Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Do Any Of You Provide Child Care Without Providing A Pre-School Program?
rhondawarren 12:47 PM 04-05-2012
I am just curious as to whether any of you provide childcare but do not provide a pre-school program?

I provide Unlicensed In Home childcare and I do not currently have a "Pre-School Program" in place. I do however do activities with the children such as reading to them, letters, flashcards and things. I just do not have a pre-school program in place.

My three children attend an Online Public School and they do their schooling at home. Well my youngest this year is in Kindergarten. So I have taken the opportunity this year to do the things that his school required and done those things with the children. We read stories, work on letters and things like that. I done this with the children I provide childcare for while doing my own son's schoolwork.

I am wondering if a Pre-School Program is something I should have in place??

I dont want to create more responsibilities than I am able to handle and one of my main reasons for wanting to do a business from home was to be there for my children and their schoolwork. So I dont want to over do it.

The children in my care definately stay busy with fun activities, listening to stories, outdoor play and lots of fun educational things. I was just wondering if it was necessary to have a pre-school program in place?

Since I am an unlicensed provider I watch a very small group of children.
Country Kids 12:56 PM 04-05-2012
I do but......looking back over the years I probably should have done things differently even though it always worked out.

I homeschooled for 7 years and it was always a challenge doing the preschool and trying to have my own getting school work done during that time. I always felt torn between being there doing the childcare and then having to stop in the middle of something to help my own kids. Some days it was very tearful for me. Also, it was much easier K-2 grade and when they hit third we did an online school and thats when it became very hard for me personally.

So if not doing a "Preschool" is working just do it the way you are. Remember this is your business and you make it what you want.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me and I'll answer them the best I can.
MarinaVanessa 12:57 PM 04-05-2012
I don't do it and to be honest I tried but I didn't like doing it. I prefer the developmental approach vs the scholastic approach and I'd rather the kids learn to socialize and learn the basics through playing. Maybe once I finish taking my child development courses and do the curriculum courses I'll feel like I know what Im doing and I'll give it another shot . I just feel like it's a lot of work when most of my DC kids are under 3yrs kwim?
rhondawarren 01:01 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I do but......looking back over the years I probably should have done things differently even though it always worked out.

I homeschooled for 7 years and it was always a challenge doing the preschool and trying to have my own getting school work done during that time. I always felt torn between being there doing the childcare and then having to stop in the middle of something to help my own kids. Some days it was very tearful for me. Also, it was much easier K-2 grade and when they hit third we did an online school and thats when it became very hard for me personally.

So if not doing a "Preschool" is working just do it the way you are. Remember this is your business and you make it what you want.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me and I'll answer them the best I can.

My children have always attended traditional public school. So this was our first year doing any type of homeschooling at all. They attend INCA. My youngest is in kindergarten, he is learning to read and all of that fun stuff. So for me ... trying to make sure I give him what he needs for his school and then creating a whole pre-school program for the dck's and then helping my two oldest with their school work whom are in 4th and 6th right now its a task

So .... thats my big concern with creating more on myself. We have a very fun-filled day even without a preschool program. I am very active with the kids when they are here, I read them stories, we play, dance, listen to kids music like ABC songs, flashcards and more. Its just not in a set program.

