Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When DCPs Are On the Fence
Josiegirl 03:13 AM 05-13-2016
With all this talk about preschool and I now have 1 dcm whose child is 4 yo(Just turned 4 this week), I had a quick chat with dcm yesterday at p/u, asking her what her plans are for the fall. Another dcm and her were chatting right in front of me earlier this week about it. So I brought it up to her and she said she's not sure, she's not completely sold on the whole preschool thing.
My question is do I just let it take it's course or should I offer up my opinion? I didn't offer too much yesterday, simply saying it depends on the child.
Also Do I change my plans for the fall, as far as what my curriculum may be, to try and keep her here? I'll also have 2 2yo, and 2 3 yos at that time, along with her(4 yo) and a 9 mo baby. So I'm hoping it'll be easier to have more of a preschool type curriculum.
Right now, we're pretty loose and free, depending on the moods of the day and trying to incorporate what the dcks are interested in, plus trying to get outside more.
childcaremom 03:21 AM 05-13-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
With all this talk about preschool and I now have 1 dcm whose child is 4 yo(Just turned 4 this week), I had a quick chat with dcm yesterday at p/u, asking her what her plans are for the fall. Another dcm and her were chatting right in front of me earlier this week about it. So I brought it up to her and she said she's not sure, she's not completely sold on the whole preschool thing.
My question is do I just let it take it's course or should I offer up my opinion? I didn't offer too much yesterday, simply saying it depends on the child.
Also Do I change my plans for the fall, as far as what my curriculum may be, to try and keep her here? I'll also have 2 2yo, and 2 3 yos at that time, along with her(4 yo) and a 9 mo baby. So I'm hoping it'll be easier to have more of a preschool type curriculum.
Right now, we're pretty loose and free, depending on the moods of the day and trying to incorporate what the dcks are interested in, plus trying to get outside more.
I would start advertising. This is the mom that you held the spot for, too, correct? She can tell you one thing and then change her mind last minute. She may stay. She may leave. I would start advertising because you never know.

I would not make any curriculum changes to try and keep her. She has her own ideas in her mind of what preschool is. No matter your curriculum, it still may not fit her ideal, kwim? I think you should do what YOU want to do. Do you like having a more structured preschool-type environment? Do you like being able to follow the children's lead? I think your answer to that should determine what you do.
daycarediva 03:42 AM 05-13-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I would start advertising. This is the mom that you held the spot for, too, correct? She can tell you one thing and then change her mind last minute. She may stay. She may leave. I would start advertising because you never know.

I would not make any curriculum changes to try and keep her. She has her own ideas in her mind of what preschool is. No matter your curriculum, it still may not fit her ideal, kwim? I think you should do what YOU want to do. Do you like having a more structured preschool-type environment? Do you like being able to follow the children's lead? I think your answer to that should determine what you do.

I wouldn't change my program to accommodate one family.
Mike 04:33 AM 05-13-2016
My question is do I just let it take it's course or should I offer up my opinion?
Giving your opinion is called selling. Nothing wrong with that. To sell anything, you need to tell why your product or service is good or what they want.

I also agree with not making changes just to suit her. Changes are done only if you want to.
Josiegirl 10:45 AM 05-13-2016
Thanks everybody! I think having a more preschool type curriculum would be enjoyed by all the dcks(not including the baby) next year and they'll be more involved and motivated by it. This past year, I started 14 mo twins in Sept. and have had 1 special needs dcg who has been challenging at best(she'll be attending preschool in the fall). My energy level and commitment couldn't handle all of it. But the twins really enjoy doing what the 2-4 yos do now and will be even more ready for it the end of summer. So we'll see. Sounds like fun if you have the right group.
Maybe I'll add something in my handbook, which I'm slowly redoing anyways, about the importance of play.
AmyKidsCo 11:27 AM 05-13-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:
Giving your opinion is called selling. Nothing wrong with that. To sell anything, you need to tell why your product or service is good or what they want.

I also agree with not making changes just to suit her. Changes are done only if you want to.
Ditto.

Bottom line is, you can give your opinion and you can totally redo your curriculum, but in the end she'll do what she thinks is best for herself and her family. I wouldn't bother redoing the curriculum unless you want to do it for yourself - there's no guarantee that it'll change her opinion.
Josiegirl 03:46 PM 05-13-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Ditto.

Bottom line is, you can give your opinion and you can totally redo your curriculum, but in the end she'll do what she thinks is best for herself and her family. I wouldn't bother redoing the curriculum unless you want to do it for yourself - there's no guarantee that it'll change her opinion.
True and that's the way it should be; we need to do what's best for us and so do they.
I do remember when my own kids were little, I sent them to 2 day(mornings only) preschool at 3 yo and 3 day(again only ams) preschool at 4 yo. It was a perfect stepping stone to K when your kids have been with you since birth and need o work on socialization skills. They had everything else they needed, just not being away from Mom.
I guess it would be different if preschool was still just a few hours a week but it's full days around here. I lost a sibling to fulltime prek last fall. She's the type of little girl who really needed her naps and slower days. She's had strep throat 5x since Christmas. I can't say it's because she's in school all day but I'm sure that hasn't helped.
mommyneedsadayoff 04:13 PM 05-13-2016
True and that's the way it should be; we need to do what's best for us and so do they.
I do remember when my own kids were little, I sent them to 2 day(mornings only) preschool at 3 yo and 3 day(again only ams) preschool at 4 yo. It was a perfect stepping stone to K when your kids have been with you since birth and need o work on socialization skills. They had everything else they needed, just not being away from Mom.
I guess it would be different if preschool was still just a few hours a week but it's full days around here. I lost a sibling to fulltime prek last fall. She's the type of little girl who really needed her naps and slower days. She's had strep throat 5x since Christmas. I can't say it's because she's in school all day but I'm sure that hasn't helped.
This is what we do for our daughter. She goes 2 days a week from 9-11 and next year (aug) she will go three days a week. It works great and she loves it. Some fun and socialization, but also plenty of mommy and home time. Only problem is she wants to go every day! I swear she would start kindergarten a year early if I let her
Tags:accommodate a family, curriculum, preschool
Reply Up