organize all my resources for alphabet...
HelenS1985 10:01 AM 03-25-2012
I just ordered this series, as I am new to YEC and eating up the information. Has anyone used these books as a science curriculum? There are study guides, but I am wondering if they can be used as HS credit for science, or how extensive each book would get like how many books for a full science course for 7th or 8th grade, or what to add from this series to the science in the WP guides for Ancients and Middle Ages. Any ideas or experiences?
Tags:curriculum
Reply Up