I wasnt sure if everyone offers a pre-school program now with their childcare or if some didnt.
AmyLeigh 01:09 PM 04-05-2012
My children are in an online school also. My son is in K this year using K12 curriculum. Are you using this too? My plan is to go independent next year. Love the curriculum, the virtual school...not so much. But that's a whole 'nother subject.
I don't do a formal pre-K curriculum. We read ds's LA assignments together during lunch, so all the dck's get to listen to the stories too. We discuss science when we are outside. We are outside a lot. Ds's science is almost all done for this year.
The biggest reason is because I don't believe children need a formal preschool curriculum to learn. My 2 yo dcg is already counting. My 3 yo dd is already learning phonics. Dcb 4 yo just started writing his name. Dcb 5 yo is more than ready academically for Kindy next year. I have available to them pre-K worksheets, time4learning subscription at K level, and a ton of books, K12 supplies, etc. If they want to do them, they are more than welcome to. It makes me laugh when I remind my children to start their school work and the dcks ask if they can do school too.
Blackcat31 01:15 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I don't do it and to be honest I tried but I didn't like doing it. I prefer the developmental approach vs the scholastic approach and I'd rather the kids learn to socialize and learn the basics through playing. Maybe once I finish taking my child development courses and do the curriculum courses I'll feel like I know what Im doing and I'll give it another shot . I just feel like it's a lot of work when most of my DC kids are under 3yrs kwim?
I agree with this....and I did go back to school and get my education. I find that the children I care for are all under Kindy age and really need developmentally appropriate activites that help them learn self-help skills and independence vs academic skills.

The reading, writing and all the 1,2,3's and A,B,C's come naturally if the environment is supportive of their natural development. I will leave the actual teaching to the teachers in public school and will instead focus on manners, emotional maturity, self help, taking turns, sharing and how to use silverware and cups without lids instead.
rhondawarren 01:23 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
My children are in an online school also. My son is in K this year using K12 curriculum. Are you using this too? My plan is to go independent next year. Love the curriculum, the virtual school...not so much. But that's a whole 'nother subject.
I don't do a formal pre-K curriculum. We read ds's LA assignments together during lunch, so all the dck's get to listen to the stories too. We discuss science when we are outside. We are outside a lot. Ds's science is almost all done for this year.
The biggest reason is because I don't believe children need a formal preschool curriculum to learn. My 2 yo dcg is already counting. My 3 yo dd is already learning phonics. Dcb 4 yo just started writing his name. Dcb 5 yo is more than ready academically for Kindy next year. I have available to them pre-K worksheets, time4learning subscription at K level, and a ton of books, K12 supplies, etc. If they want to do them, they are more than welcome to. It makes me laugh when I remind my children to start their school work and the dcks ask if they can do school too.
Hi Amy,

My children are attending Indiana Connections Academy which is an online public school. Maybe you should check them out?? I really love the school. The teaching kindergarten myself was a little different for sure But ... the school is very supportive and helpful.
Country Kids 01:26 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by rhondawarren:
Hi Amy,

My children are attending Indiana Connections Academy which is an online public school. Maybe you should check them out?? I really love the school. The teaching kindergarten myself was a little different for sure But ... the school is very supportive and helpful.
We did Connections Academy-loved our teacher we had that year! It was alot of work though with doing childcare also. Do not want to discourage you! I just wish I could have done it and not have been working.
rhondawarren 01:27 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree with this....and I did go back to school and get my education. I find that the children I care for are all under Kindy age and really need developmentally appropriate activites that help them learn self-help skills and independence vs academic skills.

The reading, writing and all the 1,2,3's and A,B,C's come naturally if the environment is supportive of their natural development. I will leave the actual teaching to the teachers in public school and will instead focus on manners, emotional maturity, self help, taking turns, sharing and how to use silverware and cups without lids instead.
These are all important things to learn too

My children didnt attend pre-school because I felt kindergarten was early enough for them to go to school. Of course my children never stayed with a sitter either though. THey always stayed with my sister or mom.

We definately work on all that you said! As well as some learning too like ABC's, colors, shapes and other fun stuff like that. Just not in a "planned out program".
rhondawarren 01:29 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
We did Connections Academy-loved our teacher we had that year! It was alot of work though with doing childcare also. Do not want to discourage you! I just wish I could have done it and not have been working.
Girl your not going to discourage me .... I already know lol. Ive done it this entire school year. So believe me I totally hear you there. But ... its gotten easier. It was really tough in the beginning in fact ... I decided to only care for one child while I was helping my kids adjust to their schooling. When we bought this house and moved here in Feb I decided that they were pretty well adjusted to school and I now could take on more children. Especially since we have a much larger home now.
AmyLeigh 01:41 PM 04-05-2012
Hi Amy,

