Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Curriculum Based on Stories
FCCLife 11:47 AM 01-13-2016
What are some good preschool children's books to base a curriculum off of? I am thinking one book a week. Any ideas?
Ariana 12:18 PM 01-13-2016
Any Eric Carles Books like The Hungry Caterpillar or the Shy Tortoise etc.
KIDZRMYBIZ 12:18 PM 01-13-2016
Everything by Eric Carle and Laura Numeroff and Steven Kellogg, off the top of my head. Lots of authors have websites with free printable activities and ideas.

Look on Scholastic's website. They have great ideas too!
daycare 01:19 PM 01-13-2016
pinterest..

This is how I run my program. All off of books

My fav is the the little mouse, the red ripe strawberry and the big hungry bear.

lots of games and activities on pinterest
Unregistered 02:06 PM 01-13-2016
I think it makes more sense to choose what you are thinking about teaching about first. Like "hm, I need a book with worms for worm composting" not a title or author to start with. Then you can use the book you find and do more from there. Example for worm composting idea: the book you find on the subject, dirt sensory play, get real worms from a nursery, etc etc...
Josiegirl 03:26 PM 01-13-2016
Jan Brett books are great too, for creating a curriculum with. I'm thinking The Hat and The Mitten, Gingerbread Baby; I love Jan Brett.
Rockgirl 06:44 AM 01-14-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Jan Brett books are great too, for creating a curriculum with. I'm thinking The Hat and The Mitten, Gingerbread Baby; I love Jan Brett.
There are some fantastic printables for her books! A few years ago, I printed and laminated the mask prices for The Mitten, and attached craft sticks for holding them in front of their faces. They love acting out the story and being the animals!
KIDZRMYBIZ 06:44 AM 01-14-2016
I was going to suggest this author today, too. Along with Leo Lionni. Can't believe they didn't both come to mind immediately yesterday!
auntymimi 07:00 AM 01-14-2016
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs! I did a sensory bin for this one with cooked spaghetti noodles, play food, and my train table village. Kids lost their minds!
I also do random books, like art books. We looked at a Georgia Okeefe art book at the library this summer and spent a week painting giant flowers and such. Mo williams is awesome and fun to do too.
Josiegirl 02:24 AM 02-09-2016
I was curious as to how your curriculum planning was coming with the books? I'd love to do this; my dcks lovelovelove books. How have you chosen the books, topics, activities, etc.?
You could also do Fairy Tales and Nursery Rhymes.
Blackcat31 06:10 AM 02-09-2016
I was curious as to how your curriculum planning was coming with the books? I'd love to do this; my dcks lovelovelove books. How have you chosen the books, topics, activities, etc.?
You could also do Fairy Tales and Nursery Rhymes.
Search Pinterest for Curriculum based on children's books and you'll find pre-planned curriculum units on almost every popular childrens book out there....

LOTS of really cute ideas and pre-planned goodness!

For example:

http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.net/20...-unit-studies/
hwichlaz 08:47 AM 07-30-2017
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I was going to suggest this author today, too. Along with Leo Lionni. Can't believe they didn't both come to mind immediately yesterday!
Jann Brett has a website with tons of craft ideas and free printables.
Josiegirl 03:46 AM 08-12-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
pinterest..

This is how I run my program. All off of books

My fav is the the little mouse, the red ripe strawberry and the big hungry bear.

lots of games and activities on pinterest
I know this post is old but do you still do this? And rely on Pinterest mostly? I'll only have 2 3 yos this school year, unless I can find another over 2 yo dck. But I'd love to incorporate a casual story-inspired curriculum. Something easy-peasy, flexible and fun. And these 2 dcks love books.
daycare 08:12 AM 08-12-2017
I know this post is old but do you still do this? And rely on Pinterest mostly? I'll only have 2 3 yos this school year, unless I can find another over 2 yo dck. But I'd love to incorporate a casual story-inspired curriculum. Something easy-peasy, flexible and fun. And these 2 dcks love books.
Yes. I read the same book all 5 days. Everything I do is related to the. Ok. From the art, science, water tables and sensory bins.

I love it. The kids love it.
flying_babyb 11:18 PM 08-22-2017
Ok older post but: pete the cat
I love my white shoes- colors
four groovy button- numbers
got class- Math
rocking my school shoes- No fear, roll with the punches
groovy sunglasses- turning a bad day good
new guy- making friends, accepting differences

Theres tons of activities and here's a free teaching guide.
http://assets.readcommoncore.com/res...e_Cat%20TG.pdf

we did pete the cat as a theme for a whole month, did two books a week (stuck to the originals). Ended up doing alot of printable activities, made a book and played with a whole lot of buttons.
cowen 12:08 AM 08-25-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Jann Brett has a website with tons of craft ideas and free printables.
Heard about Jann's work, I will check it out.
Tags:curriculum
Reply Up