Thank you for the suggestion. There is a Connections Academy here, too. We have been using California Virtual Academy for four years now. For the most part it has been a positive experience. Between us growing as a home educating family (literally and figuratively) and the school being forced to change due to State regulations....it just makes sense for us to go our own way. I'm really excited about it.
rhondawarren 01:43 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
Thank you for the suggestion. There is a Connections Academy here, too. We have been using California Virtual Academy for four years now. For the most part it has been a positive experience. Between us growing as a home educating family (literally and figuratively) and the school being forced to change due to State regulations....it just makes sense for us to go our own way. I'm really excited about it.
Thats wonderful. I wish you the best of luck!!
sahm2three 01:46 PM 04-05-2012
I do not provide a preschool program. I am NOT a teacher. I am a replacement for mommy and daddy while they are working. This is not to say that we don't "teach". I try to use every moment I can to teach them something. ABC's, counting, colors, etc. We also focus on life skills, taking turns, sharing, interacting with others, washing hands, covering our mouths when we cough or sneeze and on and on. They have ALL the rest of their lives to go to school. They have a very very short bit of time to be kids! I try to embrace that!
cheerfuldom 01:46 PM 04-05-2012
I dont provide a preschool program because I feel that that is something that would just add stress to my life. Once you offer a program, there can be issues with parents as the critique and comment on what you do and do not include, what their kid does and does not know, what you should and should not be doing.

Right now, I do the basic ABCs 123s type activities but all the parents know, I don't force kids to participate. They may pick up on learning here, they may not. I refuse to have a formal curriculum and dont make any guarantees as far as goals or timelines. We learn as we play. My own 4 year old is quickly learning everything I offer her but none of the daycare kids retain much at all. My own 2 year old is "getting" some of it but my daycare 2 year old is still very babyish, unclear speech, little retention on this type of thing and so we work at their pace and if mom wants a preschool, she will have to go elsewhere.
rhondawarren 01:52 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I do not provide a preschool program. I am NOT a teacher. I am a replacement for mommy and daddy while they are working. This is not to say that we don't "teach". I try to use every moment I can to teach them something. ABC's, counting, colors, etc. We also focus on life skills, taking turns, sharing, interacting with others, washing hands, covering our mouths when we cough or sneeze and on and on. They have ALL the rest of their lives to go to school. They have a very very short bit of time to be kids! I try to embrace that!
Wow!!! You sound just like me!!!
Thats what Ive always thought. But I wondered if I needed to offer a pre-school program in order to be competitive in Child Care so to speak. None of the parents that Ive had so far have even questioned what I do with the children or even asked about a pre-school program. I know they realize I do things with the children. In fact the one that has been coming to me for a year, his parents tell me all of the time just how much he has learned since he started coming here That makes me feel good and thats without a pre-school program in place.
momma2girls 02:43 PM 04-05-2012
I do not have a preschool program, but do preschool things with children over the age of about 2 1/2- abc's, counting, nursery rhymes, fingerplays, singing, dancing, shapes, etc...... we do something different everyday. I have circletime, weather and date for age 3 and over.
harperluu 03:37 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

This is perfectly stated, and my philosophy exactly. For me, early childhood is about nurturing and life skills. When someone asks if I have a preschool program, I always say that we do preschool activities but do not have a formal preschool curriculum. My art tends to be open-ended rather than project based. We spend mornings outside soaking up the fresh air and working on large motor skills. Nearly every moment in early childhood is a moment of discovery and learning. Children will not have a time in there lives where they can be so carefree until they retire.
Sunchimes 04:03 PM 04-05-2012
I don't offer a formal program. I am rabidly against pre-K or forcing a child into formal learning before the age of 6. I wouldn't even send mine to kindergarten if I had kids. I won't be part of it, but I know that I'll lose all of my kids when they turn 4 because our school district offers full day pre-K. Of course they are going to ditch me for the free child care they get through the school. Of the 4 I have on my roll now, 1 will turn 4 ten days before the start of pre-K. The others missed the cut off by 7 and 10 days, so I'll have them an extra year (of course, that's assuming I still have them 2 years from now.)

That said, I've been teaching them since they were 6 mo and 10 months old. I never say ball, I say round ball or red doll. I never say blocks, I say one block or two blocks. In a book, I say "That's a dog, woof woof". The oldest knows almost every animal sound. Her cat is priceless. I am constantly using color or number or shape words, even though I know they aren't ready for them. I think that when their minds are ready, they already have those reference points. They can already bring me the yellow block at 19 and 20 months old. I'm not sure why I do that, it just is a natural thing for me--I think every moment is a teaching moment for a young child. I even did it for my grandkids and for the neighborhood kids that always hung out on my porch.

I have no plans to have a formal program unless they decide to leave them with me instead of going to pre-K.
LK5kids 10:05 AM 11-25-2012
I love to teach so I do offer a preschool program.
My preschool time sounds a lot like what many of you are doing who feel as tho you don't offer preschool activities.

I am a licensed early childhood K-6 teacher.
I believe in free play wholeheartedly. When I taught kindergarten I made sure my class had 45 min. of free play. I had literacy built into the learning centers but they could go to the doll house, blocks, sensory table! Etc., as long as there was room. They chose where to learn and play.

In my early childhood center I teach with "teachable" moments, do not use things like flash cards, etc.
I do plan my day and have a daily circle time.
I teach with flannel board stories & activities
Songs, movement & movement
Story time, etc.

I also have a planned creative, open-ended art project about 3 x per wk.

I think we are all offering lots of great learning experiences. It shows there is a wide variety of ways to teach. Hats off to all you wonderful providers!!!
CozyHome 09:31 PM 12-30-2012
If you talk to the children all the time about anything that comes up inside and outside about nature, life, shapes, colours, you are teaching them. I have weekly or bi-weekly themes and get my library books, crafts and lessons to match them so that I'm planting little seeds in the children's minds.

It makes me happy to think that I'm a teacher, not just a chef and bum changer!
nanglgrl 10:50 PM 12-30-2012
My daughter is in the free preschool offered by our state. I started her there because she needed time away from the daycare. She's 4 and all of my daycare kids are 2. She comes home from preschool every day and tells me what they talked about and so far they haven't done anything that we don't do here.
They don't send home crafts...every piece of art she makes is entirely her own creation. The state offered preschool is only about 4 1/2 hours so during that time they eat lunch, snack, have outside time and free play/center time. The centers are the same we have here (reading area, family center, art center...etc.) I think a lot of people over think what preschool is. It's nothing like kindergarten and is virtually the same as most good daycares with the exception of having all one age group.

I don't know how it works in other states but here the free preschool is only a half day and they do not provide transportation so it's incredibly difficult for people who are employed to use. My daughter rides with a friend who's mom works from home. The site where my daughter is at does not offer before/after care and they are also limited on how many children they accept. I'm pretty sure most if not all of the sites are the same.
MarinaVanessa 08:58 AM 12-31-2012
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
My preschool time sounds a lot like what many of you are doing who feel as tho you don't offer preschool activities.

I believe in free play wholeheartedly. When I taught kindergarten I made sure my class had 45 min. of free play. I had literacy built into the learning centers but they could go to the doll house, blocks, sensory table! Etc., as long as there was room. They chose where to learn and play.

In my early childhood center I teach with "teachable" moments, do not use things like flash cards, etc.
Story time, etc.

I think we are all offering lots of great learning experiences. It shows there is a wide variety of ways to teach. Hats off to all you wonderful providers!!!
My DC kids get a full-day of free play . I guess that's also what a lot of us here do and that's what I mean about me not offering a pre-school curriculum. I don't plan it, or prepare for it. It's all "teachable moments" Our "circle time" isn't even a circle lol. It's all the kids playing in the playroom and we talk about what day it is and look out the window or go outside to see what the weather is like and such and see where the conversation takes us.

We learn only through play, talking ans song. No worksheets, no crafts. It's all child-led here.
Scout 12:00 PM 01-07-2013
I am just curious as to whether any of you provide childcare but do not provide a pre-school program?

I provide Unlicensed In Home childcare and I do not currently have a "Pre-School Program" in place. I do however do activities with the children such as reading to them, letters, flashcards and things. I just do not have a pre-school program in place.

My three children attend an Online Public School and they do their schooling at home. Well my youngest this year is in Kindergarten. So I have taken the opportunity this year to do the things that his school required and done those things with the children. We read stories, work on letters and things like that. I done this with the children I provide childcare for while doing my own son's schoolwork.

I am wondering if a Pre-School Program is something I should have in place??

I dont want to create more responsibilities than I am able to handle and one of my main reasons for wanting to do a business from home was to be there for my children and their schoolwork. So I dont want to over do it.

The children in my care definately stay busy with fun activities, listening to stories, outdoor play and lots of fun educational things. I was just wondering if it was necessary to have a pre-school program in place?

Since I am an unlicensed provider I watch a very small group of children.
I don't have a program. We do a lot of baking though! The kids basically free play most of the day. We will go for walks in warmer weather. I have them watch videos on Stranger Safety or house safety so I guess they are learning a bit! I always have them help me make applesauce, cookies, banana bread, and so on. They love it!
providerandmomof4 12:27 PM 01-07-2013
I have a monthly theme and we check out library books weekly to coincide with the theme. They also pick out one book a piece of their choice weekly. Even the babies, the older kids will pick one out they think that they would like. We do some sort of craft daily, and have a learning time where we focus upon our ABC's, colors, shapes, etc. Some are further along than others. I don't force, if one or all the dck's don't want to do the project at project time, then that's fine, however the tv is not on and only the books and puzzles are out to play with.
mamac 04:38 PM 01-17-2013
What exactly defines a "formal" preschool curriculum vs. play based learning vs. someone like me who really has no clue what they're doing but wants to have a schedule of things to do so the kids will learn. (with no experience other than raising my own 2 kids)

I want to call my DC ***XX family daycare and preschool. I added the preschool part because I want parents to know that I will make every effort to teach their children and ready them for kindergarten and not just plop them in front of a tv all day, but I don't want to fall short of their expectations either.

If my experience with this goes well my husband and I are considering getting a separate building and expanding in the future. I think advertising with the preschool name is more prestigious than just a "daycare" especially when there are people out there that just don't "get" what DC providers do.
Play Care 03:25 AM 01-18-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:

Story time, etc.

This is how I do it as well. My kids LOVE their "school" time and always ask when we are going to do it. When I first started providing child care I did not offer any formal preschool activities - it was free play with teachable moments through the day. But I noticed there was a natural lull at a certain time in the AM and it was perfect for having a more formal story time/theme discussions. I also have ADD tendancies so when I wasn't offering formal preschool activities there were many days I felt that I got so overwhelmed with diaper changes, potty training, preparing meals, cleaning up from meals, etc. etc. etc. that I wondered if I had even talked to the kids at all, much less had/took the time to recognize and capitalize on teachable moments.

My formal learning time is based on the children, their ages, interests and maturity level. I don't use worksheets or flashcards. If the color "red" is one of our themes we color/draw on red paper, have a variety of red blocks in the sensory bin, paint with red paint, etc. Out of a 10+ hour day our formal learning time is tops 20-30 minutes of it.
This works well for me, because no matter how busy the day gets, I *know* that we had a set time to do certain things. It also takes the pressure off me trying to remember at the end of a long day what I did with the kids
Laurel 05:22 PM 05-19-2013
Originally Posted by sahm2three:

Laurel
Laurel 05:36 PM 05-19-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
This is how I do it as well. My kids LOVE their "school" time and always ask when we are going to do it. When I first started providing child care I did not offer any formal preschool activities - it was free play with teachable moments through the day. But I noticed there was a natural lull at a certain time in the AM and it was perfect for having a more formal story time/theme discussions. I also have ADD tendancies so when I wasn't offering formal preschool activities there were many days I felt that I got so overwhelmed with diaper changes, potty training, preparing meals, cleaning up from meals, etc. etc. etc. that I wondered if I had even talked to the kids at all, much less had/took the time to recognize and capitalize on teachable moments.

My formal learning time is based on the children, their ages, interests and maturity level. I don't use worksheets or flashcards. If the color "red" is one of our themes we color/draw on red paper, have a variety of red blocks in the sensory bin, paint with red paint, etc. Out of a 10+ hour day our formal learning time is tops 20-30 minutes of it.
This works well for me, because no matter how busy the day gets, I *know* that we had a set time to do certain things. It also takes the pressure off me trying to remember at the end of a long day what I did with the kids
I always thought about documenting what I do and now I kind of do but it kind of happened by accident. I don't do a preschool program but, like others, do a lot of educational things everyday just in the course of life.

I noticed I was documenting because I have my phone camera and take pictures of the children cause they are so cute doing things. I send them daily or almost daily to the parents...just one or two pics not a ton. They love it and going through the photos gives me a visual reminder of how much stuff we really do.

Laurel
itlw8 11:49 AM 05-20-2013
bang bang bang.. hear that? that is my head against the wall.... ALL of us that care for preschool age children have a preschool program. The question is what kind do you have.

For everyone that says I do not do worksheets or parent pleaser crafts we just play and explore. We read dance color and have fun... YEAH!!!! that Is what preschool is supposed to be. You are a wonderful preschool teacher if you do these things.

yes we can al make it better and planning can help with that... but really if you listen to what the kids are interested in learning you can not go wrong.

READ READ READ dance, sing explore nature. what a wonderful preschool experience your children have.
Blackcat31 11:50 AM 05-20-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
bang bang bang.. hear that? that is my head against the wall....

MarinaVanessa 03:53 PM 05-20-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
bang bang bang.. hear that? that is my head against the wall.... ALL of us that care for preschool age children have a preschool program. The question is what kind do you have.

For everyone that says I do not do worksheets or parent pleaser crafts we just play and explore. We read dance color and have fun... YEAH!!!! that Is what preschool is supposed to be. You are a wonderful preschool teacher if you do these things.

yes we can al make it better and planning can help with that... but really if you listen to what the kids are interested in learning you can not go wrong.

READ READ READ dance, sing explore nature. what a wonderful preschool experience your children have.
Although I agree with you there are those that don't do any type of "program" at all with the DC children. For example, the entire day is free play, they don't sing songs, don't do art, they watch a lot of TV etc. I don't think that all child care programs are like this but unfortunately there are many that pretty much are just an adult body to keep the kids from getting hurt and feed them while the parent is at work.
kimmills 11:16 AM 05-21-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Although I agree with you there are those that don't do any type of "program" at all with the DC children. For example, the entire day is free play, they don't sing songs, don't do art, they watch a lot of TV etc. I don't think that all child care programs are like this but unfortunately there are many that pretty much are just an adult body to keep the kids from getting hurt and feed them while the parent is at work.
I have found a very nice daycare center for my kid called Little Kingdom Childcare. Its in Encinitas and offers good child development programs. Hoping for the best for my child I think I have found a good preschool for my kid.
Josiegirl 03:53 AM 06-14-2013
No 'official' preschool here. But I believe we are all teachers of these children. Every moment and activity is a teaching opportunity. And I use that to the fullest advantage.
I guess I feel my daycare is more like a 'home away from home' and not meant to be a school. But each stage the child/ren go through I take it and run with it. When 3 of them were starting to show an interest in spelling their names, I went crazy with signs throughout the house.
Just because we don't use all the terms a preschool might, we are no less teachers than they are. We just offer it a bit more informally.
Tags:curriculum, preschool curriculum
Reply Up